I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:31:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  swallowing pills
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: swallowing pills  (Read 7731 times)
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« on: June 21, 2007, 03:57:51 PM »

I have never been good at swallowing pills.  Over the years I have gotten better, but still gag on vitamins.  They are WAY to big for me.  Imagine my shock when my doctor put me on potassium pills (mine is low!) and they were huge.  I'm not talking horse pills here.... I'm talking elephant pills!  I broke it in half and still threw up trying to take it..... so doc calls in something else.... it is like an Alka Seltzer, it fizzzzzzes and dissolves in water, then you drink it.... tastes nasty... you say... just hold your nose and guzzle it... no can do... gotta sip it over a 5 to 15 minute period... GROSS... but do-able.  But this got me to thinking.... while on dialysis do you have to take honker pills????  What about after transplant, what size are the pills.....???!!!???!??!?!  This has me pretty nervous :banghead;

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 04:30:01 PM »

Hi Donnia,

Have taken plenty of gaggers over the years !

With the new drug prescribed that fizzes, why dont you ad cordial or i think you guys call it cool aid to the water , hopefully will mask the taste.

Hope this helps.

Tamara xxx ooo  :cuddle;

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 04:51:41 PM »

When I was a kid, I couldn't swallow pills, either.  My mother bought me a bag of M&M's and told me to practice swallowing them whole.  It works - I've used the trick on a few others I know who had trouble with pills as well.  You can also try taking them with a spoonful of applesauce - that helps them go down fast.

None of the meds I'm for dialysis is exceptionally large.  Nephcaps and Sensipar are pretty small.  Renegels and Phoslo aren't tiny, but not too bad.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 04:55:20 PM »

All of my pills are "average" size except my Renagel. I could effectively use those things as full-size slingshot ammo. I have to chug half an 8oz cup of water just to get those monsters down.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
keefer51

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 05:33:15 PM »

I have had problems swallowing the big pill. Sometimes i put bread over it and try it that way. When i was 11 and got out of the hospital i was told to drink craneberry juice 3 times a day. I used to cry and throw it up all the time. My father finally figured out that grapefruit juice cut the taste. When i had my transplant in 92 i was given syclosporin which was in a gel cap there were different dosages so the larger one were a bit hard but i got used to it. The small little prednisone was the worst. If that got stuck in your throat it tasted like crap. I think the meds have changed for a transplant.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Chicken Little

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 05:43:35 PM »

Caltrate are the only ones that I have trouble with.   Those edges just get stuck on the roof of my mouth.   :P
Laurie

May 13, 2008

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 05:56:43 PM »

I have the same problem. I'm also on potassium pills. I take 20 MEQ twice a day. The last time my Doctor wrote the prescription, he messed up and wrote it for 10 MEQ, so now I take two of those twice a day. They are alot smaller and easier to get down. Maybe you could ask him about that?

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 08:55:53 PM »

I don't have a problem taking the larger pills.. I just swallow them down with a gulp of water. I usually take 4 ALU-TAB at a go, and they are pretty big... perhaps a little larger than Caltrate. The thing I hated about Caltrate (which I am now off, thank god!) is that they didn't just want me to swallow them (I had no problem with that) but having to crush them in my mouth with the food for the best effect. Oh My God. That chalky disgusting taste just ruined whatever else I was eating and usually stayed in my mouth for ages afterwards... yuck!

So glad I am off those!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 09:19:20 PM »

I never had any trouble swallowing pills. I usually swallow a handful at a time.. I just get out my morning meds and shove them all in my mouth and gulp of water and there down. I been taking pills since a kid, so I have had practice, lol.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 04:19:14 AM »

I never had any trouble swallowing pills. I usually swallow a handful at a time.. I just get out my morning meds and shove them all in my mouth and gulp of water and there down. I been taking pills since a kid, so I have had practice, lol.

Your talented.   :lol;  whoops! did I type that out loud?
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 11:15:45 AM »

:lol;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
jasperkat

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 11:17:30 AM »

My hubby uses applesauce.  Works for him but not for me!
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 11:33:06 AM »

Often times I'll build up some saliva and that will be enough to get them down.  If not a little water will do it.
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 03:07:51 PM »

Rob has a hard time swallowing pills also.  One of his dialysis nurses gave him this trick.  When you put the pills and water in your mouth, tip your head down so that they are floating and then swallow.  I tried this and it works great!  I have these huge vitamin pills and I use that technique for those.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 05:00:39 PM »

Hubby does the same as Angela515 puts all he has to take in his hand and swalows them all the one time. When he was on renagel he would swallow the 3 of them at once.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 05:21:56 PM »

Like Angela and Del's hubby I'm also talented!  ;D I usually swallow all 5 morning tablets in one big Gulp... !
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 07:45:57 AM »

I'm gonna revive this thread, since I have a question related to swallowing. As you know, I was sick with MSSA
4 weeks ago, and am STILL getting over it. BUT!! I AM back to work!!

My problem. I cannot swallow my pills comfortably any more. Forget the vitamin pill (Folbee)!!
I used to have no trouble popping them in my mouth, gulp of water, and done.

Now, I take 1-2 (have 5 to take), BIG gup of water, then wait a few minutes then take the others.

For some reason my gag reflex is highly sensitized (threw up a lot while sick). Is there any way to
desensitize it?

Heck, I can't even eat much any more. Certain foods when put in my mouth will just cause the
gag reflex to activate.

What does my nurse say?  It's part of the healing process. Oh please!!! I want a definite answer, darn it!!!
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 10:36:54 AM »

The only suggestion i have is one that my gran used on me when i was little! If the tablet is NOT a capsule , then crush it between two spoons carefully and mix a little jam in with it , then just swallow the (teaspoon) of jam with the crushed tablet in it , you may get a bit of a bitter taste from the tablet but it doesnt make you gag!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 10:51:18 AM »

mmm!! jam!!!! Heck, as long as I don't gag. If I don't gag, I dont throw up. I just hate thiis. 

I'm gonna try that. They're all solids, so I should be able to crush them, and try that trick!
Thanks, Kickstart!
oswald

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 11:07:12 AM »

desensitize the swallowing reflex?    hmmmmmm  i don't know.  lets see, maybe you can.........no, i just can't say    >:D   

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
oswald

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 11:10:40 AM »

dear lord please forgive me and bless everyone.  amen

ESRD 11/95
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 11:20:34 AM »

LOL!!! I recognize that Oswald!!!! I'm a Redneck fan myself!!!!  Hey. Isn't there a spray out there?
Seriously, for something like this? Heck. What's the spray for sore throats? Wonder if that would
work.
oswald

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 11:22:39 AM »

chloroseptic spray.  comes in that horrible cherry flavor.  try that it might work.

ESRD 11/95
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 11:27:56 AM »

yeah!!!  as long as it works, I don't care about the taste. I am getting so desperate,
it's EVERY DAY.  Enough is enough, darn it!!
oswald

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 12:01:52 PM »

good luck.    ;D

ESRD 11/95
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »