I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 06:42:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Could someone please tell me.............
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could someone please tell me.............  (Read 5261 times)
TynyOne

This is how I feel on Friday nites during dialysis

« on: August 11, 2007, 02:37:22 PM »

I was reading about Amanda's scary day (I hope I got her name right) and there were several times this word was mentioned and I do not know what it means, could someone please tell me what the word, hyperkalemia, means?  Does that just have something to do with diabetics?   I am sorry to even have to ask but I am still a "newbie" to this ESRD and I want to learn all I can.  Thanks in advance to everyone who can respond to me and please explain it in terms, I can understand!    LOL

Tammy
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 02:59:48 PM »

Hyperkalemia is high potassium (I think - I've never actually had it).

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 04:35:33 PM »

it is high potassium. Very dangerous!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 05:34:16 PM »

Hyperkalemia

Alternative names   

High potassium; Potassium - high

Definition   

Hyperkalemia is a condition caused by higher than normal levels of potassium in the bloodstream.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors   

Potassium has many functions in the body. It helps to regulate the activity of all muscle tissue -- smooth muscles (such as the muscles in the intestines), the muscles of the heart, and skeletal muscles.

Potassium is part of the enzyme reactions in digestion and metabolism. It is also part of homeostasis, the mechanism that maintains a balance between the many electrical and chemical processes of the body.

Almost all (98%) potassium in the body is found inside the cells (intracellular). Only about 2% occurs in the fluids outside of the cells (extracellular). Potassium can move into and out of cells.

Blood tests reflect only the extracellular potassium levels, and do not indicate the amount of potassium within the cells. Movement of potassium into or out of cells can change the blood potassium level (serum potassium) when there is no change in the total amount of potassium in the body.

Hyperkalemia occurs when the level of potassium in the bloodstream is higher than normal. This may be related to increase in total body potassium or excessive release of potassium from the cells into the bloodstream.

The kidneys normally excrete excess potassium from the body. Therefore, most cases of hyperkalemia are caused by disorders that reduce the kidneys' ability to excrete potassium. Insufficient kidney function may result from disorders including (but not limited to):

Acute kidney failure
Chronic kidney failure
Lupus nephritis
Rejection of a kidney transplant
Obstructive uropathy
Glomerulonephritis
The hormone aldosterone (see the aldosterone test) regulates kidney excretion of sodium and potassium. Lack of aldosterone can result in hyperkalemia with an increase in total body potassium. Addison's disease is one disorder that causes reduced aldosterone production.

Any time potassium is released from the cells, it may accumulate in the extracellular fluid and the bloodstream. Acidosis (acidic condition of the body) results in movement of potassium from inside the cells to the extracellular fluid.

Tissue trauma causes the cells to release potassium into the extracellular fluid. This includes:

Traumatic injury
Surgery
Gastrointestinal bleeding
Tumors
Burns
Hemolytic conditions (disorders that cause blood cells to burst)
Rhabdomyolysis from drug ingestion, alcoholism, coma, or certain infections
If kidney function is adequate, and sufficient amounts of aldosterone are present, tissue trauma alone rarely results in hyperkalemia. A normally functioning kidney will excrete the excess potassium that has been released from the cells.

Increased intake of potassium may cause hyperkalemia if kidney function is poor. Salt substitutes often contain potassium, as do many "low-salt" packaged foods. Hyperkalemia may be caused by medications, including medications that affect kidney function (potassium sparing diuretics, such as spironolactone, amiloride, or triamterene) and potassium supplements (especially intravenous potassium).

Hyperkalemia can have serious, potentially life-threatening effects on the body. A gradual increase in potassium, as may occur with chronic renal failure, may be better tolerated than a sudden increase. Slightly higher than normal potassium levels may be well tolerated by some persons with chronic renal failure.

Symptoms   

Hyperkalemia often has no symptoms. Occasionally, the following signs or symptoms may be seen:

Nausea
Irregular heartbeat (this may be an emergency symptom if prolonged or severe)
Slow, weak, or absent pulse (emergency symptom)
Signs and tests    Return to top

The pulse may be slow or irregular.
Serum potassium is high.
ECG may show potentially lethal arrhythmias:
Bradycardia (slower-than-normal heart beat) that progressively slows.
Heart block that may become complete heart block.
Ventricular fibrillation.
ECG may show changes indicative of hyperkalemia.
Treatment   

Cardiac arrest (absent heartbeat) may occur at any time during treatment of hyperkalemia. Hospitalization and close monitoring is required.

ACUTE TREATMENT

The goal of acute treatment is to protect the body from the effects of hyperkalemia. This may include protective measures, shift of potassium into the intracellular fluid, and reduction of total body potassium.

Emergency treatment is indicated if the potassium is very high, or if severe symptoms are present, including changes in the ECG.

Intravenous calcium may be given to temporarily counteract the muscle and heart effects of hyperkalemia, including cardiac arrhythmias (irregular heart beats). Intravenous (given in the vein) calcium will only counteract symptoms for about 1 hour, so other treatments should begin immediately.

Intravenous glucose and insulin moves potassium from the extracellular fluids back into the cells. This may reverse severe symptoms long enough to allow correction of the cause of the hyperkalemia.

Sodium bicarbonate causes potassium to shift from extracellular to intracellular fluids. It may reverse hyperkalemia caused by acidosis with no other treatment required. Prolonged use of sodium bicarbonate should be avoided because it may cause severe complications.

Diuretic medications (water pills) cause decrease in total body potassium. They may be prescribed for people who can tolerate the loss of body fluid that accompanies use of a diuretic.

Cation-exchange resins, such as sodium polystyrene sulfonate (Kayexalate), are medications that bind (attach to) potassium and cause it to be excreted from the gastrointestinal tract. These medications may be given orally or rectally.

Dialysis may be used to reduce total body potassium levels, especially if kidney function is compromised. Dialysis is indicated when more conservative measures have failed or are inappropriate.

LONG-TERM TREATMENT

Long-term treatment includes treatment of the cause and associated disorders.

Treatment of chronic renal failure may include dietary potassium restriction. "Loop diuretics" may be prescribed to reduce potassium and fluid levels in persons with chronic renal failure.

Need for potassium supplements and other medications that may cause hyperkalemia should be reviewed by the health care provider. These medications may be stopped, reduced in dose, or substituted by another medication.

Salt substitute, often used by people on a low salt diet, should not be used by those with renal failure or a history of hyperkalemia.

Expectations (prognosis)   

The probable outcome is variable. The disorder may cause deadly complications, or it may be well tolerated by the body.

Complications   

Changes in neuromuscular control
Arrhythmias
Cardiac arrest
Calling your health care provider   

Go to the emergency room or call the local emergency number (such as 911) if symptoms indicating hyperkalemia are present. Emergency symptoms include loss of consciousness, changes in breathing pattern, nausea, weakness and absent or weak heartbeat.

Prevention   

Disorders that may cause hyperkalemia should be treated promptly. Serum potassium should be monitored in persons with these conditions.

Kidney function should be assessed prior to and during administration of potassium supplements. They should not be given unless the urine output and kidney function is adequate.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001179.htm

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 08:33:49 PM »

Yup, High Potassium... I guess i;m fortunate to never feel the symptoms b/c I have had plenty of times my Potassium was 6.0 and higher.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Earlinda

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 08:38:19 PM »

Thank you Okarol for the excellent information.  I had questions about what Amanda went through too and you answered them all.  You are so awesome!   :yahoo;

Earlinda
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 08:21:39 AM »

I make them put me on 1K.  This bull-shit about nagging me about HIGH potassium all the time got to me.  1K and I'm fine.

TynyOne

This is how I feel on Friday nites during dialysis

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 05:33:33 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their responses, I greatly appreciate it.   I noticed that the article mentioned the medicine sodium bicarb and I am on that medication but that article said it is not for long term use, I wonder what is considered "long term use"?  I guess I will ask my kidney doc the next time I see him.  Thanks again to everyone for your response.

Tammy
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 10:31:24 PM »

I make them put me on 1K.  This bull-poo about nagging me about HIGH potassium all the time got to me.  1K and I'm fine.

WTF?  I can't say "Bull-s h i t" on this site?  Who put bull "poo"?  What mod changed my post!  Why don't I see a "last modified by?"

I want an answer! 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 10:35:57 PM by Rerun » Logged

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 10:37:48 PM »

OK OK there is an autimatic change when I write s h i t  it turns to poo.  Shit  see?? 

What is doing this?  It is not Epoman unless he is an angel now. 

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 11:07:33 PM »

You're kidding??? If I write shit it no longer says shit? Come on!!
WHOA!! That is too freaky!
Epoman has the final word - and it ain't shit (I wrote S H I T everytime.)

tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 12:23:57 AM »

that's enough to give you the S H I T S  :banghead;  ;)

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »

Studies have shown that Hyperkalemia can also be caused by ACE inhibitor bloodpressure drugs such as Analapril  and Ramapril and also Angio-Retensin blockers such as Candesarten.

Ken
pdpatty

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 06:52:35 PM »

Could lisinopril cause it too? I am taking 40mg lisinopril and my potassium keeps cliimbing. It was 5.5 this last blood test. That was a .5 increase from previous test. I try to avoid all high potassium foods.
Think I will ask about including lasix back.I always had very low potassium before hemo. It never went above 3.2-3.4.
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 05:31:04 AM »

Could lisinopril cause it too? I am taking 40mg lisinopril and my potassium keeps cliimbing. It was 5.5 this last blood test. That was a .5 increase from previous test. I try to avoid all high potassium foods.
Think I will ask about including lasix back.I always had very low potassium before hemo. It never went above 3.2-3.4.

Yes. Lisinopril is an ace inhibitor like analapril and ramipril. If you have only been taking Lisinpril since starting Haemo then I think it's more than coincidence that your potassium went up at the same time.

Ken
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 12:10:11 PM »

I make them put me on 1K.  This bull-poo about nagging me about HIGH potassium all the time got to me.  1K and I'm fine.

WTF?  I can't say "Bull-s h i t" on this site?  Who put bull "poo"?  What mod changed my post!  Why don't I see a "last modified by?"

I want an answer! 

This problem has been resolved and we can all go back to "shitting" now,  :oops;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
LightLizard

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 01:37:26 PM »

oh POO! i just washed my hands, too.
 :rofl;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 06:42:05 PM »

oh POO! i just washed my hands, too.
 :rofl;

funny  ;D

Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 09:27:50 AM »

SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT--Just testing!

Ken
Jill D.

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 12:44:56 PM »

This thread about high potassium is very serious and informative....but I must admit that the shit about shit has me cracking up!!! :lol;

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 11:50:23 PM »

Why were Tiger and Piglet looking in the toilet?

They were looking for Pooh!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 08:27:34 AM »

Boilogy teacher said to boy who was embarrassed to say the word 'penis'

'It's penis boy! this is biology we don't beat about the bush we say the word! And which book are you reading at the moment boy!

Boy replied 'Whinnie the SHIT.....sir 

Ken
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »