I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:48:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  More Protein
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: More Protein  (Read 8794 times)
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« on: September 03, 2007, 09:54:24 AM »

::) HI Friends,
I have a ?. The dietician at dialysis said Dustin needs to eat more protein. I understand that alot of it is lost during dialysis. What kinds of food do you all eat???????? They say more protein like "Boost" drinks, protein bars then I see where milk, and all that is a protein to. Geesh, its kinda like eat this then I worry about his phosphorous being too high which he is already on a binder for that.
I made him deviled eggs, bought yogurt etc. The dietician said he is alil malnourished. He is 160lbs and 6'0. He does not have the best appetite.
Thanks for the info I know I will get .
Lori mom to Dustin 22 FSGS/now on dialysis
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 04:44:43 PM »

Hi Lori,  My dietician tells me to eat fish (no way) chicken (preferrably breast) and lean meats, egg whites,   :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 06:57:17 PM »

The protein drinks have helped me.  Boost, High protein slimfast, Ensure
& protein bars have added vitamins and nutrients.
Sometimes I boil eggs and eat the whites to keep protein up.
Chicken, fish, meat, turkey.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 07:04:43 PM »

i usually eat 6 or so whole eggs a week. a lot of people here don't but then i don't have a cholesterol problem. i eat, shrimp, chicken, pork, beef, tuna, around 10 ounces of protein a day. and more vegetables than most. each one of us is different. i don't eat much if any dairy because of parathyroid problems. your doctor may have to adjust the binders to get the phos within limits, but then that's what they are for.  it will take time but it can be done.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 08:57:49 PM »

The dairy products have too much phos and usually too much potassium at the same time - you are better off with actual meat.  Most of us have problems eating enough protein - they want us to eat far more than most people can stand.  You can buy protein powder that you can mix into other foods as well, if he can find some he doesn't mind the taste of.  (It needs to be mixed into something with a strong taste, or it's pretty awful!)  Hopefully, Dustin is young enough that he doesn't have cholesterol problems, so load him up on eggs and red meat!  Also, if you make baked goods for him, add extra eggs.

Have you looked into getting him on something that would increase his appetite?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 09:36:48 PM »

Protein is a very important part of our diet.  In the "old" days we were told to limit our protein intake to about 60 grams a day. Today, with more scientific research, it is now recommended that we consume about 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of weight, per day. 1kg=2.2lbs.

Here is the protein guideline from the National Kidney Foundation (NKF):
http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kdoqi/guidelines_updates/nut_a15.html

Here is an interesting article from the American Association of Kidney Patients (AAKP):
http://198.104.149.102/aakp-library/balancing-protein-in-the-renal-diet/

To make sure the protein is used to sustain and build muscle, calorie intake is also important. NKF's guidelines recommend 35 calories per kilogram of weight, per day.
http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kdoqi/guidelines_updates/nut_a17.html

The key is to consume protein and calories without going over one's daily limit of Phosphorus and Potassium.

It's not easy, but it is very doable.  It takes a little time before it becomes second nature.  There's loads of information you'll find from past posts, here at IHD.  And always remind your son to take the phosphorus binders whenever he eats.  That's very important.

This is a good search engine for information on food values:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 09:46:05 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Roxy

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 09:39:38 PM »

Zach you must be a mind-reader! I was just coming on here to ask how figure out how many grams of protein a person generally needs , because they tell us ounces but that really only works for meats and such. However, there's other foods that contain protein but don't necessarily fit in the category of figuring it out by ounces but all packages at least tell you how many grams. Even though I'm post transplant, I still have a hard time getting the right amount of protein in my diet.  :thx;
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 10:03:26 PM by Roxy » Logged
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 10:54:12 PM »

Zach you must be a mind-reader!

:bow; :bow; The Allmighty Zach know's ALL ;)  :bow; :bow;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
st789

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 11:44:36 PM »

Follow strict diet means discipline and resources to follow through.  Zach is our guru in this category.
LightLizard

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 04:59:06 PM »

the protien powder that the kidney foundation provides for me is quite versatile, really.
i put a heaping scoop in my morning coffee, and you can mix it with mashed potatoes, too.
be wary of the commercial brands of the stuff, though. some of them contain phosphorus and fairly high concentrations of sodium and potassium.
fish and chicken works for me, and i'm always open to a nice steak, if its prepared properly.
milk is for babies.
;)

love

~LL~
Redbomb

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 05:13:28 PM »

Question:

I was wondering about Soy-based protein powders? Does anyone know if they are "allowed"?

Thanks,
LightLizard

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 05:25:47 PM »

beans are pretty high in phosphorus, and i don't think soybeans are an exception. but, there is a fermentation process that the soy beans must go through to be digestable, so you might be onto something good, there.
;)

love

~LL~
LightLizard

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »

from CBN.com...

" Healthy kidney function is vital for removing metabolic waste products from the blood and for maintaining healthy cholesterol levels. Diabetics are particularly susceptible to poor kidney health due to high blood sugar levels. Some researchers have suggested that more vegetable protein supports better kidney health (1-3).

More specifically, medical studies suggest that soy protein with its isoflavones may have multiple benefits for supporting kidney health (4,5), and is an excellent choice for adding vegetable protein to one’s diet.

In a randomized clinical trial, Type II diabetics were instructed to replace their usual diet with a soy-enriched diet (6). Switching to the soy diet reduced the amount of protein and nitrogen in the urine suggesting a favorable effect on kidney function. Also, soy consumption reduced total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides. Similar lipid lowering effects also have been observed in renal transplant patients (7).

People on dialysis, who are prone to protein malnutrition, may also benefit. Preliminary data University of Kentucky reveals that dialysis patients, when given soy protein, experience a decrease in protein malnutrition, suggesting that soy protein may be beneficial in supporting a better nutritional status in dialysis patients (8).

If you are interested in soy and kidney health support, ask your health care professional about adding more soy to your diet."

(talk to your dietician about this. there are many studies and opinions, and it's virtually impossible to tell who has what agenda in all of it.)

love

~LL~

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 02:56:01 AM »

NUTREN® RENAL, in eight oz. cans, is for kidney patients.  I drink it as soon as I return from hemodialysis.  It tastes awful, so I add some extra sugar and coffee/seltzer to cut it.  It has good overall nutrition and for the 17 grams of protein it only has 175 mg of phosphorus.  So just 2 PhosLos or 3 Renagels. Plus you get 500 calories to help your body use the protein for muscle and not for energy.

It's a bit expensive at $3.45 each, so I use it only right after dialysis.

Designer Whey Protein Powder is what I use every day. 19 grams of protein, only 140 mg of Phosphorus and 100 mg of Potassium (Chocolate flavor not included). So just one PhosLo or 2 Renagels.

It comes in different flavors, but since it uses SUCRALOSE, I buy the natural flavor and add my own sugar and flavoring.  Mixes well in a glass without the need for a blender.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 02:58:28 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Meinuk

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 03:00:38 AM »

I use Unjury - also expensive, but the unflavored blends well.  20 grams of protein per scoop.

http://www.unjury.com/reg/renal.shtml

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 03:06:55 AM »

I use Unjury - also expensive, but the unflavored blends well.  20 grams of protein per scoop.

http://www.unjury.com/reg/renal.shtml

Meinuk is right, it's a good protein powder, too. And the folks who run it are very nice.

I make films.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »