I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:58:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Why I Love My Dialysis Centre.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why I Love My Dialysis Centre.  (Read 22288 times)
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« on: September 08, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »

I get up for work at 530 am and finish at 345 pm every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  After work on those days, I look forward to going to my dialysis unit.  Not only do I get the opportunity to relax on a big comfortable chair which can be raised or lowered to my fancy at the touch of a button and watch a personal tv/dvd player but I can chat and have a laugh with all the staff there and to me, they are not just staff but my friends.

They deal day in and day out with moaning patients wanting this that and the next thing, not realising they have a job to do as well as tending to their needs.

I know them all by name and know all about their families and their outside interests.  Despite the fact they may have had a hectic day, been short staffed or have staff spread out in chronic units, there is always a welcoming smile when I come in.  And if I have had a bad day at work and feel grumpy, seeing that smiling face when I come in makes me think "Why I am I being grumpy?" and I can't help but smile back when I see that face.

Someone orders my dinner for me before I go in and I appreciate them for doing that for me.  Later on in the evening I even get offered a cup of tea while on dialysis and if it is quiet at that time of day, there is time to stop for a chat and just talk about day to day stuff.

Every member of the team has played a role in helping me to help myself with regards to learning about the machines and my treatment.  I had a needle phobia when I started 14 months ago and have been gently coaxed out of it to the point where about 8 months ago, I started self - cannulating.  That was no mean feat as the first time the needles were taken out, I nearly passed out!

The people in my unit take care of me and they look after me.  They are dedicated professionals and yet it doesn't seem that way as they are also friendly and always interested to hear what is going on with me in my life.

I just want to say to people on this site who are not happy with their treatment or their unit then try somewhere else as there are decent places and people who care.  It is easier to moan and complain about something than get off your butt and do something about it.

As for my unit, I will continue to go there and would like to say a big thankyou to them for being great. If they use this site, they know who they are.  :thx;

SCOTLAND NO.1
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 03:12:35 PM »

I'm glad you like your dialysis center and I'm glad they are good to you. In a world that seem negative at times it is good to hear positive comments and too bad they can't all be that accommodating.  :thumbup; Good to see you posting Mattyboy.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 03:49:44 PM »

Dialysis is challenging, so when you've got a good staff at a clinic that can make life a little easier, I think it makes a big difference! Did you say you ORDER DINNER??? Wow, that's really great, no food in Jenna's unit, bring your own snack!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 03:53:30 PM »

Yep, we get a 3 course evening meal.  The choice is pretty limited but it is nice to get something to eat after being at work.  And they know that I love the ice cream there so they always order two pots for me.  They're only little but I look forward to my ice cream most of all!

I am very lucky.

SCOTLAND NO.1
Redbomb

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 03:56:57 PM »

Wow .. Dinner (and a movie?) :) -- I get off work at 3:30 to make it on time, and I barely have time to stop and grab a small bottle of water to take with me.

I was surprised last night at my Center (it was my first Friday night).  They came around and gave us some Popcorn and then they played a movie (Firehouse Dog).  It was a pretty good move too! -- Too bad they don't do that on Wednesday night, when there is nothing on TV to watch!  :)
Jill D.

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 06:44:07 PM »

Very nice post, MattyBoy. I had a very nice dialysis unit too...never got served dinner though, just ice! There were some very demanding patients who treated the nurses and staff like "hired help" that wanted to be catered to every whim. I just figured they were sick and lonely people, and the staff was very kind (except one crotchety tech...but I learned that was her "normal" disposition - she would also perk up when we talked about HER problems which kinda irritated me. The thing is, she had diabetes and did not take care of herself, and sometimes I would think "be thankful for what you have...there may be a chance that some day YOU may have to sit in this chair!")

Since my transplant last Dec, I have stopped by a couple of times to say "hi" and they are so excited to see me, but understand that it is not anywhere that I care to "hang out"! I saw one of the techs at the grocery store a couple of days ago and we had a chance to chat....it wouldn't be an easy job, working in a dialysis unit.

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 09:05:48 PM »

That's the kind of center where a person can thrive on hemodialysis!
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 12:09:14 AM »

I notice that if you treat the workers with respect then you USUALLY get it in return.  Although i was very unhappy on hemo, i have to admit, i did love the staff (well, most of them) :P   It's great to hear that you are happy with your center MattyBoy, it sounds like you are not only a great patient to them but a friend as well.  Keep on keeping on my friend  :clap;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 08:50:51 PM »

I feel very much the same about my unit. The staff are wonderful and I think once you get to know eachother better, after time, it is much more like a family than a working thing. I've been in my unit for over a year now.. I've seen some of our nurses married, some pregnant.. heck one has just come back from i think her 3rd kid... and yes, you can share outside interests to an extent and know them as PEOPLE not just "that darn person that sticks me with them needles and makes the machine stop beeping!".... The other thing is seeing other patients - specially "regulars" - it is good and you DO notice when someone isn't there and ask and worry.

I know for certain that if/WHEN (think positive!) I get a transplant or something and don't need Hemo for some time I will still visit these guys... and I have already promised to take them all for lunch if/when that happens :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
cabarle

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 03:05:16 PM »

I just wanted to chime in about my new center in Munroe Falls, OH.

So far, the staff and facility are extremely nice. There's an ice cube machine for the patients who want it. I can plug my laptop/dvd player into an available outlet and watch my Doctor Who. In my old unit in Streetsboro, OH they wouldn't let me plug the laptop in. They give me pillows and the chairs are comfortable.  There are numerous books and magazines in the lobby as well. The staff & patients are quiet, the tv's have headphones, and they always ask if I'm doing okay. I haven't found anything yet that I would be concerned with. In today's treatment, the tech told me in her 20 years of working at dialysis centers, this is the best one she's been with. She drives over an hour each way to get there. I think I'm going to like it here. Now, only if I could get the coveted first shift.....
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 09:27:12 AM »

oh yeah mine lets me plug in my laptop too.. my only problem is some positions have horrid access to power.. but that's another issue :) Heck sometimes the staff watch stuff on my laptop (one of the nurses is a MASSIVE star wars nerd, so we often have D&M discussions on the merits of Jar Jar Binks *rolls eyes*).. ha ha the other day I came in and someone said "You'll know which machine is yours..." so I look around and sitting on the machine is a massive Jar Jar Binks bust with a big sign "Moi Moi! I love you!" I swear I cracked up laughing at this point. Another nurse I chat to about footy and recorded a game for him on DVD that he wanted and so on. It REALLY works well for everyone I think when you're active (as a patient) and don't just sit like a blob of misery in the corner (having said that I realise that I am doing pretty well on dialysis.. stable with no major problems.. unlike some poor people in our unit who seem to stumble from one crisis to the next :( ).... but you know when I walk in I feel like they are actually happy to see me as me the person rather than the patient.... Plus they send me the cute medical students to learn their stuff with WOO HOO! :) Even the PSA is a gem.. she remembers what everyone likes to drink or their preferences with food or biscuits or whatever and makes sure we're all looked after (note to self: must take her chocolates next week!).

Yeah, I love my unit! I HATE dialysis, but if you have to do it.... there are sure worse places and people to do it with!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
bdpoe

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 12:38:56 PM »

Mattyboy you live in Scotland and your experience sounds very good.
They get you Dinner too? Wow.
I am glad you all love your clinics and wish you well.

I Live in Florida here in the USA. Florida sucks if you are poor
disabled or simply one of the several thousands of working poor
in this state. It's one the four worst states in social spending.

So I have had terrible experiences since I came down with ESRD at 45.
I fear and loath going to dialysis.
These people aren't my friends no matter how much I wish they were.
I am their Job.

I am thankful to be alive and for the consideration some give me
but in general it is a horrifying experience that has left me depressed,
fatigued, isolated, in despair - a shell of my former self.

Oh by the way, their isnt much of a dole in Florida and what you pay for a flat
won't allow for things like food.

I can't say that I love any health facility in Florida I've been to.
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 05:01:20 PM »

Why I Love My Dialysis Center:

1. The staff does good work and is easy to get along with.
2. The clinic is brand new and well cleaned.
3. If I ever need supplies they'll put together a Ziploc bag full of stuff (bandages, gauze, etc.)
4. The social worker, nutritionist and doctors are all available when I need them.
5. It's only 5 miles from work.
6. 95% of the time they will work with me on schedule changes.

Why I Hate My Dialysis Center:

1. The patients are the most god-awful people I've ever experienced in a clinic setting.
2. No one will turn down their TV and actually turn it up to spite me.
3. Hygiene is foreign to most patients.
4. Hitting the toilet proper seems to baffle most patients at my clinic as well.
5. The clinic manager is an idiot. (Fortunately she's not a big fan of hooking up patients.)
6. One word: frostbite.

Thank you and good night.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 07:42:43 PM »

Okay my lists:

I Like my center because
1. My doctor is there.
2. I see other doctors at least once a week, not once a month and they actually read the chart and talk to me!
3. It is clean.
4. I have friend who is a patient there. We can tag team staff.  :bandance;

I hate the center because:
1. It's Dialysis
2. Needles
3. Late times getting on and off
4. It's dialysis three days a week.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
bdpoe

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 01:16:38 PM »

Why I Love My Dialysis Center:

Why I Hate My Dialysis Center:

1. The patients are the most god-awful people I've ever experienced in a clinic setting.
2. No one will turn down their TV and actually turn it up to spite me.
3. Hygiene is foreign to most patients.
4. Hitting the toilet proper seems to baffle most patients at my clinic as well.
5. The clinic manager is an idiot. (Fortunately she's not a big fan of hooking up patients.)
6. One word: frostbite. Thank you and good night.

What is it with these slobs who trash the bathrooms. Do they do that in their own homes?
Really a lot of patients in the clinics are inconsiderate.
Please don't seat me next to the old lady who hasn't yet bathed this month but wears a
3 day supply of PERFUME!!!!
Is there a Clinic Manger who isn't an idiot or suffers from a leadership deficiency?
Just thinking about dialysis gives me the chills.
BRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......
....bdpoe
jollor

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 01:32:58 PM »

I want to go to a dialysis center like Mattyboy100's. That sounds amazing especially the dinner part. I like mine in that most of the staff is pretty awesome. The chairs suck though they are extremely uncomfortable and my feet hang off the edge. It's always too cold but I think everybody has that problem. I do like the individual tvs but I almost never read anymore since they put them in.
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 05:27:18 PM »

That's awesome you like your center and staff so much.  It makes a HUGE difference doing something so dreaded. 

Before he started home hemo, Rob loved his center.  THe nurses & techs are really great there, they loved having him there and he got along great with them.  We are actually neighbors with one of his old techs and our sons play together.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 10:39:15 PM »

i  like  my  unit  because  it's  a  10 minute  drive  from  home

i  dislike  my  unit  as  in  my  opinion  it's  run  by  the  nurses  for  the  nurses,  patients  are  secondary :banghead;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
LadyStardust89

Best darnest bowie fan dialysis patient ever...

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 01:50:52 PM »

I love my dialysis unit.. It's part of the hospital I go to in boston which is part the pediatric teaching hospital of Harvard University. It's a outpatient/inpatient dialysis .. which means the same nurses will do your dialysis in the actual unit or on the floor (if you are too sick to come down). I get along with the most of the people at my unit.. nurses,other patients..
 They just treat us very well..

Bowie fan,llama fanatic... dialysis patient. Wicked.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 03:36:01 PM »

Please Lord when I go on a rampage at the dialysis center, remind me why I like them!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
rsood2004

Me and my baby Kyle

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 04:04:38 PM »

I have to say yours sounds really nice! I do love mine also even without dinner. We do get free ice  :sarcasm;. Seriously though I have been blessed to have my unit in Oregon Ohio (not sure if we can say name or not) they know who they are if reading this. The staff are amazing and I too know them all on a personal level not just as a patient but as a friend. I think I know more about them then they do me if that's possible. We now have shared tv's but at the time I go (4pm-730pm M-W-F) I do get my own tv and get to hold the remote! I do feel like they care for me and make my time there go by faster with thier laughter and compassion. There is always a seat next to my chair and they will take turns stopping by sitting down and chatting. Could by 5min to 1hr (social worker can talk!)(you know I love you Janice) :bow;. :cuddle;. I can't imagine what those patients would do without her! She is the most wonderful person I have met there, she always takes time to check on all patients and no matter how busy she is (I've seen her there to 7 pm) if you ask her to come over or have her paged she always makes time for you, and will talk to you about anything even unrelated to dialysis (we have covered some topics in 22 months let me tell you) Anyway I could go on and on about her and the staff there! I just want everyone who hates thier unit to seek another the good one's are out there and you can't do this journey without the support of a good one!

Laurie
“I am not afraid…I was born to do this.”
“There is nothing wrong with being afraid---but there is nothing more wrong than allowing that to be your master.”
“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.”-Joan of Arc
napala turki

Have to plan for living

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 09:35:06 PM »

I love my dailysis center:
1. New hospital, new equipments.
2. Nice young nurse, freindly.
3. All paid for, breakfast (morning session), lunch (afternoon session), tea (evening session)
4. All prepared, private pillow, mattress, ready on the daiylsis seater.
5. CCTV monitoring the patient.
6. Cleanliness.
7. Visitors are welcome.

I hate my dailysisi center:
1. Some nurses came late to work.
2. Awfull patient, griddy, no respect.
3. Limited TV channel..
Kitsune

Sometimes the dragon wins.

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 10:27:02 AM »

We don't even get tissues or crushed ice at ours. We have to cry and scream to get Phenergan. Basically our center is like a slave trade. Most of these idiot techs even gripe like it's my fault that I urinate still and have to get off the machine for like 5 stinking minutes to pee. The comments range from "Are you really going in there to pee, because dialysis patients don't pee!" to "Can't you wait?", to which I answer, "Sure, anything you say, but I must warn you, you will probably be cleaning piss off this seat, and sending me home as I have no clean clothes here in about half an hour if I do. Now, you would you like to unhook me or not?"  No one has refused yet.

"Run your mouth when I'm not around
It's easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
Can you hear the violins playing your song?
Those same friends tell me your every word"- Pantera "Walk" (1991)
Gramapat

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 11:13:35 PM »

Why I like my dialysis center:

1 - It's close to home - less than a 10 minute drive.
2 - 99% of the techs and nurses are great. We talk and joke and get to know each other.
3 - We have a great ice and water machine. It's new - they got it about a week after the old ice only machine started acting up.
4 - I get hooked up on time about 9 out of 10 times.
5 - I am flexible so whenever they have a chair available earlier than my time (6:45 p.m.) they call and ask me if I want to come in early.
6 - I am sick frequently due to abdominal problems and have to cancel more than anyone else. They work with me to make up my times if possible and are always so concerned when I'm sick.
7 - They listen to me and let me decide how much fluid to take off even if they think more should come off.  I can tell by looking at my hands how much should come off.  :)
8 - If I have to use the bathroom they always take me off right away and are really nice about it.

What I don't like about my dialysis center:

1 - The bathroom in the center is unusually dirty by the time I get there - so if I have to use the bathroom I will go out to the waiting room one because it is always clean!
2 -This center is in a bad part of town.
3 - One patient who gets put on 15 minutes before me is an arrogant b******.  He stops and gets fast food every night even though we aren't supposed to eat.  He used to try to hide it but not anymore.  Eats with his mouth open (YUCK) and draws attention to this by talking (loudly) on his cell phone while eating.  It's obvious the staff gets disgusted with him but they still treat him good. (I wouldn't!)

For the most part, I really like my center.  I just hate dialysis!

MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 12:43:49 PM »

What I like about my dialysis center - I don't have to go.

But, really my center was 7 minutes from work and the nurses and techs (for the most part) were great. I've heard they no longer have a third shift because everyone on the late shift received transplants!

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »