I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:20:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant Recipients: What side effects do you have from transplant meds?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant Recipients: What side effects do you have from transplant meds?  (Read 18355 times)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 11:50:11 AM »

Karol- So does she have a history of clots? Or they just found it necessary to take the precaution? Just curious, 'cause everyone's surgeons do things differently, I like to hear what all the different dr's do. :)

As for the tremors, I also take Prograf, and have no tremors... Roxy said it well. :)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2007, 04:49:57 PM »

Karol- So does she have a history of clots? Or they just found it necessary to take the precaution? Just curious, 'cause everyone's surgeons do things differently, I like to hear what all the different dr's do. :)

No history of clots, it's standard protocol with the transplant team and with Jenna's local nephrologist as well.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 04:59:18 PM »

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a steroid protocol vs non-steroid program?

If the hospital runs both programs, how is it determined what course of meds you are put on?   :-\

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2007, 05:17:41 PM »

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a steroid protocol vs non-steroid program?

If the hospital runs both programs, how is it determined what course of meds you are put on?   :-\

more here -- http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/501871_print - Long-Term Prospective Study of Steroid Withdrawal in Kidney and Heart Transplant Recipients
They enrolled patients for steroid withdrawal only if considered to be low risk.

Each transplant team has their own program so it's best to ask them for more information.

Roxy

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2007, 05:56:48 PM »

Wattle, for me it was just a matter of deciding which side effects I was willing to deal with and which side effects I wasn't (if they happened to appear). Everybody's different, and sometimes it just comes down to personal preference.
mrhecht

Where's my Starbucks?

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2007, 09:07:17 PM »

I love reading this thread because it reminds me that side effects are NOT a sure thing! Drug side effects freak me out because I've had some really wacky ones and they haven't even been immunosuppressants!

Thanks for the positive sharing.

peace............marian
CAPD 1989 to 1992
HD 1992 to 2007
2007 Back to PD;  CCPD...18 years & counting!

Real danger is the refusal to consider another option.
Lulu

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2007, 11:26:54 PM »

Can't remember who it was that said that they were having trouble sleeping from the prednisone. I haven't had a transplant yet, but I do have a lot of experience with steroids due to my Addison's disease. I currently take 2 mg prednisone and up to 9mg depending upon my health status. I can tell you if you take prednisone past 3 or 4pm in the afternoon it will more than likely throw off your sleep schedule. I take mine in the early am (5:30am) and go back to sleep. Please keep in mind I am taking it to replace hormones that my body does not make (Cortisol). But, generally speaking the earlier in the day you can take it the better off. Reason is, your body naturally produces a similar hormone that rises in the morning to help you wake up and if you take prednisone towards evening you are basically waking yourself up.
keefer51

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2007, 02:15:16 AM »

When i had my transplant in 92 i was on cyclosporin, prednisone, immuran. The immuran almost killed me. The prednisone made me eat more and i felt like my insides were coming out. The cyclosporin however gave me the oddest side effect. If you see my picture on this site i have allot of hair and it is straight. The cyclosporin made my hair curly! All of these side effects were gone after a year or two.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2007, 11:46:01 AM »

When i had my transplant in 92 i was on cyclosporin, prednisone, immuran. The immuran almost killed me.

How did Immuran almost kill you?

I took it for a few years for my Lupus.

rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2007, 12:38:53 PM »

Hands are shaky but didn't realize that was from Prograf.

I have acne on my chest and night sweats.  It's getting better though.

Taking Prograf 4mg X twice daily, Cellcept 1000 X twice daily, and Prednisone 14mg in the morning.

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
Jill D.

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2007, 06:12:54 PM »

Rimbo...things will definitely improve as your doses decrease. I'm down to Prograf 3mg 2x, Cellcept 500mg 2x, and Prednisone 5mg in the morning. I've been at these doses for 6 months and I feel fantastic.

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2007, 06:33:25 PM »

Is there a substitution available for Prograf? That's the drug that causes the tremors, right? Tremors would pretty much run my career as a graphic designer (it requires very fine movements of the computer mouse)!
The tremors for me come and go. Mostly in my legs and occassionaly in my right hand if I am holding something in like a pen or a fork. It doesn't effect my writing or eating. It seems to happens if I am holding things in one postion. It doesn't bother me when I use the mouse or type. Changing positions seems to help.
Hands are shaky but didn't realize that was from Prograf.

I have acne on my chest and night sweats. It's getting better though.

Taking Prograf 4mg X twice daily, Cellcept 1000 X twice daily, and Prednisone 14mg in the morning.
After you have the Prograf at a steady level or possibly once a day dosing, things improve greatly. It took about 4-5 months for me to get to that point. I take 5mg once a day.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2007, 07:32:40 PM »

I have a question to anyone who can answer regarding these "tremors" you talk about, WHAT ARE THEY??   The reason i ask is this,  everytime i seem to go into a store or especially a restaurant i get the chills so bad, the food falls off my fork cuz i am literally shivering so bad, are these the tremors you are all talking about?  if so, what can be done about them, i get so embarrased.  :-[

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2007, 07:38:28 PM »

Before my transplant I was freezing all the time. Air conditioning was terrible for me. I think that has something to do with kidney disease and anemia.
After the transplant I am comfortable. I am like everyone else. If they are hot I am too.
The tremors I have are a slight vibration of my hand or legs.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2007, 07:46:06 PM »

I still get cold easy, probably from my SLE, because I remember being cold easy before dialysis but after dx'd with SLE.

As for tremors, I used to get them with the prednisone, so I had them for years and years... they all of a sudden went away when i was still on prednisone, idunno why.. i'm thankful they aren't back now that I am on prograf.. (knock on wood!)

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2007, 11:27:43 PM »

I have a question to anyone who can answer regarding these "tremors" you talk about, WHAT ARE THEY??   The reason i ask is this,  everytime i seem to go into a store or especially a restaurant i get the chills so bad, the food falls off my fork cuz i am literally shivering so bad, are these the tremors you are all talking about?  if so, what can be done about them, i get so embarrased.  :-[

Goofy, I think that is another common side effect of being a dialysis patient. I am ALWAYS cold. My friends and family all joke about having to walk around in their swimwear when they visit because I have the heating turned up so high.   ::)

I am glad to read that this will improve when a transpalnt comes along.  8)

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2007, 06:58:37 AM »

I was cold all the time pre dialysis and during dialysis, I thought I was told that it was because of high phosphorus levels.  O well.

Besides Prograf, Cellcept, and Prednisone, I also take Protonix, Sodium Bicarb, Bacterum, Adalat (for BP), and Lexapro for anxiety.  I was taking Lexapro before when I found out my kidneys had failed to help deal with the anxiety of it all.  My doctor now told me to just stay on it because a lot of the medicines I'm taking now will cause anxiety.  So I do have a lot of sleepness nights.  Also still trying to get used to have to go to the bathroom all the time which is a change from the twice a day during dialysis.

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2007, 11:01:03 AM »

Goofy, I think that is another common side effect of being a dialysis patient. I am ALWAYS cold. My friends and family all joke about having to walk around in their swimwear when they visit because I have the heating turned up so high.   ::)

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;  Wattle, you literally made me choke (from laughing) when i read this, but i am glad to hear i am not alone   :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2007, 12:00:11 PM »

I get this way a lot (almost on a daily basis), but I haven't had a transplant. My chills are from my anemia. My shaking gets so bad, it affects my note taking in class. I get home and can't read my notes. I sit in class, in the middle of summer, among 18 year olds in their super short shorts and super short shirts, freezing my a** off in jeans, a long sleeve shirt and sweatshirt! My stupid doctor actually told me that "most women just get colder as they get older." Bull shit! I'm not THAT stupid! When I start shaking that bad at home, my poor husband gets this pathetic look on his face and just starts piling on the blankets!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2007, 12:03:03 PM »

O h yeah, and it's been in the mid to high 70's here for the last few days and I've had the heat on, set to 78 degrees, while my husband's at work!  Brrrr...

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2007, 01:18:09 PM »

I remember standing on the sidewalk in Pittsburgh in the sunlight to warm up. It was 89 degrees and I was so cold. I would have the heat on during the summer in the car.
waitlisted

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2007, 07:30:18 PM »

I am feeling cold as well. As younger I was the one feeling hot all the time, never cold feet or hands, now I am feeling cold and have my skin on goose bumps all the time at work. At home it is better, but here I have 85 degrees ;).

I hope I get back to "normal" after transplant.

Besides Prograf, Cellcept, and Prednisone, I also take Protonix, Sodium Bicarb, Bacterum, Adalat (for BP), and Lexapro for anxiety. 

Why do you still need Sodium Bicarb? I have been told all the time that I should not need it anymore after transplant.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2007, 08:02:09 PM »

Sometimes after a transplant things get unbalanced. I was put on and taken off so many things. It is so different than pre-transplant. I was told to eat lots of red meat at first to get my iron up. Because of some of the meds my potassium went too high. Now it is on the low side. My phophorus is too low. Magnesium was low. Still having parathyroid problems. I was even told to increase my salt intake for awhile because my sodium was too low.  I still have a hard time eating what I should. After being on a renal diet, I think twice about what I eat and often don't eat what I need.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2007, 04:55:46 PM »

I am on CellCept and Prograf and the only side effect that I have is  slight tremors in my hands. Even when my dosage is lowered, I still have the tremors, but they get worse when I am sick. They don't bother me to much. I beleive my transplant was the best medical procedure I have had done to me.
Chris

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2007, 11:10:42 PM »

From the Prograf website: Tremor occurred more often in Prograf-treated kidney transplant (54%) and heart transplant patients (15%) compared to cyclosporine-treated patients.

For Jenna it is a barely noticeable quiver when she extends her left arm - she doesn't seem to notice except when the neph asks to hold her hands out to check for it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »