I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 11:18:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Itching, Scratch Scratch
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Itching, Scratch Scratch  (Read 7782 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: March 16, 2006, 09:48:46 PM »

Let's try this again. Yahoo kicked me off as I was posting here.

I am going to go nuts if the itchy skin does not stop.  It feels like my skin is on fire with itchiness.  The doc says I am allergic to something at the dialysis center.  Duh!  Figure it out.  What could it be?  Maybe dialysis itself! 
My phophorous is high, but this itch is on dialysis days is different than the usual itchiness. 
I use moisturizers on my skin and gentle detergents in my wash on clothes. 
Some nights I can't stand to even sleep.
Benadryl and two tylenol are becoming my best friends at night to sleep.  I dont like it, but I have to teach in the morning and go to work. I cannot be up all night reading on the computer.
I have little red bumpies all over my back now.  You can connect the dots my hubby says.

So all of you experienced and nonexperienced people put your heads together and help me before I go complete apeshit!

Katherine
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:27:00 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 06:57:02 PM »

Can you take Benadryl all day long, not just at night?  I know that won't "fix" the problem, but maybe make it manageable until you find out what's affecting you.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 08:32:05 AM »

Two benadryl and a classroom full of 6th graders is not a good match for me.  Falling asleep during the day does not work for my boss either. LOL I just itch and scratch what I can.  What really bugs is the night time itchies and no sleep.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 01:22:38 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 04:53:16 PM »

LOL I understand completely.  You might try a half dose to see if it helps without making you drowsy.  I know that some people take even a little bit and crash right away though.

Joe died July 18, 2007
geoffcamp

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 05:50:26 PM »

Katherine,

I have the same problem for a couple of years now, itchy and red bumps.  The only thing that helps me is showering with a moisturizer body was and then right before I get out I rub myself down with baby oil.  it seems to help, but I still itch occasionally and I get the red bumps.  I have been told by some when your dry weight is too low it sucks all the moisture out of you skin and this happens, we have tried increasing my dry weight nd it helped a little but not much.  Hope this gives you some ideas.

Geoff

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 08:57:15 PM »

Thanks for the baby oil idea.  I use Johnson's body wash moisturizing stuff.  I was using oil of Olay moisturizing body lotion, then I realized it burned a little when I applied it. Uh oh.  So I went back to Johnson's this morning. Wow what a difference.   I feel better already.  Also changed shampoos to see if it would help.  I will see what happens Monday at dialysis.  Feel like I am dependent on Bendaryl.  Can you get addicted to it?  So here we go off to adventure land.
Katherine
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 01:23:20 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 05:26:01 PM »

There is something called AVEENO which is supposed to be very good for itchy scratchy skin.  There is one with a base of oats.  A colleague had chicken pox and another one told him about it, and he swears by it now.  Try it.
I will get the teacher to give me the exact name and even say what the product is.  I am not sure if it is a wash or a cream or if it comes as both.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 05:47:52 PM »

Aveeno is great!  They have body wash and lotion, several different varieties for different itchiness levels I guess, and I think they might have a powder too.

Joe died July 18, 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 11:08:41 PM »

Allergic to Aveeno. It makes my skin crawl and burn.  Ouchie.  It probably works fine for other people, but wow I itched worse than ever.  I have tried just about everything on the market now.
Johnson's seems to work best, so far...

You should see me trying to buy shampoo. Allergic to that...that...that...  Sensitivities is what the dermatologist called it several years ago.  "Just be careful what you use."   And  detergents...there's another story.

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 12:48:13 AM »

You all will be happy to know that after the six day hospital stay and changes in soap and stuff in the shower I am not itching as badly as I was.  The phosphorous is down in the sixes.  I am taking around 12 pills in the morning now.  Just lay them out and swallow then down.  Might have a lot to do with the itchies.  It is nice not to have the back itching all the time.

We shall see if this lasts.

lifenotonthelist.com

susie q

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 03:44:03 PM »

Ususally the only time I am really itchy is when my phos is too high... other than the odd itch in inconvenient spots.. like the middle of my back   ::) :o ;D
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 06:03:34 PM »

Right where you can't reach on the back.  GRRRRRR!  I just can't reach it and it itches.  Interesting that it is that place.  Try to put your arms as far up your back as possible and above it or below it will itch!

Katherine
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:09:23 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 10:21:29 PM »

The itching is slowly coming back.  It is going to drive me mad!  In the hospital they got rid of the itchiness. Must have been the diet. I have been drinking diet soda again and that is probably triggering it again.  I can't help it. The one soda a day I allow myself is a treat!  Have to pay the piper I guess.  I am going to drink clear sodas from now on and iced tea.  They probably have something awful in them, too. Oh well.
Grumble, grumble, scratch scratch. I am using the  big stick as a scratching stick now.

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 10:57:33 AM »

I've been itching for a week.  It started in the hospital.  I think it was the pain drugs.  The good and bad are always together.  I didn't go in to work today.  I was finally able to sleep this morning and I wasn't going to screw it up. ;D

kevno

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 12:38:41 PM »

kitkatz my friend ;D

Are you sure its not fleas ::) ;D >:D >:D

Right better get out of the way of that big stick :'(

only joking ;)

When I itch I take chlorphenamine , it seem to help me a lot with the itching.

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 04:10:28 PM »

FLEAS???? 
Kevno, you old dog! You would mention fleas!

Maybe I am just allergic to sixth graders after so many years with them!

lifenotonthelist.com

aahsheitt

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 10:12:13 PM »

well i started a very strict diet to get my phosphorous lower ..when it was at 10.6 i got the itchies really bad and the red bumps too but after i started my diet the bumps and itchies went totally away my phosphorous is at 5.1 now and i feel tons better not only the itching but the bone pain and weak sore muscles
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 08:43:42 PM »

So Ahhhsh  what do you eat?  Brown biscuits and water?  No, seriously, what do you eat most days.  I am looking for new foods to try and a diet that might work

lifenotonthelist.com

aahsheitt

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 11:00:06 AM »

well if you want i can send you my weekly meal plan and when you get it all you do is mix and match after the first week and the nice thing about it is its not very limiting the portions are just a little smaller
Tracy Lynn

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 11:08:15 AM »

I found that even after I strictly limited my phosphorous intake, I am still way more sensitive than I was before dialysis. I have had to switch my soaps, detergents and stop using fabric softeners, because they made me itch so badly in some really awful places. :o

Instead of the fabric softener, I use dryer balls. You can also use tennis balls, they make your clothes soft, cut your drying time, but no allergic reactions. :)

Filled with hate, like a bitter, raging Twinkie
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 04:46:55 PM »

aaash, please send your menu by email. I would like to see it.  Thanks.

lifenotonthelist.com

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »