I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 04:31:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hey everyone, new member from San Diego
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hey everyone, new member from San Diego  (Read 6678 times)
JackimusPrime

« on: July 12, 2007, 09:52:40 AM »

I'd like to start off by saying I'm not currently on dialysis, I'm just a guy with unhealthy kidneys that wants to learn more about what is probably inevitable for me.

I'm 21 and I live in San Diego (going to San Diego State University) and I've recently figured out that my kidneys are not healthy. I went to the doctor and took a few blood tests that have shown that my creatinine levels have been continuously rising beyond the norm. One doctor said I probably have polycystic kidneys but I guess the next step is a sonogram to try to figure out what's going on. After a lot of research on the various kidney diseases I feel that dialysis may be a reality for me in the future and this forum seems to have a hell of a lot of people who I can learn from so maybe the transition wont be too bad.

I've always considered myself a healthy person, I played football in high school and have always been involved in sports. I've always eaten healthy with no drinking/no smoking and remained active so this really struck me hard. I still can't comprehend having an incurable disease and it's driving me nuts, it's all I can think about now! I have a beautiful girlfriend who has no idea about any of this yet (she's visiting family out of the country and i don't want to ruin her trip). She loves me so much and I know it's gonna hurt so damn much to tell her... i'm just feeling depressed about the whole ordeal as this is changing my entire outlook on life. I really wanna know how you guys came to accept it because I really want to skip this whole stage of anxiety/depression and have a positive outlook on everything. I'm not like myself recently, and I feel that when school starts back up (i'm on summer break) I'll have trouble concentrating on my studies and when my girlfriend gets back I wont be able to enjoy myself with her without thinking about this crap.

I guess I do have a couple questions about dialysis (and I will use the search button as well!) to accompany my intro. I don't know too much about dialysis so here are a few (probably very dumb) questions:

1. I love the outdoors and I love exercise/working out. When you're on dialysis are you still able to stay active and focus on keeping the rest of your body healthy?

2. I really want to support my family in the future, even if I'm not well. Is it possible to work full time while on dialysis?

I appreciate it guys, and I look forward to learning a lot from all of you. And to Epoman: this website is the best kidney disease/dialysis website on the entire web, it's the most active and has such lively members. Keep up the good work!!
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 10:02:38 AM »

Hello and  :welcomesign;.

As far as your questions are concerned, I am not a patient but a staff member so I can't help you.  There are however many people here that can answer your questions.  Though from what I have read here it really seems to vary from person to person.

It's not easy being green.
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 10:12:02 AM »

Jack...this is a great place for information on everything from the phases of kidney disease to dialysis, transplant, favorite restaurants, and trips to Las Vegas!

In San Diego UCSD Hillcrest offers a great transplant and kidney patient support group that meets monthly across the street from the hospital.  Just give UCSD transplant a call for the meeting date and more information.

Welcome to the site!
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 10:14:36 AM »

:welcomesign;

this is a good place to land

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 10:57:33 AM »

Welcome to our caring and sharing community.  You have done some thing great for yourself, by coming here even before you start dialysis.  I myself discovered this site just a short time before I started and I was totally prepared for everything that I subsequently faced.
My answers to your questions (although we don't encourage questions in this section):
Of course you can continue to exercise,etc.  In fact, it is encouraged.
You can continue to work.  I am a high school teacher and really, I feel much better now that I am dialysis.
The only problem I have is that we have limited dialysis times and I have to take time off for my dialysis each week. But if you can fit your dialysis in seamlessly, go for it.
My advice is - keep reading and keep posting.

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 11:07:07 AM »

Welcome JackimusPrime, good to have you aboard.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
JackimusPrime

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 12:31:59 PM »

Welcome to our caring and sharing community.  You have done some thing great for yourself, by coming here even before you start dialysis.  I myself discovered this site just a short time before I started and I was totally prepared for everything that I subsequently faced.
My answers to your questions (although we don't encourage questions in this section):
Of course you can continue to exercise,etc.  In fact, it is encouraged.
You can continue to work.  I am a high school teacher and really, I feel much better now that I am dialysis.
The only problem I have is that we have limited dialysis times and I have to take time off for my dialysis each week. But if you can fit your dialysis in seamlessly, go for it.
My advice is - keep reading and keep posting.

Bajanne, Moderator

Wow that's great. Thanks for the response, I'm learning so much already.
kelliOR

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 01:49:51 PM »

Hiya JackimusPrime, and Welcome!

You've found a good  place to find information.  But don't despair.  You are young and healthy at present.  Find out all you can about what is causing your creatinine levels to rise, and get a diagnosis.  Knowledge gives you Power, and eases fear and worry!  Learning HOW to keep yourself well is the first step. 

Kelli     :)

Shoot for the Moon.....Even if you miss, you'll end up among the Stars ........

Denied PKD for years (Boy, was I good at it!)
Dragged kicking and screaming to dialysis (in center hemo)
Transplant from a friend March 24, 2006 at OHSU
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 02:41:36 PM »

:waving; Hello JackimusPrime,
Welcome to IHD! I am sure the news about your kidneys is hard to take, but thankfully you can learn a lot here!
My daughter recently had a transplant at Scripps Green Hospital in La Jolla, they were wonderful to work with.
You can read more about PKD here http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=335.0 - in most cases (but not all) it is hereditary - any family history?
Anyway, use the search feature to find existing threads, and please post any questions you want under the topics you find.
Welcome - and best of luck to you!
Karol

okarol/moderator

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Meinuk

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 02:50:01 PM »

Hi JackimusPrime!

You can add my Welcome to the growing list of members welcoming you!

You are newly diagnosed and terrified.  That is understandable, and we've all been there.  We are all here now to tell you that you'll get through this.  You can read about all of our experiences good and bad in the posts on these boards.  Hundreds of life stories all with something in common.

I have PDK, and I've written about my experiences here on IHD.  There are a lot of us here on the boards, and many with great advice.  Black has written some great stuff about fistulas...  Zach is a diet guru ....  And I can't say enough about our moderators.  Sluff has been everyone's big brother, and Goofynina, well, I just flat out love reading her posts. - There are too many people to mention, you'll know them all when you read their posts!

Depending on what your numbers are, you could have a long time before dialysis.  Also, many people are getting transplanted well before they are about to start dialysis.  Managing your health is an adjustment, but hopefully it won't get the best of you- and we're here for you.  EPOMAN is here in spirit and his posts have to be his voice for us now.  He gave us a solid foundation.  Now you are helping to build on it.

Exercise and working out can really help maintin your health.  If you have PKD, you'll be told to monitor your blood pressure, and to try to maintain a low protein diet.  (your Dr. should have a dietition counsel you.)  

You can work on dialysis.  I do, and so do many others on the boards.  Since you are still in school, you'll have some time to make choices about what kind of work you want to do, and factor your kidney disease into your choices.

You are young, healthy (yes, that is a relative term, but in this peer group, right now, you are one of the healthier ones) and hopefully you have an early diagnosis. Keep yourself well informed, (a good start joining IHD) make sure that you have a nephrologist that you respect and trust, and life will go on.

Best,

Anna

« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 02:58:51 PM by Meinuk » Logged

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 02:53:49 PM »

Welcome JackimusPrime,

Like you I am pre-dialysis as well, but there is lots of helpful information available here. You will get an education by reading through this site. It doesn't matter what the topic is, you will find honesty in every post. We have become one large family, that really cares about one another.

Enjoy your time spent here at ihatedialysis.com, we will see you in the forums.

Sluff/ Admin

JackimusPrime

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 03:09:42 PM »

Wow you guys are unbelievably great. I don't know too much about what I have, the doctors just keep giving me "probably this probably that" with no solid diagnosis yet. This waiting game is killing me and I can't handle this very well. I'm very tired but can't lay down because I'm too anxious, it's weird. I end up going to a jacuzzi at my buddy's complex daily and just trying to ease my nerves there. I have a couple more blood tests/sonogram and finally a meeting with a nephrologist to discuss everything next week. I'll update you guys when I find out next week. I'm very envious that you guys are so strong you are all my inspiration.

I've been spending a lot of time searching through the board and I found a lot of great information relating to: exercise, diets, the mechanics of the dialysis machines and the different types of dialysis, spousal relations, and personal stories in the introductions that really give me inspiration. I probably read every introduction up to page 5.

Thanks again, and Epoman and his family are in my prayers.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 04:42:54 PM »

You will probably need a kidney biopsy before they can give you a solid answer, until then the only answer you will get is that your kidneys are deteriorating. Good luck and post often.

www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/Kidney-Biopsy

Razman

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 05:02:55 PM »

Its great that you have found this site.   We look forward to hearing from you on a regular basis. I also am not on dialysis yet and my condition started  24 years ago so it could be a long time before you start.  It is important to watch your diet and take medication to keep your blood pressure down and do exercise on a regular basis.  I run 3 miles  3 times a week and as others have said you can still work and live a full life.  Please stay in touch and let us know how things work out.
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 05:10:28 PM »

hey jack :welcomesign; i have pkd also and so do both my sons 21 and 23, so far they are going ok, i have only been on dialysis since April, there are  a few threads on pkd here, anyway welcome and keep us posted.

cheers   charee :ausflag;

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 05:49:32 PM »

Hey Man, good to have you aboard. I am on hemodialysis M-W-F go to work 5 days a week so you can do it too. Some days it kicks your ass and some are just somewhat normal.....Boxman55

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 06:44:34 PM »

Welcome to the IHD Family.
You'll find lots of answers here, lots of support and many friends.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Laurie

May 13, 2008

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 07:36:52 PM »

:welcomesign; Glad you found this site. I hope you find all the information you need. I am a little older than you, I'm 27. My KF started when I was 21. I was on dialysis for about 9 months and I worked full time. It was not easy. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you can go for many years without having to start dialysis.

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 01:26:37 AM »

Welcome to the site.  You are well on your way to finding some answers here to your questions.

First, yes, you can work. I am a junior high school, middle school teacher and still work after eight and a half years of hemodialysis.
Second, if you keep yourself as healthy as possible you can do most anything while on dialysis.

Welcome and good luck!

kitkatz,moderator
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 01:55:49 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 07:56:08 AM »

Welcome, Jack!

As everyone else has said, yes, it is possible to work full-time while on dialysis. Educate yourself about the different types that are available and remember that things change quickly...in the five years since my last transplant, they have started training patients to do hemodialysis at home, who knows what will be added by the time you're ready to start?

Also, keeping yourself informed and aware of your condition can do a lot to ease the anxiety and depression you're dealing with. Not to worry, all that's normal when facing such a potentially life-changing diagnosis. Remember, we're here to vent to if you need it!

KT

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 09:51:16 AM »

Hey Jack, Welcome to IHD. I was 21 also when i found out my kidneys were failing so i totally understand how you might be feeling.

To answer your question about doing exercise and keeping active, i have been on dialysis for 3 and a bit years and i still continue to go to the gym 5 days a week and keep myself fit and healthy.

Hope things get better for you.

Welcome.

Amanda
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 03:57:02 PM »

Welcome Jack--this is a great place for information and support.  There are a great deal of caring people here ready to help you. Try not to look too far ahead. Get informed and educated, but live today and enjoy where you are. Your girlfriend will be worried for you, but she loves you and will be a good support for you.  We are here - and we are glad you found us.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 04:42:57 PM »

Years ago I had friends in Del Mar and used to visit them often ... running on the trails behind Torrie Pines HS (now over developed with houses).  And going to The Salk Institute for a few trips off the cliffs.

I started hemodialysis just before my 24th birthday ... and I'm still going strong.  Whenever dialysis begins for you, manage the renal diet well, keep working out (yes, with weights) and continue with your career, if you can.  It all counts.

My life as a television documentary producer-director began after I started hemodialysis.
A good attitude always helps ... and some luck.

Regards,
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2007, 08:54:23 AM »

Hey Jack,

you sound like a positive guy and that is the one most important thing about how you go about accepting your predicament.

You can carry on as normal and not let this beat you as long as you have the right frame of mind.  I am 35 and started hemo last year.  I am still working and fit my dialysis round my work schedule.

Your girl likes you for who you are so don't let your kidney failure get in the way of that.  Embrace it together. 

Any questions you may have then feel free to ask and don't be afraid to PM anyone if you want to ask personal stuff.

Remember you have joined a site with wide and varied experiences and opinions.  This illness affects us all in different ways.

Good luck buddy and remember we are here for you.

Matty.

SCOTLAND NO.1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »

:welcomesign;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »