I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 03:25:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  My story
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My story  (Read 3519 times)
Peter

« on: June 08, 2007, 02:58:45 PM »

I've had 3 transplants. The first was at age 8 from a cadaver. I was very lucky, but this way way back in the late 80's, so the drugs weren't up to par, and I lost it after 4 years to acute rejection. I had the second, also from a cadaver almost immediately, and it lasted me 8 years, but I lost it to chronic rejection. This last one I had for 5 years and it was donated by my Mom. I also lost it to chronic rejection. (I also hate rejection. Not just dialysis.)
LightLizard

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 03:15:44 PM »

That's a rough road you've been on bro. Between the lines I read that you've managed, somehow, to stay sane and relatively happy through it all. How do you do it?

love

~LL~
Peter

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 03:26:04 PM »

As they say in Babylon 5, "Faith Manages." But really, I dunno. I'm really frustrated, and I'm considering stopping dialysis, even though I just started last week.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 03:45:26 PM »

As they say in Babylon 5, "Faith Manages." But really, I dunno. I'm really frustrated, and I'm considering stopping dialysis, even though I just started last week.

Peter, i know it is tough, please hang in there, we all know how rough it is, Lord do we  :P  We are here for you  :grouphug;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
LightLizard

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 03:53:52 PM »

Really man, give it some time. It takes some getting used to, that's for sure, but as far as we know, it beats the alternative!
I did emergency hemo for the first few months. Then, went on to the double bags for a bit. Now, I do the night-time cycler. I expect that I will be forced on to hemo again, some time in the future.
But, for now, even though I get some pain from the treatment, I am grateful for the technology, really.
It's kidney disease that I hate. Dialysis is a modern miracle, as far as I'm concerned.
I have no desire for a transplant.
I think the best hope for all of us is in stem cell research.
I won't hold my breath, though.

love

~LL~
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 06:53:59 PM »

Hi Peter,
It sounds like you've been through a lot and it's no wonder you're frustrated. Beginning dialysis again must seem like hell, but hopefully you'll be feeling stableized over the next few weeks. Keep the faith and stick around.  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Peter

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 08:45:54 PM »

Hi Peter,
It sounds like you've been through a lot and it's no wonder you're frustrated. Beginning dialysis again must seem like hell, but hopefully you'll be feeling stableized over the next few weeks. Keep the faith and stick around.  :cuddle;

I'm already stable, that's the funny part. I'm already being shipped off to a dialysis unit for well young people, which is good. I was called up today and offered a spot at a private clinic here in the city about 10 mins from where I live (by car.) It's appraently run really well and it's nice. It's run by a private company, I believe they're a rival to Baxter. Starts with an F.

I refuse to get a fistula, so I'm doing dialysis through a perm cath.
anja

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 10:06:01 PM »

Peter, my dad also refuses another type of access and has used a perm. cath. for over 6 years.  Had to have it changed from side to side, but it is still working and he is 89.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 02:38:57 PM »

Another Babylon 5 fan? Terrific!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »