I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 08:22:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant and drinking
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant and drinking  (Read 2967 times)
rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« on: June 11, 2007, 07:25:50 PM »

I have had a lot of friends ask me and I do not know the answer, but someone who has had a transplant or know, can someone who has had a transplant drink alcohol taking all the post-transplant mediciations?

Moved to appropriate section -Transplant Stories -  Bajanne, Moderator
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 06:12:51 AM by bajanne2000 » Logged

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
keefer51

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 07:38:52 PM »

Rimbo74, I did without any complications. Not allot but i would have a beer or three. Or sometimes a mixed drink.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Bette

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 08:07:33 AM »

I was able to drink after my transplant with no problems.  I am not a big drinker though, only a glass of wine or two every couple of weeks.
Fighter

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 08:58:46 AM »

Rimbo, you can drink alcohol after your transplant. The anti-rejection drugs don't react with alcohol like antibiotics do. But they will tell you to drink with moderation to preserve your liver, watch your cholesterol, etc, as is the case for everybody else but even more so for us.
George Jung

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 09:19:47 AM »

Aside from the fluid gains is it much different than having a drink while on dialysis (I don't mean on the machine itself)?
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 01:26:42 PM »

The really interesting drinking problem with respect to transplant recipients, which is still a matter of controversy in the medical community, is whether those with a kidney transplant should drink more, less, or the same amount of fluids per day as a normal person.  Some argue that they should drink more, since they have only one kidney, somewhat damaged by the transplant procedure and chronic allograft nephropathy, to do the work of two, and extra fluid should help in this process.  But other nephrologists argue that they should not drink more than normal, because one of the theories of why transplanted kieneys fail much sooner than normal kidneys is that they are under too much stress because of having to handle all of the body's fluid by themselves in a less than perfect condition, a problem know as 'hyperfiltration.'  I discussed all the latest data and the current state of the debate with my transplant follow-up team and their recommendation was that I drink just as much as necessary so as not to be thirsty, but not make any effort to drink more than that, which used to be the recommendation to patients just a few years ago.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 04:00:35 PM »

And here I thought we were talking about alcohol consumption, not fluid intake??

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 07:25:04 PM »

Haha!  Thanks for all the responses.  I drink now maybe once a week but I can get out of hand on the consumption.  I started off drinking 1 in one night, then 2, then well you know how it goes.  Everybody was asking me if I would be able to go out for drinks and stuff after the transplant and I had no clue.  Thanks for all the responses!

Its also good to know about the fluid intake as well.   :2thumbsup;

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »