I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:24:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Can you sue for stupidity?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can you sue for stupidity?  (Read 10902 times)
Rusty

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2006, 09:06:14 AM »

If you only miss a few minutes of treatment then its no big deal. Missing half an hour or more as a one off could be dangerous, but it is different for everyone.  I suggest that if your treatment is cut short, that you be extra careful with your food intake until the next treatment. And remember, if you come off the machine with extra fluid on, you need to factor that into your allowance, as you will be trying to take that off next time. It is better to be safe than sorry. Also learn what the symptoms of high potassium are, so you can get immediate help if you are worried. If you are concerned, ask them to take post Dx bloods so at least you have some peace of mind. 

Something to remember is that your dialysis efficiency decreases exponentially as time passes.  When your treatment begins, the osmotic efficiency is very high because of the large difference in concentration between the blood toxins and the dialysate (or bath).  As time goes on, and osmotic pressure drops, and your rate of clearance drops significantly.  For instance, if you run 70% of your time, the amount of dialysis that occurrs is significantly more than 70%, because most of it happened in the first half of your treatment.  The last few minutes accomplish very little cleansing dialysis.  But don't confuse dialysis with ultrafiltrate, which is fluid removal.  On my machine, Fresenius 2008H, ultrafiltrate can be programmed on a curve to help prevent cramping.  New patients often don't realize the difference between UF and Dialysis.
So I'm basically agreeing with what aMbEr said
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 09:08:25 AM by Rusty » Logged

Lean into it and keep on truckin'
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2006, 10:22:41 AM »

On my machine, Fresenius 2008H, ultrafiltrate can be programmed on a curve to help prevent cramping.  New patients often don't realize the difference between UF and Dialysis.
Is the F2008H the same as the D2008K (mine)?? What is the difference between the UF and Dialysis? Isn't UF the fluid that is taken out where as just dialysis is the toxins taken out?

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
kevno

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 10:39:51 AM »

On our Unit you can say it as got better :-\ Get grabbed everytime I go onto the unit now to get put on the machine. So I can not escape to the cafe >:( Or clear off for a walk :) To many nurses, the unit is training all the nurses for the new unit. So now, NO ESCAPE FOR ME ;)

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 12:14:19 PM »

These are some pretty serious issues.  At this point I would be wondering if there is an alternative dialysis unit you might use.  While all of your complaints are valid you don't want to anger them too much because they are holding your life in their hands.  Who knows what might happen if someone is rubbed too far the wrong way.  I think discussing this privately with the DON and then moving up the ladder if you don't get satisfaction is called for here.  Discussing this on the open floor just lets everyone know and makes this a topic for gossip.  I'm not sure if you can sue over these incidents but if there is a pattern here you could discuss it with an attorney.
Dr. Evil

...dialysis IS the miracle...

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2006, 03:52:19 PM »

For those in the US, there is the ESRD Networks.  If you have a problem that the local DON can't or won't deal with, you can report the problem to the Network.  This is the patient advocacy group that is funded by medicare to provide such an outlet for problems.  Your ESRD center should be able to provide you with the phone number, or a quick google serach should get it.

Don't call the lawyer....unless you want to give him more of your money!

Solo Private Practice Nephrologist, Board Certified in Nephrology and Internal Medicine
Somewhere in the USA
"I am not really sure how the kidneys work, but I sure know what to do when they don't!"
Rusty

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2006, 08:11:03 PM »

On my machine, Fresenius 2008H, ultrafiltrate can be programmed on a curve to help prevent cramping.  New patients often don't realize the difference between UF and Dialysis.
Is the F2008H the same as the D2008K (mine)?? What is the difference between the UF and Dialysis? Isn't UF the fluid that is taken out where as just dialysis is the toxins taken out?

The K is newer, but essentially the same.
Yes, UF is fluid removal and dialysis is toxin removal.  The bicarb pump volume is set relative to your GOAL setting, and Dialysate bath is pumped to remove toxins.  My machine pumps the bath at a steady rate, but I think some can be programmed on a curve too.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 08:12:52 PM by Rusty » Logged

Lean into it and keep on truckin'
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2006, 09:17:52 PM »

Well, the employees are calling the new owners of the center where I go Renal Disadvantage Inc.  instead of Renal Advantage Inc.  Interesting??? I think it is payback for "all fetch and no pats on the head" syndrome that is going around there. The office staff seems pretty happy and few change overs have happened there.  Two firings of techs and no hirings make third shift hard for them to get people to stay for. 

I see care being given that was not given before.  I see new bandaids that when pulled suck the skin right off of you. I see nurses on the floor working not just sitting in the back having a coffee break.  I also have some techs and nurses checking with me before giving me meds. Seems  some techs work through their shift, not just do what has to be done, then quit until time to take patients off.  I see techs working towards LVN status.  Good, better care for me by more knowledgable people. I like what I see, but still am going to look at Fresenius in San Bernardino as a possibility.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2006, 09:43:37 PM »

Well, the employees are calling the new owners of the center where I go Renal Disadvantage Inc.  instead of Renal Advantage Inc.  Interesting??? I think it is payback for "all fetch and no pats on the head" syndrome that is going around there. The office staff seems pretty happy and few change overs have happened there.  Two firings of techs and no hirings make third shift hard for them to get people to stay for. 

I see care being given that was not given before.  I see new bandaids that when pulled suck the skin right off of you. I see nurses on the floor working not just sitting in the back having a coffee break.  I also have some techs and nurses checking with me before giving me meds. Seems  some techs work through their shift, not just do what has to be done, then quit until time to take patients off.  I see techs working towards LVN status.  Good, better care for me by more knowledgable people. I like what I see, but still am going to look at Fresenius in San Bernardino as a possibility.

:clap;  Good news!! :2thumbsup;

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »