I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 10:21:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Nxstage.com A great company doing great things, check it out. Portable Dialysis.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nxstage.com A great company doing great things, check it out. Portable Dialysis.  (Read 86351 times)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2006, 08:20:00 PM »

O.K.....I read it.  ;D
You are dealing with a skeptical old cynic here, Ep'
So I'd need a bit o' convincing.....still, we've got you
now as our guinea pig.  :o ;)
...off ya go my son - round that maize...oh, no that's rats
isn't it, sorry !  :D
Seriously tho...glad you could get on the program so quickly!
Best of luck.....you _may_ have to change the site name, perhaps??? ::) ::)

No the site will always be called "ihatedialysis.com" and in my situation I will STILL hate dialysis, I'll just hate it from the comfort of my home.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 08:56:42 PM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
aarmer325

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2006, 10:42:26 PM »

Hi, my name is Alvin Armer.  I am the NxStage representative in Southern California that has been talking to Bill, "Epoman".  I am happy that he found a unit and am confident that things will work out for him.  If you have questions ??? regarding our product and live in So CA, please feel free to e-mail me at aarmer@nxstage.com.  If you live out of the area,  :o you can e-mail me and I will forward your message to the correct person or you can call our customer service group  ;D at 866-nxstage.  Also, visit our website at www.nxstage.com.
Thanks and I look forward to helping as much as I can.
Alvin
PS.  Keep an eye  ;) on Epoman, he is going on an exciting adventure!    :D
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2006, 04:39:01 PM »

Before I used to dream of seeing my son graduate high school and I would be content in knowing that I raised him and turned him into a man before my kidney failure finally got the best of me. But then a company like NxStage comes along and gives me hope and the very possibility of seeing my own son become a father himself. NxStage did not invent a new dialysis machine, they found a way to keep a father alive longer for his son.

This makes me want to cry. (in a good way)  :)

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Bear

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2006, 09:08:25 PM »

O.K> so now I've negotiated the site map & read the patients own story....
It's much more like being on P.D. (for those that P.D.actually works for) on
mobility factors - getting the fluid delivered wherever you're going.
I assume the dialyzers still come separate ?
Anyway, I shall be very interested to see if/when this thing makes it "down-under"
...I did notice they were adamant that patients shouldn't dialyze alone....I do tho! :D

waves...Bear
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2006, 05:40:03 AM »

Alvin, I live in Sacramento.... That is South of Redding in Southern California.  Is that South enough?  Don't you think you should start at the state's Capitol First?   ;D

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2006, 07:31:25 PM »

Well time for another update. I have 3 centers that I will possibly goto, one is not covered by Kaiser because they do not have a contract with them, but the center would take me with Medicare only (80%) however my Medicare is attached to my Kaiser and Kasier already told me if I go with that center they would drop me, the bastards. The second center is another Davita in fact it is U.C.L.A. Davita and Kaiser WILL cover them since I am already going to a Davita. The third center is a Kaiser center but they are my last resort. I do not want to be connected with a Kaiser center it's bad enough I have their insurance. I plan to drop them in December during open enrollment at my wifes job if I can't get into U.L.C.A. Davita. But thankfully everything is going as planned and U.C.L.A. has already requested my medical records from my current Davita center. U.C.L.A. Davita may have me as early as Mid-May.

This has really made me even more aware of the fact the as a patient we really need to fight for ourselves to get things done. So stay tuned to see how this all turns out.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

dialysta

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2006, 05:47:57 PM »

Do you worry about the long range effects of a lactate based dialysate on your liver function? Can you really increase the liver's work load and not see any negative effects?
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2006, 01:30:01 AM »

Do you worry about the long range effects of a lactate based dialysate on your liver function? Can you really increase the liver's work load and not see any negative effects?

There were 4 patients who were in the initial study who just crossed the 2 year mark last December and are doing great. Lactate is also used in PD solution. If this is a concern of yours, talk to your MD or one of the NxStage RNs can talk to your clinicians to dispel any concerns. If it were an issue, the FDA would not have approved it. So no I do not worry.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Naggy6

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2006, 11:00:56 AM »

The nurse at my center just asked me about nxstage. This was the first I heard of it but I'm glad I did. I told them I would like very much to try nxstage, I already put in my own needles so that will not be a problem for me.

The thing I don't under stand is any place I have heard any one talk about home dialysis is why is it 6 days a week not 7.

I'm sure if you like you could probably do it 7 days I just didn't know if there was a reason for only 6 days.

I also some times wonder what effect getting stuck every day will have on my fistula.  :-\

Isn't it nice to go where every body knows your name.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2006, 09:22:18 AM »

At my home I will have a nice recliner with heat and massage, my TV with DVD player and digital cable with all the cable movie channels, A nice window to look out of, a tray that will hold my Laptop computer with wireless internet connection, Stereo/Radio, All my books available to me, a home phone instead of having to use a cell phone in center getting bad reception, the room temperature just right- Epoman

Can I come and live with you, please?  Pretty please?

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2006, 04:27:52 PM »

Well time for yet another update. Well here it is April and I am still fighting with Kaiser to let me go to the center I want to which now informs me they will do 90% of the training in my own home.  :o I would just need to go one week to the center then after that they would come to my home to finish training me. Kaiser refuses to let me go. They are insisting that I go to their center for NxStage training even though they know it's an inconvenience for me and my wife. Plus today I got word that they may not even give me a referral to UCLA Davita to get the training since they want me to go to the Kaiser clinic. Even though I already go to a "Davita" center they may not let me transfer.  ::) They are really trying to keep me in their system, not even thinking nor caring about my wants and needs. Also the guy from the center I want to go to tells me he may have to bump me to June instead of May if we can't get this straightened out by the end of next week. I had the chance to change insurance at the end of last year but I didn't think I would be trying to get on NxStage so soon. After this big mess if I don't get in at the center I want, you can bet your ass I will be dropping Kaiser at the end of this year faster than a fat kid eats a cupcake.

We'll see what happens when I go to an appointment with Kaiser next Thursday so they can tell me how long before they can train me. If it's too long hopefully I can use that too my advantage and try to get them to let me go to the center I want (non-Kaiser) that can accommodate me in May. I guess the appointment is to evaluate me for NxStage and to meet me. But it sucks because I have to go all the way down there so they can tell me they have a waiting list. They won't tell me over the phone how long the waiting list is, I will keep you updated.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Naggy6

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2006, 05:03:15 PM »

Epoman

I can't believe they are giving you such a hard time about what center you go to. I mean the cost is probably the same no matter what one you go to.

I hate how the insurance companies seem to be able to run every thing. It drives me crazy  >:( I mean who do they think they are. This our lives they are playing with.

I hope things work out for you before too much time goes by.

I live in MA so I hope the gov. doesn't start messing around with our health care. It's working good right now but he is trying to pass some stupid new law on it.

Naggy6

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2006, 04:39:11 PM »

I'm hoping to get a nxstage soon  :) I can hardly wait I can only imagine that it will feel like being freed.

My only concern is about my fistula. I don't know how sticking it twice a day will affect it.

I tried the button hole but it didn't work out to well for me but I'm giving it another try. I don't think it worked out that well because my fistula was pretty beat up by the time I tried it.

If any one has done or is doing daily dialysis has any input I would love to hear about it. ;) ;)

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2006, 05:28:06 PM »

Well time for another update. I went to my Kaiser appointment and actually I was very impressed with the way they treated me. The doctor I saw was wonderful. She even gave me her direct number.  :o I was shocked. They are going to start my training in about a month maybe a little longer. They are doing everything to accommodate me. I actually would still prefer to go to that other center (non-Kaiser) but I think Kaiser may work out after all. I am going to ask them if I can video tape my training to post here so you all can see how NxStage works. I hope they let me. If not I can make a training video myself when I get home after I am trained. I was very impressed with everyone at that Kaiser center, it was very different than what I am used too at my current Kaiser center.

I will keep updating you all as new progress happens.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2006, 09:50:13 PM »

NxStage first quarter conference call today.

http://biz.yahoo.com/cc/4/66554.html

I found it interesting.  They are predicting patient numbers to go from over 400 currently, to over 1,000 by year end.  (I expect it to be more!)  If I recall correctly, they currently have 94 clinics using NxStage System One machines.

They gave results on three recent studies.  I was most impressed by their emphasis on the better health of home patients compared to in clinic, and also that when patients were given training and the choice between NxStage and 2 competitors -- 70% chose NxStage!!  The cost savings for home dialysis patients was mentioned and should be a selling point for the clinics, for Medicare, and for insurance companies.

The dialysate machine is about as complicated to hook up to a household water system as an ice maker and is made to look like a piece of furnature and can be used as a "stand" for the dialysis machine, System One.  Sounds great!!  Especially since it will replace for most patients, most of the time, the bags which are currently coming from Mexico.

The patient backlog was discussed and their take is that the clinics are not that interested unless they have enough patients wanting NxStage to keep a training team working steady for at least a few months -- if the back log goes to more than a few months, NxStage will step in and help out. :)

They read some feedback letters from patients using the NxStage machines and they were great!!!

At one point there was a question about cost per patient and the answer was about $15,000.  Is wonder, is that the companies cost or the centers cost?

When I get time I want to listen to it again.  In the meantime, did anyone else hear it and have questions or comments, so I'll know what to listen for?

Lorelle

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Gus

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2006, 09:49:40 AM »

Hi Lorelle,

here I am as a NxStage user living proof online :P ...hopefully once I get a nice video camera I will make my home made dialysis movie...
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2006, 05:58:55 PM »

Well last week, the social worker and one of the nurses from Kaiser Sunset came to my house to inspect my home, dialysis area and outlet. The visit went very well, I showed them how really ready I am, I have my area all set up, I got the outlet grounded, and I have a place for supplies. Plus I applied for a ride service to take me to Kaiser everyday for a $1.80 each way. It's a half-hour trip, so that's a steal. They say I am next in line, to start my training. We literally talked for over an hour, the inspection took like 2 minutes top, I spent the rest of the time talking about how ready I am for this. So now I'm than closer than ever.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Gus

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2006, 09:29:58 PM »

Well last week, the social worker and one of the nurses from Kaiser Sunset came to my house to inspect my home, dialysis area and outlet. The visit went very well, I showed them how really ready I am, I have my area all set up, I got the outlet grounded, and I have a place for supplies. Plus I applied for a ride service to take me to Kaiser everyday for a $1.80 each way. It's a half-hour trip, so that's a steal. They say I am next in line, to start my training. We literally talked for over an hour, the inspection took like 2 minutes top, I spent the rest of the time talking about how ready I am for this. So now I'm than closer than ever.

- Epoman

I am impressed! Is this really house or is it an apartment? Either way am glad your gonna train soon...your gonna love it dude! I wonder though why they went and inspect your house?  ??? They didn't inspect mine at all, perhaps change of rules maybe......However, they did come and stayed on the first day at home. They wanna be sure all is okay on first day at home.....

Btw, your not on a wheel chair are you?
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2006, 10:04:17 PM »

- Epoman

I am impressed! Is this really house or is it an apartment? Either way am glad your gonna train soon...your gonna love it dude! I wonder though why they went and inspect your house?  ??? They didn't inspect mine at all, perhaps change of rules maybe......However, they did come and stayed on the first day at home. They wanna be sure all is okay on first day at home.....

Different clinics/insurance has different rules I guess. I live in an apartment but a good size apartment, with a garage. And yes, I am in a wheelchair. Read my bio/intro.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Gus

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2006, 10:47:12 AM »

- Epoman

Different clinics/insurance has different rules I guess. I live in an apartment but a good size apartment, with a garage. And yes, I am in a wheelchair. Read my bio/intro.

- Epoman

Hmmm, you must have some strong hands and arms? Later on show us a pic from your first day at home using NxStage and get us a pic from your training session to! :)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2006, 01:16:39 AM »

Time for another update:

Well I finally got the call I was waiting for. I was told I will start my NxStage training on July 10th. It's a little longer wait than I hoped but at least I will start training. I will keep you all updated.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2006, 02:09:02 PM »

Time for another update:

Well I finally got the call I was waiting for. I was told I will start my NxStage training on July 10th. It's a little longer wait than I hoped but at least I will start training. I will keep you all updated.

- Epoman

Hooray!!! 8)  Hope everything goes very well. ;D

Hubby goes on Wed for results of last two blood draws.  I'll be surprised if Neph does not encourage him to go ahead and get on NxStage waiting list.  My last conversation w/ the social worker indicated that the one week wait had increased substantially.

Lorelle

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
jdat

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2006, 03:25:29 PM »

Nxstage still hasn't replied to my email about distribution in France or anywhere in Europe as a matter of fact  >:(

I talked about Nxstage to my nephrologist and he had no idea what it was.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2006, 03:28:50 PM »

Time for another update:

- Epoman

Hooray!!! 8)  Hope everything goes very well. ;D

Hubby goes on Wed for results of last two blood draws.  I'll be surprised if Neph does not encourage him to go ahead and get on NxStage waiting list.  My last conversation w/ the social worker indicated that the one week wait had increased substantially.

Lorelle

Thank you, yeah I hear in some part of the country the waiting list is growing fast, I've hear up to 6-8 months.

By the way Black have you seen this thread? http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=584.0

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2006, 03:31:42 PM »

Great Epoman.   My friend in Spokane who is a home hemo patient is dialyzing in center until a part comes for her machine.  They told her they may not be able to get it.  I want her to look into NXStage.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »