I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:25:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Itchiness, Restlessness and Agitated
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Itchiness, Restlessness and Agitated  (Read 4380 times)
TynyOne

This is how I feel on Friday nites during dialysis

« on: July 12, 2007, 06:49:51 AM »

I was told that itchiness, restlessness and agitation sometimes will happen from being on dialysis by one of the nurses.  I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this from time to time and if so, why do you do about it?  The nurse also told me "that Benadryl would become my friend"; however, I cannot take that during the day as it makes me sleepy.  Also, she did say warm baths helps soothes those feelings too.   Anyone have any experience with this they can share with me?   Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some feedback on this and what they do to relieve themselves of these feelings.  Have a happy little evening!   

Tammy
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 07:21:09 AM »

Are you having these symptoms?  Sometimes itchiness shows up due to dry skin and due to too much phosphorous leaching out of the skin.  Restlessness comes from sitting in a chair for four hours and not moving.  Yes, these are things that may happpen, however if you take care of yourself you can mitigate the effects.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 01:56:37 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 07:53:06 AM »

The itchiness stems from raised phosphatase levels in  the blood which unfortunately dialysis doesn't control. Are you taking calcium tablets? If so maybe you will need to take more. These bind to phosphate in the food in your stomach and the phosphate then passes into your bowels and so does not enter your bloodstream. I get very restless if I am sat down for a long period particulary in my legs. It's at it's worst when I've been in bed for about half an hour at havn't managed to get to sleep. My doctor has prescribed Zopiclone which is a mild sleeping tablet which most nights solves the problem. Also it doesn't leave a hangover effect the next morning.

Ken
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 08:02:41 AM »

I take Renagel at meals to cut down the Phoshorus thus cuts down the itching also Tums after eating in combination or by themselves helps. Talk to your Neph............Boxman55

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 11:10:24 AM »

What did I tell ya TynyOne,

I'm glad you are getting the responses you hoped for. There is almost nothing you can go through that one of our members wouldn't have an answer.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 01:05:35 PM »

Itchiness is like everyone says , it does come and go, though! As for the others i think sometimes you just feel like that for no reason , bored , not sleeping , routine day in day out , its makes you restless. Also i know i am like that when i havent had a decent sleep ! Try and find something to distract you . I spend ages in the games arcade  (too long) because while i am doing that i am not thinking about other things ..or doing any housework !  ;D

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
TynyOne

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 08:10:16 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the replies to my posts and I am going to attempt to answer some of your questions.   First of all, I do take renal gel as well as Phoslo AND sodium bicarb.  However, I am one of the lucky ones (don't shoot me for this) but I am only on the machine for 2 hours.   I know that is not fair to other members and when I say this, I say this with all sincerity, my heart goes out to those who are on the machine 4 or more hours because I do good to sit in that chair for only 2 hours so my heart goes out to others, it really and truly does.  The reason I am only on the machine is because I am not as big as "average size people".  However, but like I said, the nurses at the doctor's office advised me to take Benadryl but I can only take that at nite as it makes me drowsy and I could not work and take that too.  Again, thanks to everyone for your replies and YES, you were right, Sluff, I would begin to get responses.    ;)    :clap;   Have a happy little rest of the evening, everyone in my IHD "family".  So glad yall are here!
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 09:52:37 PM »

Hi TynyOne,

What is your phosphorus level?
What is you calcium level?

Thanks.
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 12:12:05 AM »

Is the restlessness just in your legs? Do you find you can't keep your feet still? Is it only whilst on dialysis, or is it all the time?

I am a tx patient, and have never had dialysis, but I did suffer badly with itching skin and restless legs from my kidney failure. The restless legs, my nephrologist told me, were from a build up of uric acid, caused by the kidney failure. It has completely disappeared since my transplant. I don't have itching skin any more either, but when I did it, it was caused by my high phosphate levels. I was taking binders, but never took them often enough. I kept forgetting, which is no excuse.  :-[
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »

Restlessness can be a symptom of the damage done to the nervous system by the build up of toxins which dialysis never fully clears.  Although being itchy can often be caused by elevated phosphorus levels, 25% of all cases of excess itching in dialysis patients have no known cause.  For many years, for example, I was extremely itchy, even though my phosphorus levels were completely normal.  The most effective home remedy for itching, I found, was to combine an anti-itching powder with an anti-itching cream and rub it into the skin.  Only the combination of the two seemed to work.
TynyOne

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 08:22:33 PM »

Hi TynyOne,

What is your phosphorus level?
What is you calcium level?

Thanks.
 8)

I have no idea what my phosphorus level or my calcium level is.  I am still so new to this.  Is that something I can find out from dietitian?    However, I just thought of something...........wonder if this maybe a factor?   I sometimes take 2 of my Phoslo binders at a time if I have missed a dose during the day, do yall think that might be a factor?   Also, someone asked where is the itching, whether it was in my legs or not, no, it is not in my legs, the day it was real bad, it was along my sides and at times it felt like all over, sometimes my head would itch.  At real bad times, it feels like my whole insides are itching, like my skin's insides are coming out of my skin.  Like I said, the nurses just told me that was part of dialysis and that "Benadryl would just become my friend".   Maybe I should just try and take only 2 Phoslo binders at a time before bed...........I don't know really.  Another thing, they are trying to figure out is why my blood pressure goes extremely low while i am on the machine.  It seems that when I recline back and sit back up, it drops and I get real nausea, feel real flushed, and begin to dry heave.  They immediately squeeze the Saline bag and I am better within minutes.  It is aggravating that I can't recline back because I sometimes like to go to sleep to pass the time away.  Then, I tried to just lean over on the arm of the chair and again, when I raise up, the same things happen, my BP drops and all the feelings I listed above, hit me again, isn't that odd?  The head nurse who happened to work last nite (i love her) said she was going to call my doctor's office Monday, about increasing my dry weight because she feels like my body just cannot take the amount of fluid they are trying to take off.  I am just hoping that will work.  Cross your fingers for me and hope they find a solution to it.  Thanks to everyone responses and ALWAYS feel free to give me your experiences/opinion.

Tammy from Alabameeeee
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 08:35:37 PM »

I can't say without knowing how much they are taking off on the machine.. and so on and so forth... but it sounds like they are trying to take too much fluids off.. which it sounds like they already suspect and will fix by calling your Dr Monday.

As for the itching... I would definitely call and find out what your phos levels are. Every dose of Benedryl makes you sleepy? I'm asking because maybe you could try taking a very small dose to help with the itching without getting sleepy... however, if your itching is because high phosphorus levels, benedryl won't really help all that much, just a little. I once let my phos levels get up to 13 or 14 and I felt like  wanted to itch my skin right off... they gave me so much IV benedryl at dialysis I couldn't even walk to my moms car after... bad bad. LOl

Good luck :)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 10:22:22 PM »

Your doctor/nephrologist should be able to tell you what your phosphate and calcium levels are, from your routine blood tests.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 05:55:20 AM »

my opinion, because of your size you need to fix your dry weight if you are only running 2 hours it sounds like they are trying to take to much off. Also I was told that the phos pills(renagel etc.) should be taken at time of eating(I take two renagel) whenever that is, taking them at nite before bed unless you eat right then won't help much....again my opinion talk to your Nepth...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 08:30:57 AM »

Maybe I should just try and take only 2 Phoslo binders at a time before bed...........

if you're not taking the phoslo with meals, my guess is is your phos levels is too high.  your doctor should give you your lab results, but then so should the dietitian. you can ask the nurse for a copy, but the dietitian's printout is user friendly. however once you know what the level ranges are supposed to be the copy the nurse runs will give you more results. it's the complete results list the Dr gets. the dietitian should be giving you results monthly

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 08:46:19 AM »

This is an excellent thread that really explains how binders work complete with a great graphic

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=2513.msg35202#msg35202

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
TynyOne

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 10:59:16 AM »

Thank You all so very much for all your great replies!   It sounds like I need to talk to my kidney doctor AND dietitan but they do lab results once a month, however, it has been a while since I have seen the dietitian because I think she has been on vacation or she leaves (if I am late) before I get there.  I just had a thought...........I think I will call the office right now and see if she is in, rather than to keep missing her.  I am sure she can tell me over the phone.  Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond to me.  You guys are great!   Have a happy little day!

Tammy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »