I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:43:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Pain Medicine
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pain Medicine  (Read 8431 times)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« on: August 16, 2007, 08:16:08 PM »

For anyone with any kind of pain... what was the name and strength of the pain medicine that helped you the most?

I'm asking because all they are doing for my AVN right now is pain management... so I was taking Vicodin 5/500mg and I finally had to tell the doctor this medicine is doing nothing for me and I need something else. This time they wrote me Lortab 10/500mg take 1 every 6 hours... still, this does NOTHING for me, even when i take more than 1 at a time.. So I am becoming very frustrated, and want some suggestions to come to the Dr with for this pain to be relieved.

So, I wanna know what works for others... Maybe there is stuff I haven't got to try yet that may help. I have been on pain killers for MANY years, so my body has become adjusted to most all.. which sucks b/c in reality these Lortab 10's should relieve some pain, but they do not. :(

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 08:42:17 PM »

For my foot I've been on generic for Lortab 5/500mg, every 6 hrs.
In the beginning it didn't even help.  Now the pain has lessened a little
at times so sometimes it helps some at night.  Also take EX S Tylenol PM.
Doc said a lot of mine is nerve endings and not a lot to do for that.
When my daughter-in-law had sinus surg. she was on percaset (sp?)
and my s-in-law was on darvaset for hip surgery.  She said it helped a lot.
I hope you find something that helps cause pain is hard to live with
every day. 

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 09:40:43 PM »

Other than morphine, the most effective pain medicine for me is Vicodin 500mg.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 05:21:58 AM »

Several years ago I had very bad chest pains which turned out to be musco skeletal inflamation and not heart related. Nevertheless I was in excrutiating pain for 7 days. I found the most effective pain killer to be a drug called Tramadol. Be careful not to overuse it though because it can become addictive.

Ken
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 09:50:41 AM »

I use Darvocet when I need it.  It doesn't really make the pain stop - it just makes it so you don't care about it. . . probably not what you are looking for!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 01:27:33 PM »

my husband has chronic pain- he is on the Duragesic 25mg patch- whenever he has extra pain they just bump it to 50 for awhile- then we have to cut the patch and wean him down as he gets better. HOWEVER, this drug is very addictive- and forgetting a patch is disaster- it takes hours for the horrible shakes to go away.

But I will say it works for the pain.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 08:01:45 PM »

I use Darvocet when I need it.  It doesn't really make the pain stop - it just makes it so you don't care about it. . . probably not what you are looking for!

Hey, if I don't think about it, that's better than taking something and STILL being in pain AND thinking about it.  :D

stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 09:16:29 AM »

By far the best, and the weirdest, pain reliever is Versed (also called Medazolam), which works in a totally different way from most analgesics, which are typically opiates and so carry a risk of addiction.  With Versed you can feel the pain that you are having, but your consciousness is so profoundly altered that you find it amusing rather than distressing! Anything and everything in the world, from the death of your entire family in a car crash or a diagnosis of cancer simply seems hilarious or unimportant, so you are impervious to all distress.  Whenever I have had this drug for surgical procedures I have always thought, if only I could find some way to make myself expereince the world this way all the time, life would just be an entertaining adventure without tragedy. Think of how successful you could be if you were always on that drug, since you could take any risks necessary, because you would not fear the consequences.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 09:41:05 PM »

Interesting, but sounds kind of scary, LOL.

rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 01:03:06 PM »

I'm three weeks past my transplant surgery and still take Norco 10/325 every 6 hrs or just 4 times a day.  I still have the pain though.  I need a refill which when I go to my transplant follow-up I would like something stronger as well.  I'm not sure if I'm just getting used to the pain medicine or its just not working for me.  I'm curious as well.

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
mmmmdeedee

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 02:21:24 PM »

Congratulations Rimbo on the transplant. I received mine from my older brother 07/24/07. Yeah!

As for the painkillers. Vicodin does absolutely nothing for me. They may as well give me Tylenol. I like Percocet or if at all possible, Delauded. Wonderful stuff. They would only give it to me in the hospital but I noticed on a website (I was researching it earlier -that's how wonderful it is) that it does come in pill form. In many different strengths.

All of my doctors are very stingy on the painkillers - I guess with good reason. But if  you are in pain, you must insist on some relief. There are so many pk's out there, and a lot of them safe for our conditions, that there is no reason to be suffering.

1st on dialysis: 1986
1st transplant: 1990
1st failure: 05/06
CCPD
2nd transplant 07/24/07
rimbo74

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 11:21:46 PM »

Wow, you are a week before me!  How are you holding up?

I go tomorrow to get my PD catheter taken out so I'm going to ask for percocet.  I'm like you, I feel like vicodin is like taking tylenol.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 09:50:50 AM »

Why didn't they take your PD cath out in your transplant surgery, rimbo? That's what they did for me anyways, but my transplant started working immediatly also and creatnine was below 1.0 too.

As for pain meds, still have found NOThInG that helps at home, of course IV morphine would make me happy, it's not possible since i'm not in the hospital.

I didn't get a chance to talk to the dr about my pain meds and switching them around last clinic due to being in pain elsewhere and being admitted for it.. so this time I hope to get it covered and switched.

rimbo74

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 08:24:31 PM »

My brothers kidney worked immediately as well.  They just like to leave it in for a couple more weeks for a "just in case".  They told me that if they took it out and something happened where I would have to get on dialysis, they would have to do hemo.  So they wanted to wait a couple of weeks.  No more tube now though, its great.  I asked for percocet (sp) but they gave me Vicodin.  Still feel the pain but I don't really care about it.   :2thumbsup;

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 08:32:06 PM »

Right on rimbo.. :)

keefer51

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 02:44:57 AM »

Because as i have said in another thread, some people including the idiots that sometime are in the emergency room at hospitals look at me and think i am faking "It". It being pain. But sometimes i do come across a person with commpassion and they always give me Dilaudid. When i was diagnosed with tic douloureux which is a compression of a nerve in my head they gave me a Fentanyl patch which is taking away the pain.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »

Im on Opana...But i want whatever stauffenberg is having...LOL
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 06:07:48 PM »

Im on Opana...But i want whatever stauffenberg is having...LOL

Yes it is looking and more and more tempting since nothing else is working yet.. at least I could be enjoying my pain instead of hating it.  ;D

mmmmdeedee

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007, 07:55:04 PM »

Wow, you are a week before me!  How are you holding up?

I go tomorrow to get my PD catheter taken out so I'm going to ask for percocet.  I'm like you, I feel like vicodin is like taking tylenol.

I am doing terrific! Only problem, if you can call it that, is my brother's kidney is HUGE! It sticks out like crazy so it looks like I am well, chubby. Oh well. I am peeing like a queen now!

I had my PD cath taken out during the transplant surgery also. But I also had a permacath in at the time. I had tubes coming out all over my poor little body. So it was easier to take out the cath during the surgery. They had a backup! I just got the permacath taken out this week. Didnt hurt at all.

What are your creatanine levels? Mine have been stayng between 0.9 to 1.0. Pretty darned good I'd say!

Hope you are doing well also.
Dee Dee

1st on dialysis: 1986
1st transplant: 1990
1st failure: 05/06
CCPD
2nd transplant 07/24/07
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 08:49:23 PM »

I get Versed with the fistulagrams.  It just makes me sleep - which is pretty amazing considering they have me propped on that little "ironing board" table during the procedure.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2007, 03:16:32 PM »

Well the doctor has wrote me a prescription for OxyContin, and I will get it in the mail in a few days since it's too strong of s pain medicine it's in the class that it cannot be faxed or called into the pharmacy, it has to be brought in by hand. So, hopefully in a few days when I get it I'll be in less pain and can start doing some light exercises again.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 04:33:30 PM »

Well the doctor has wrote me a prescription for OxyContin, and I will get it in the mail in a few days since it's too strong of s pain medicine it's in the class that it cannot be faxed or called into the pharmacy, it has to be brought in by hand. So, hopefully in a few days when I get it I'll be in less pain and can start doing some light exercises again.

Please be careful with that stuff. You probably know that it's a narcotic drug approved for the treatment of moderate to severe pain. It's great for short term pain relief, but as with any narcotic used long term, a patient can become dependent on it. My husband eventually had to go through detox and is off all pain meds now. He just minimizes his activity, which is hard for him because he was always a very active person. But the addiction was very tough on him too!
Here's more info: http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/oxycontin/oxycontin-qa.htm

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Redbomb

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 04:41:03 PM »

I'll second what okarol said.  It's wonderful stuff, but can be addictive.  Also, if you have a sensitive stomach, take it with a bit of food.  I don't have a problem, but my Dad will get sick on that stuff unless he eats a bit of something when he takes it. 

That's just my  :twocents; worth.  :)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 04:52:02 PM »

Yeah, thank you both. I'm currently on Vicodin, which is also addictive, and as of the last 6 month's isn't even helping the pain, but I still take it, dunno if i'm addited or if i'm taking it to think it's heping something. I shall be careful though.. I just hope I an get the surgery I need soon so I can be off the pain meds for good. :)

Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 05:05:43 PM »

Angela, I really feel your pain when it comes to this issue.  For the first two years on Dialysis I had severe pain with the needles giving me burning agony for 3 hours EVERY treatment.  I was pretty miserable so they prescribed 500mg of Vicodin.  The pleasant part was what a stupor it put me in, so it seemed Dialysis was going by faster than usual.  The negative aspects were pretty pronounced though.  I started having terrible digestive issues with vomiting and continually upset stomach.  At one point I was up to 3000mg three days a week.  I wouldn't take it otherwise, so it was a manageable addiction I guess.  I rarely take it now and have a personal stash just in case they're needed, but it's probably been 6 months.

I guess my question to you would be what kind of pain issues are you having.  Are they during Dialysis or because of the side effects?

I truly feel for you when it comes to pain issues.  Medical professionals figure if you're alive, they've done their job, but if you're suffering, it's not their problem.  This has been one of my main issues with the medical issues ever since I was a child.

Take care Angela.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »