I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 01:03:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Memory ?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Memory ?  (Read 8420 times)
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2007, 01:13:06 PM »

I think I am Dory, too.  I either repeat things or forget to say it in the first place.  It is very encouraging to read that so many others have a similar problem.    I do think I can speak whale though!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2007, 08:56:17 PM »

Yes, I have found it affects my memory... I used to have the BEST memory... people would say "Oh my god I can't believe you remembered that thing from 5 years ago!" or whatever... I could remember crazy sets of numbers like credit card numbers or phone numbers or whatever... I still can pretty well, but things have definitely gotten worse since I've had to start dialysis.. Sometimes I forget to do things I'm supposed to do or things like that and it bugs me because I used to just be able to rely on my memory with no question.... now... I'm at about 70% I reckon.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2007, 05:52:29 AM »

I used to remember anything and everything graphic design related because I love it so much. Now tho, I find myself forgetting a lot of what I've been learning in my design classes. It sucks!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Jill D.

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2007, 08:57:40 PM »

I was havng a conversation with my husband and some high school friends about a camping weekend we all took when I was about 18. I told them I wasn't there, and they all reassured me that I certainly was. Hmmmm....wait...I didn't have kidney disease back then...why on earth could I have forgotten an ENTIRE WEEKEND?!?!  :beer1; :beer1; :beer1; :beer1; ;)

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2007, 12:17:47 AM »

I was havng a conversation with my husband and some high school friends about a camping weekend we all took when I was about 18. I told them I wasn't there, and they all reassured me that I certainly was. Hmmmm....wait...I didn't have kidney disease back then...why on earth could I have forgotten an ENTIRE WEEKEND?!?!  :beer1; :beer1; :beer1; :beer1; ;)

:rofl;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2007, 09:42:31 AM »

I've been trying to remember all day whether our trash is picked up today or tomorrow! I should remember this! They've been coming the exact same day every week in the 2 1/2 years we've lived here! It's killing me.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2007, 01:14:34 PM »

I misplaced my daughter's lunch money and envelope for picture day. My husband had to run around like crazy this morning, go to the mac machine and run to school to pay for pictures in time. I found it later...........in my underwear drawer. Why in the world would I put it there?  ::)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2007, 01:30:44 PM »

I found it later...........in my underwear drawer. Why in the world would I put it there?  ::)

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2007, 03:04:03 PM »

:lol;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
highlite36

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2007, 03:25:06 PM »

What I did do once was forget my phone number.....  That STUNK!!!!  I was at the library when I met this really good looking young man who asked for my number...and I forgot it!!!!  Since I got sick, I've started carrying a "memory pad" in my purse......  My phone number is now in there so I never forget numbers that I need to remember.....  :-)  It's great to have a book by my side at all times.....  :-)

ESRD February 2002
Transplant from living non-related donor November 7, 2002
Lost transplant April 2005
Diagnosed with Heart Failure February 2006
Currently on Peritoneal Dialysis, awaiting to be well enough to FINALLY get placed
on the Transplant List.  :-)  I can't wait!!!!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 03:29:01 PM »

Romona, your underwear drawer!!!?????  :rofl;   What else is in your drawers?????   It is nice to know I am in good company :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
LightLizard

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2007, 03:49:35 PM »

i can't remember if i've ever had memory problems or not.

help!

i kill me....

heehee

who's got the rolling papers? >:D

seriously though, (yeah, right) i don't need to or want to remember most things,
but my wife reminds me, without fail.
 ::)
BigSteve

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2007, 03:50:34 PM »

At my age(69) I don't know if disremembering things is because
of age or kidney failure, but it's happening. What really bugs me
is that I was always able to remember specific conversations with people
so that I wouldn't bring up the same subject with the same
listeners. Now, I start to talk with friends and halfway through
I realize I've told them the same thing before, and I feel like
a complete idiot.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
LightLizard

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2007, 04:03:27 PM »

studies show that memory loss is a normal effect of aging, but we dialysis junkies have an extra burden, when it comes to memory loss, it seems.
recent research has found that the memory can be supported with the playing of certain games, such as crossword puzzles and similar activities.
music also has the ability to bring our memories into clarity.
as a musician, when i was playing at a seniors' center in a ward for patients with severe alzheimers and senility, i was totally blown away as an elderly patron rose from her wheelchair, out of her trance, and began to dance to one of the old hits we were playing, as if it was 1926 again, in her mind. it was beautiful, and slightly sad, too. we finished our set and she sat down, returning to her vacant stare in her wheelchair.

love

~LL~
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2007, 04:17:09 PM »

I still have about 25% function but I've always had memory problems. For all of my adult life, I've faked it when people ask me if I remember doing things. I've forgotten entire vacations. It got to the point where I figure it isn't worth going on trips because I won't remember it later. A friend said something about the time he and his father came to visit me -- they did!? My dad was talking to me last night about how hard it was to air the smoke out of my first car and that it took weeks of effort. I remember the car -- I got it after college. I hate the smell of smoke, so you'd think this would've left an impression. It's a complete blank. I guess it means I don't hold grudges anyway! You can make me mad and I probably won't remember it later.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2007, 05:15:50 PM »

The kids at school have no excuse when theys it there and look at me like I am speaking Swahili to them during a lesson.  I on the other hand, have a good excuse when I forget where I put the book I was just reading out loud of.  The kids think I am completely nuts!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2007, 07:58:43 PM »

I misplaced my daughter's lunch money and envelope for picture day. My husband had to run around like crazy this morning, go to the mac machine and run to school to pay for pictures in time. I found it later...........in my underwear drawer. Why in the world would I put it there? ::)

Just an update. My underwear was not in her bookbag, thank goodness! :2thumbsup;
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2007, 08:09:25 PM »

I misplaced my daughter's lunch money and envelope for picture day. My husband had to run around like crazy this morning, go to the mac machine and run to school to pay for pictures in time. I found it later...........in my underwear drawer. Why in the world would I put it there? ::)

Just an update. My underwear was not in her bookbag, thank goodness! :2thumbsup;

Thank goodness huh?  lol...  :rofl;  How could she explain that in Biology?  :o

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2007, 08:11:05 PM »

She's seven and probably would have used them for Show and Tell.  :rofl;
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »