I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 08:20:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Which transplant hospital/clinic did you use?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which transplant hospital/clinic did you use?  (Read 13026 times)
Katonsdad

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2007, 04:22:51 PM »

When I first started treatments my Dr. told me to hold out for the dual transplant , Kidney and Pancreas . I was
originall set up with UCSF but I lived in the Orange County Ca area and it was arranged that I could go to UCLA at
Westwood .
I received my transplant at UCLA and they were great . It took 2 operations to get the job done as I was having
severe pain on the 3rd day and they found out that during a sneeze I tore the sutures attaching the pancreas.

The staff there was great and I was able to speak to a few new patients that were having their grafts done at the time.

I have since moved to Richmond VA and being new I did not know any doctors . I went to a Davita center about
a mile away and asked who the nurses and techs liked as a Doctor and chose the one they all liked.
It has worked out great.

Also here in Richmond I found the UNOS building and they have a memorial garden dedicated to Organ Donors .

Katonsdad

Diabetes 1976
Eye issues 1987
Kidney Failure 1997
CAPD 1997 , Stopped 1997 due to infections evey 28 days
Started In Center Hemo 1997
Received Kidney/Pancreas transplant 1999 at UCLA
Wife and I had son in 2001 , by donor for my part (Stopping the illness train)
Kidney failed 2011 , Back on Hemo . Looking to retransplant as the Kidney is still working

Soft kitty, warm kitty,
 little ball of fur,
happy kitty,sleepy kitty,
 purr purr purr ::
Sheldon and Penny on The Big Bng Theory
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2007, 09:18:34 PM »

mrhecht thanks for the info on UTMB and Methodist.  I too am listed with both.   I listed with Methodist first a year ago, then UTMB this past July.  They were very nice to me, I didn't realize that they were having problems.  The coordindator from Methodist that I had been working with actually transferred to UTMB this summer too, so she knew my history and I felt very comfortable. 

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2007, 08:22:51 PM »

Katonsdad, My donor was from Kentucky. His family sent me the link to the UNOS Tribute they had done for him.  The UNOS that covered his area was the Richmond one. I would love to visit someday. I would like to see the Memorial Garden.
Katonsdad

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2007, 09:01:20 PM »

I have been to the memorial 1 time since I moved here . It was on a Sunday and the main office was closed .
We walked around the Memorial and a security guard came out of the building and asked if he could help us .
We told him quickly that we were new and he told us that the site was closed but we could look inside the
main floor for a moment . There were several things to see but he was not that informed in all of them .

The Memorial is not really that big / I of course would have made it much bigger , as the people it is dedicated to
did something bigger than any memorial standing today . There should be names in lights , Giant columns and such .  :usaflag;
I can not say enough about the one person in my life that I wish i knew... My Donor.

Katonsdad

Diabetes 1976
Eye issues 1987
Kidney Failure 1997
CAPD 1997 , Stopped 1997 due to infections evey 28 days
Started In Center Hemo 1997
Received Kidney/Pancreas transplant 1999 at UCLA
Wife and I had son in 2001 , by donor for my part (Stopping the illness train)
Kidney failed 2011 , Back on Hemo . Looking to retransplant as the Kidney is still working

Soft kitty, warm kitty,
 little ball of fur,
happy kitty,sleepy kitty,
 purr purr purr ::
Sheldon and Penny on The Big Bng Theory
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »