I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 08:22:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Started ShortTerm Disability
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Started ShortTerm Disability  (Read 4042 times)
boxman55
Elite Member

« on: September 11, 2007, 04:41:05 PM »

I have been off work because of Gall Bladder surgery and started short term disability. I have also decided that I am not going back to work. I have a phone interview with SSDI on Monday the 17th to discuss social security disability. Wish me luck. I have worked the first full year of dialysis along with the last 35 years, but it is getting to difficult to keep doing it.  Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Roxy

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 04:55:01 PM »

Good luck Boxman! Take this time and rest!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 05:55:47 PM »

Boxman, you will have no problem with social security. You have a long work history and you have kidney failure.  I got approved in 3 months time. Have your information in front of you when you have your phone interview. Like: all your doctors names, phone#and addresses, medications, basic things that you can put together now and not be stressed at the last minute. I did all my online and only had a quick call to verify a couple of facts.  My first check comes tomorrow! I am grateful, but humbled, to beable to receive it.  Good luck. I hope all goes smoothly for you.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 06:46:12 PM »

I have been off work because of Gall Bladder surgery and started short term disability. I have also decided that I am not going back to work. I have a phone interview with SSDI on Monday the 17th to discuss social security disability. Wish me luck. I have worked the first full year of dialysis along with the last 35 years, but it is getting to difficult to keep doing it.  Boxman

Good Luck my friend, you deserve it, and earned it. Call me if you need anything. I'm thinking of coming down to do the flower thing soon. Want some company?
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 09:06:17 PM »

Woohoooo, Boxman, think of all the time you will have to fish  :yahoo;  I am sure things will go just fine for you, but Good Luck and please let us know how it goes  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Lulu

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 09:16:51 PM »

Hi Boxman - A couple of tips. When you go on disability - don't go back to work until you feel awesome for 2 years straight. This is direct advice from my attorney my 2nd time on disability. I went on SSDI in 2003 and really wanted to be able to work. I went back to work for a little over a year and ended up getting very sick. I had passed my nine month trial work period and my disability had expored. Even though they are supposed to re-start your disability right away if you are not able to continue working, they don't. They lose paperwork and records constantly. I finally got reinstated last month after an 18 month battle and hiring an attorney. If you have any problems after your phone hearing, i.e. not approved or waiting for approval for a long time. Go in person to Social Security, if that doesn't work hire a SSDI attorney. They only get paid if they get you approved and the max they can be paid is 25% of back SSDI owed to you up to $5300 . Good luck with your application. I'll be thinking of you.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 06:11:05 AM »

Thanks all I will keep you posted. Sluff anytime you are in the Milwaukee area look me up if you need my phone #'s PM me ....Boxman

st789

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 07:56:36 AM »

Good Luck.  Much deserve rest.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 09:17:45 AM »

well I just finished my interview with a very nice lady from SSDI it took about an hour and was mostly about gathering info about medical history and treatments along with tests you had and your Doctors and meds you take. She said because I am on dialysis they push those applications through quicker. We will see. All in all it was a very easy interview. The next step is for them to collect my medical records. Two items they need up front which you can mail to them is your birth cert. and medical release forms. So far so good as far as I am concerned...Boxman

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 09:36:52 AM »

I am glad you interview went well.  Mine went through so easy, no problem at all, so I hope your experience is as easy.  Crossing fingers for you :thumbup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 11:22:34 AM »

my husbands was really easy too- went like clockwork, hope yours is smooth too.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 05:00:50 AM »

Good luck Boxman.  Hope you are feeling better from GB Surgery.  I had mine out 5 years ago after a week, I was back in work but still sore.

Good luck with SSI, enjoy your time and take it easy.  You deserve it!!

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 09:01:18 AM »

Good luck! This news is very encouraging!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 12:55:34 AM »

Hows it going Box?

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 09:22:04 AM »

Hows it going Box?
Thanks for asking, I am doing OK I changed my run times from a 5pm start to a 1pm start. I like being able to get home at 5:30 instead of 9:30pm still filling out some forms but the process of getting on SSDI is going smooth. My brothers wife is from Pittsburgh so I have to listen to Steeler this Steeler that all the time she is driving me nuts. Go Packers......Boxman

Jannie

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 07:07:41 AM »

Re-read what Lulu said above. Very good advice.  I used to work for Social Security.  Kidney failure is one of the "automatically" disabling conditions. You also get Medicare with kidney failure. All they have to do is confirm it with your doctors. And you need a solid work history-at least five years of work in the last ten. The only people who run into trouble are those who work after getting checks. They get only a nine month trial work period, plus three grace months, then they get cut off. There are supposed to be rules to get Social Security checks started again if you have to stop work, but it's run by a giant bureaucracy and the Social Security Administration is grossly understaffed. Trust me, I saw it from the inside. Good luck with everything.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 07:13:59 AM »

Thanks Janne for your input...Boxman

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »