I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:23:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  odd question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: odd question  (Read 3072 times)
George Jung

« on: August 28, 2007, 03:21:11 PM »

Is it possible for there to be a situation when someone has received too much dialysis?

ex.  If they had an acute episode resulting in failure - put on dialysis - returned function - continued dialysis.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 03:34:01 PM »

We had an older man that happend to, his kidney function returning, he went in, told the nurses that he had been urinating yellow all weekend, they called his neph, neph ordered a blood test and from what i know (i left that clinic before seeing what happend) but a nurse said that the man is no longer needing dialysis.  But that is  a good question, what if he didnt realize his function had come back and went ahead and did dialysis, i think he would of had crashed.  I think this is a good question for Zach or Stauffenberg  :P

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 04:23:42 PM »

At the beginning of my time on dialysis I had considerable residual renal function and had several episodes during which dialysis was stopped for a week or two.  During the first seven months of dialysis I had to be careful to eat EXTRA potassium because the dialysis process, which I needed for elevated creatinine but not for elevated creatinine, was always bringing me down to dangerously low potassium levels.
Laurie

May 13, 2008

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 04:42:21 AM »

Yes, it is possible to have too much dialysis. It happened to me. I would get really bad headaches while on the machine and would make them take me off early because I felt so bad. The headaches would be so bad I would leave the center and go straight home and sleep for hours. Finally after about 3 weeks of this, my doctor decided to do a 24-hour urine test and found out my kidney function had improved and I no longer needed dialysis.

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
George Jung

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 05:15:27 AM »

Thanks you guys.  This is interesting.  I am not going to have any false hopes but a 24hr urinalysis is DEFIANTLY in order.  I have seen a trend in my output (increasingly more) so it seems to be a good time to look at it closer

Laurie, do you remember where your headaches were?  Front or back?  My past couple of treatments (especially yesterday) were/are just as you describe.

Stauffenberg, what did you do with your time off?  If I manage to squeeze 1 excused day off of dialysis (from the doctor) I am going to have some plan ready to put in action.  A week off of dialysis?  Holly molly, it's on!!!!  "Toes in the sand and a drink in my hand" (most likely non-alcoholic...well, maybe a margarita, on the rocks w/salt please).
Laurie

May 13, 2008

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 05:27:14 AM »

From what I remember (it was 5 years ago) they were in the front.
Have you done a 24-hour urine test? 

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
George Jung

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 06:45:40 AM »

Have you done a 24-hour urine test? 

I will be doing one in the next couple of days.  It has been ordered, I just need to pick up the container and fill it.  I'll be sure to post anything interesting.
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 09:07:28 AM »

I also used to have headaches during my early days on dialysis, which were always located in the forehead.  This was the result of fluid being taken out of the body for the dialysis process when no fluid needed to be removed, since I had completely normal urine production for the first three years of dialysis.

Since I was first on dialysis because of a rare autoimmune disease which caused the renal failure, I was stuck in the hospital during my rare vacations from dialysis, fighting the other disease, so there was not much time for fun in the sun!

Statistics show that there is a 1% rate of spontaneous recovery from renal failure which permits patients to escape dialysis.  However, the kidney is a supersensitive organ, and any severe damage to it tends to make it permanently weak and inclined to fail again later.  This is in contrast to most other organs of the body, which tend to repair themselves over time.

If you have a hope of getting off dialysis because of improving renal function, perhaps you want to consider an alternative treatment along with your dialysis, such as acupuncture?  Chinese physicians treat patients with declining renal function with Cordyceps, which they claim strengthens the kidney and allows it to rebuild itself, as long as it is not too severely damaged.  You can obtain it in any health food store or vitamin shop in China Town, if there is one near you.
George Jung

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 11:37:54 AM »

Hmmm.......my last headache was in the back of my head.  I don't remember about any before that but I will pay attention when the next one occurs.

I have no high hopes or expectations as there is only one place they lead to...............disappointment.  I will take each day for what it is and have some happy thoughts about a get away (weather it is tomorrow or 5 yrs from now).  Everybody needs to dream right? 

I will say that I am anxious to have this 24hr urineanalysis complete.  Any time there is a change in my health/condition (for better or for worse) I like to know whats up.

Thank you all for the constructive input/replies.
Hope

Flipping off kidney disease since 2008

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 12:44:40 AM »

Statistics show that there is a 1% rate of spontaneous recovery from renal failure which permits patients to escape dialysis. However, the kidney is a supersensitive organ, and any severe damage to it tends to make it permanently weak and inclined to fail again later. This is in contrast to most other organs of the body, which tend to repair themselves over time.

Does anybody have more information or an article on "spontaneous recovery from renal failure?" My research has led me nowhere  :(
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 12:57:17 AM »

... spontaneous recovery from renal failure is mentioned here:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2369/4/9 Recovery of renal function in dialysis patients
and
http://www.citeulike.org/user/p_waghs/article/2894647 The use of rocuronium (ORG 9426) in patients with chronic renal failure.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »