I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 08:27:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Walking any Distance-getting harder to do
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Walking any Distance-getting harder to do  (Read 4766 times)
boxman55
Elite Member

« on: July 21, 2007, 06:24:51 PM »

Lately it has been getting harder for me to walk any distance. After about 2 blocks I start to get tired but mostly I start to get weak in the legs to were I'm walking funny (unstable) and my lower legs start hurting. If I rest for a little bit it goes away but after 2-3 blocks it all starts again. I would guess it is because of low blood flow to the lower legs from diabetes and water retention from kidney failure. Any one else experience this?...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
LightLizard

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 06:41:45 PM »

i experience exactly what you describe. it's really frustrating, too, because walking used to be one of my favourite pastimes. i don't drive, either, so it really has put some unpleasant limitations on my life, and my spouse. we used to walk for miles, literally.
i'm slowly trying to rebuild the muscle i lost during my bedridden phase, but my condition doesn't leave much stamina for me to work with, and after a few blocks my legs begin to feel so heavy that i start to doubt that i can make it home. i use a cane now, mainly for balance and 'security' on the streets, but i also find myself using it like an oar, sometimes, when i'm walking.
sometimes i'll just walk around our apartment, to get some movement happening, in a big, figure-eight pattern, over and over, until my legs get tired. i hope this can help to rebuild my stamina a bit, and it's also a way to work through the restlessness i feel when i spend too much time indoors.

love

~LL~
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 08:08:06 AM »

I had what you describe, but I had ignored my symptoms for far too long, and by the time I was dragged to the ER by family, I couldn't make it up the stairs at home without feeling like my legs were going to fall off. When I got to the ER, my creatnine was 12, my BUN was around 150 and my potassium was 1.5

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 08:59:26 AM »

I hope you find the answers and get this problem corrected soon.. it's a long walk to my house at that pace >:D
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 10:15:25 AM »

As the arteries in the legs narrow, it can become necessary to stop walking every now and then in order to let the oxygenation of the tissues in the legs catch up with the extra demands made on them by exercise.  In Germany this condiition, known in medicine as 'intermittent claudification,' is called 'Schaufenster Krankheit,' meaning 'store window disease.'  This refers to the fact that people who suddenly have to stop walking try to make their behavior look more normal by pretending to have stopped to look in the store windows! 
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 02:53:43 PM »

I hope you find the answers and get this problem corrected soon.. it's a long walk to my house at that pace >:D
wow stauffenberg nailed it. I do exactly that I will find a chair and sit a spell like everything is normal. Knowing full well if I try walking I will stagger like I"m drunk. Now as far as making it to your house Sluff people in the valley are always drunk so I'll fit right in.....Boxman

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 03:49:23 PM »

Now as far as making it to your house Sluff people in the valley are always drunk so I'll fit right in.....Boxman

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;
alrightstill

BAH!

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 10:50:38 AM »

This same exact thing happens to me.  It got so bad they did one of those nerve conduction tests where they stick the little needles all over your legs.. The test came back fine, so my question as to why this was happening was still left unanswered. 

Its funny, I do try to play it off like I'm looking in a store window -- or I'll pull out my cell phone and pretend I can't walk/chewgum AND talk on the phone at the same time and need to rest for a minute.   ;)

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 07:50:49 PM »

It is so nice to know I am not the only one!  I always want to push the shopping cart at Target, so I can lean on it!  My daughters want to "help" me by pushing it----but I either need to lean or sit.   :rofl;
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 08:39:44 AM by paris » Logged

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
keefer51

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 08:05:47 PM »

Before i went on dialysis i was stuck in a storm where i couldn't run. I knew dialysis was around the corner so i waited. I was out of breath from fluid overload so i just got wet. Now since i am on dialysis i still can't walk far at all. I just don't care and sit or wait till i can walk again. My legs get very tired. I used to love to walk long distances. Now i can only do a couple of blocks.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 09:58:35 PM »

I have the saaame problem too... Even pushing the damn cart in the grocery store gets harder and harder.   Most times i will get in those little driving carts and Sam pushes the cart, i feel so bad doing it but Sam understands (i just wish people didnt look at me the way they do though)  :banghead;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 08:31:13 PM »

I have the saaame problem too... Even pushing the damn cart in the grocery store gets harder and harder. Most times i will get in those little driving carts and Sam pushes the cart, i feel so bad doing it but Sam understands (i just wish people didnt look at me the way they do though) :banghead;
I just can't bring myself to drive one of those carts yet. but I bet you look good putting around in one. Do you ever race anyone?   ;D Boxman...

Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 08:49:13 PM »

I need to use one of those motorized carts but am too afraid to.
I'm sure I would clip a corner too close and knock off a stack of cans or something.
or a little child would race in front of me and I'd have to slam on brakes.
I just have not been in store for months.  Have friends who do my
shopping for me right now.  Thank God for good friends.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 01:29:25 PM »

Wow. I felt like such a malingerer, I couldn't understand WHY I would feel so tired from walking, just from my car to the building at work. I feel better now. I thought it was me being lazy somehow.  Thanks guys. I do feel better, just knowing others have this same problem.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 02:15:53 PM »

Glad we could help...I guess     Boxman

MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 05:11:38 AM »

I know, Boxman. Mixed feelings. But knowing it's not me, does help. That tells me I'm not alone!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »