I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 09:34:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Feeling suicidal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feeling suicidal  (Read 5508 times)
Jannie

« on: September 10, 2007, 02:25:52 PM »

I just started dialysis and I really hate it. i just had two days "off., my weekend holiday from dialysis. In the nextfive days, I'll be having dialysis three times. Why should I like it? It keeps me alive, but I feel like crap. I feel weak, get dizzy
or vomit during treatment. I see other patients at the dialysis unit, they certainly don't look happy. I think older people die of kidney disease because they mentally give up because dialysis is such a primitive, uncomfortable treatment. So they "commit suicide" by refusing treatment. Well, that's just how I feel about it. I don't know how long I can stand this torture. Tomorrow I have one ray of hope-I have an appointment with the Director for Kidney Transplants at my local hospital.

EDITED: Moved to proper section - Sluff/ Admin

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 04:05:17 PM by Sluff » Logged
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 02:44:50 PM »

Have you tried other forms of dialysis than the one your doing? You may feel better.

I don't consider people who choose to quit or not even do dialysis as committing suicide... it's not... it's refusing life support... letting nature take it's course with no medical intervention.

Keep your head up.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 02:52:48 PM »

Tomorrow I have one ray of hope-I have an appointment with the Director for Kidney Transplants at my local hospital.

See...you are already on the road to being done with dialysis.  Yes dialysis sucks and it will for a while.  Work hard toward getting that transplant because when you do get it all of the badness that goes with dialysis will be over, done, finished, in the past, ancient history, pau hana, you get what I mean.  Keep one thought in your mind and that is that dialysis is temporary.

Don't let on to any of the transplant team that you are feeling down.  Be upbeat and positive with them.  While you are on dialysis be compliant, follow the diet and fluid restrictions and look toward your future when you will have your whole life back.

Stay positive and work toward that transplant.  There will come a time that you'll look back on these days and be totally amazed at just how good life can get again.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 02:56:33 PM »

Prayers and good thought your way. Hang in there as best you can.   :grouphug; :grouphug;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 03:53:19 PM »

I just started dialysis and I really hate it. i just had two days "off., my weekend holiday from dialysis. In the nextfive days, I'll be having dialysis three times. Why should I like it? It keeps me alive, but I feel like crap. I feel weak, get dizzy
or vomit during treatment. I see other patients at the dialysis unit, they certainly don't look happy. I think older people die of kidney disease because they mentally give up because dialysis is such a primitive, uncomfortable treatment. So they "commit suicide" by refusing treatment. Well, that's just how I feel about it. I don't know how long I can stand this torture. Tomorrow I have one ray of hope-I have an appointment with the Director for Kidney Transplants at my local hospital.

Jannie, I hope you hang in there - let the social worker know how you are feeling about being uncomfortable. Ask the charge nurse to be sure you're not having too much fluid taken off. Does your clinic offer benadryl to relax you? Ask for help until someone listens. We care what happens to you.  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 04:58:50 PM »

Tomorrow I have one ray of hope-I have an appointment with the Director for Kidney Transplants at my local hospital.
Don't let on to any of the transplant team that you are feeling down.  Be upbeat and positive with them.  While you are on dialysis be compliant, follow the diet and fluid restrictions and look toward your future when you will have your whole life back.

Stay positive and work toward that transplant.  There will come a time that you'll look back on these days and be totally amazed at just how good life can get again.

Very great advice... I forgot about that.. if you let them know these thoughts your having... they usually won't put you on the list.

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 06:04:01 PM »

Hang in there. I don't know what you are going through, but you have my moral support.  :cuddle;
Jannie

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 06:15:08 PM »

Well, I hope nobody puts my name on a suicide watch. I will tell the transplant nurse I'm feeling anxious and depressed. One nurse suggested Clonopin for anxiety. Amd my own neph nurse (who can give out scripts) will be there tomorrow, I'll ask her for something. I have some benadryl in the house. Maybe I'll pop one for sleep and it will still be working when the alarm goes off at four. I desperately want to get on the active kidney transplant list. I'll post again after I speak with everyone tomorrow. Cross your fingers for me!
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 06:28:43 PM »

Go get 'em Girlfriend  :2thumbsup;  Prayers are going out to you  :clap;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Jannie

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 06:47:27 PM »

Thanks Goofynina. You are one nice lady!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 08:03:36 PM »

Good Luck Jannie we be rootin for ya.
Roxy

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 08:15:19 PM »

Like livecam suggested, try not to tell anyone on the transplant team about the depressed feeling, it could hold you back. If you can tell your neph nurse without the transplant team knowing, then that's great. Or just limit the details as much as possible. Since I'm bi-polar they made me wait a few extra months and have to see a psychologist regularly before they would give me the ok. 
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 08:37:26 PM »

Benedryl pill form and IV form are 2 way different things... IV form will help relax you and make you a little sleepy... right away... :)

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 11:58:33 PM »

Jannie, another thing the docs and nurses don't bother to tell you is that the first month on is usually the roughest. If you just started, it's absolutely horrid at the beginning.  I was so sick and miserable, I wondered the same thing you did - why the heck am I putting myself thru this?  It did get better - not any more fun, of course, but the puking and shaking does ease up a bit.  By the third month, I was having days where it was mostly just tiring and boring, where it didn't make me anything but fatigued.

You also might want to look into forms of dialysis you can do at home.  Most of us on home hemo feel a lot better than we did on in-center.

Hang in there!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

babi68

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 03:14:13 AM »

Jannie  :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; ; :grouphug; Dialysis is such a roller coaster of emotions. I am going through some tough times right now and feel like giving up. I sometimes think why bother...  but I think of my kids, and I am not ready to leave them yet. Things will get easier, some days better than others. Good luck with the transplant list. I know it will happen for you. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Liz :ausflag; :waving; :cuddle;
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 05:32:08 AM »

Jannie

Never done Haemo so don't know how bad it feels. But as Livecam says keep positive and think about that transplant. Have you been offered PD by any chance?

Ken
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 10:17:20 AM »

You stole my thunder jbeany :)

Jannie, you've just started and it is a big shock to you and your system, plus the team will be fiddling with your setup, dry weight, maybe even baths and meds to get you on the right track and when you are things should settle down without vomiting or whatever. Some people have rough times, others don't.. I can tell you from my own experience that I had on and off crashes and cramps and whatnot for oh say 6-8 months but gradually less and less as things stablised.. I can't remember the last cramp I had (hooray!) .. I am confident things will settle for you and you will feel better when more stable and in a "routine" of dialysis and life.

I agree with the others - don't tell the transplant team or your nuses how down and depressed you feel. Well mo that's wrong.. I mean it's normal to feel down specially with the rough start you are having, but depending on how you phrase it they may note it more seriously and it may cause issues down the track. Just try and remain positive and think of the goal that you have chosen to persue - a transpant!!

hang in there!!!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
angellady07

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 12:59:01 PM »

Jannie, my prayers are with you. Take care and remember that we care about you.
cabarle

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 02:37:41 PM »

Janie,

Been there, felt that way, wrote the book, bought the t-shirt. I wanted to end it all too. I went through therapy at my VA hospital and it helped... There are days when I'm feeling bad, and I honestly don't think my wife understands (although she says she does) It is depressing. It sucking sucks! Since healthy people can only sympathize with you - I'm going to tell you straight:

1) GET HELP - Tell a nurse, tell a doctor, tell a friend: Whoever.
2) Meds help (for me at least)
3) Time - You're just starting and it's NORMAL to feel crappy about life.

Welcome to dialysis. After a while, you'll figure out which procedure works best for you. You'll develop coping skills which will help. Until then, stay on the transplant list. The best advocate for this is YOU. This means you have to educate yourself, ask questions and when you have to, question authority. There's plenty of stories on this board about patients questioning actions of their centers and staff thereby saving themselves trouble down the road. Also, sleep when you can, you'll need your strength to fight the ignorance of the uninformed later - and that includes the dialysis staff.

If you were a veteran, I would follow it up with "That's an Order"

Doug Cabarle

Jannie

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 03:49:23 PM »

Well, I did go to dialysis today. I spoke with the Social Worker about my anxiety about the needles. I then spoke with the head nurse and got some new prescriptions, for anesthetic cream for my fistula, Xanax for anxiety and Renagel to replace the hated Fosrenol pukey-tasting chewables. Also had a long talk with the Transplant coordinator.She agreed to put me on three lists-the local one, the national list in case that magic six-way match appears, and one for people over 50.well, not for people, rather from people over 50 who wished to donate organs. She was quite excited about this list, hopefully it will help give me some breathing room. I'm trying hard to accept dialysis. I wish it made me feel better. The nurse encouraged me to add an extra 15 minutes to my treatment, the extra blood filtering may make a difference. I'll try anything, so I agreed. I'll start with three and a quester hours Thursday. In the meantime, Wednesday is my "day off". Hooray
LightLizard

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 03:55:19 PM »

its not an easy road, that's for sure!
carbole's advice is bang on. :2thumbsup;
it'll get better. the period of adjustment is do-able, but it does take effort.
live for the good days. to hell with the rest.
having your life decimated by kidney failure does not mean that its over, just that its become more complicated, in some ways, and simpler, in others.
don't live to dialyise, dialyse to live!

and remember, no matter how you feel, you are NOT alone! there's lots of us with the same condition.
as my delivery man put it, 'you now belong to a very large, exclusive club.'
 :waving;

love

~LL~
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 04:05:30 PM by LightLizard » Logged
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 09:09:09 PM »

I have done hemodialysis for eight and a half years and I am still at it.  You come to accept it. Everything that goes with dialysis is a hard road to go down, but you come to accept that this is the way life is right now.  Things will get better. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
st789

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 08:15:27 AM »

What else can we do beside when we are on dialysis.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »