I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:13:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medical Breakthroughs
| | |-+  Stem cells/growing a new kidney
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stem cells/growing a new kidney  (Read 48279 times)
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2007, 09:15:16 AM »

Angela, while I see your point, I'm more willing to accept it on an "over many generations" level than when it's talking about me as an individual. Personally, when I hear they're able to grow a kidney out of my own cells (or whatever cells they have), I'll be the first in line! A transplant without the immunosuppressants and no chance of rejection, woo-hoo! Count me in!! :2thumbsup;

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2007, 09:50:05 AM »

KTO930---I am right behind you in that line!   :thumbup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
LightLizard

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2007, 10:59:19 AM »

recent research in the states and japan have revealed a new method of obtaining stem cells that does not endanger a living fetus, but is derived and developed from human skin.
this frees up the funding for further research in the countries that previously resisted the forward movement of stem cell research due to the moral issues that embyonic stem cell research has been burdened with.

more cause for hope.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/11/20/stem.cells.skin/index.html

love

~LL~
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 11:05:19 AM by LightLizard » Logged
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2007, 08:30:56 PM »

recent research in the states and japan have revealed a new method of obtaining stem cells that does not endanger a living fetus, but is derived and developed from human skin.

I always knew those pimples were good for something!
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2007, 08:39:57 PM »

Wonder if that is what I got a glimpse of on the news last night before getting interrupted.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2007, 09:13:36 PM »

See story here http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5926.0

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2008, 09:32:35 AM »

Most estimates I have seen about when stem cell therapy will become an everyday clinical reality in the treatment of disease say we will have to wait another 50 years or so.  Keep in mind that medicine advances at such a glacially slow pace, that even once a new therapy has become obvious and easy in the view of anyone with ordinary common sense, it will take medical science at least 20 years to develop it to the final standard of 'safety and effectiveness' for the FDA to approve its use in patients.

Take the example of benfotiamine, a harmless pill derived from thiamine, which is so safe that it does not even require a prescription.  It has been available over-the-counter in Japan and Europe since 1959, and was discovered in 2003 to prevent the development of diabetic complications, which are among the most devastating causes of morbidity and mortality in the developed world today.  Well, here we are, five years later, and the drug is still not available for treating diabetics in the US, and most diabetologists and endocrinologists in the US have never even heard of it!

As for the use of human embryonic stem cells being immoral, I think that rests on a mistake about how our culture values potential human life.  Millions of fertilized ova and primordia are lost every year in the US from the spontaneous detachment of cells from the lining of the uterus, and yet this is not regarded as the major cause of death in America, as it would be if we really thought of those things as living people.  We don't hold funerals for those detached ova, we don't go into mourning as they pour down the toilet, drowning horribly, and not a penny of medical research funds is devoted to reducing the problem.  In short, we simply do not consider acorns to be oak trees.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2008, 09:05:45 PM »

As for the use of human embryonic stem cells being immoral, I think that rests on a mistake about how our culture values potential human life.  Millions of fertilized ova and primordia are lost every year in the US from the spontaneous detachment of cells from the lining of the uterus, and yet this is not regarded as the major cause of death in America, as it would be if we really thought of those things as living people.  We don't hold funerals for those detached ova, we don't go into mourning as they pour down the toilet, drowning horribly, and not a penny of medical research funds is devoted to reducing the problem.  In short, we simply do not consider acorns to be oak trees.

Exactly.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2008, 06:19:18 AM »

Yet in over 20 years of them trying to use embryonic stem cells they have failed to show they cure anything.  Cures and treatments to date from stem cells have come from adult stem cells.  It may seem taht embryonic cells are not all they are claimed to be.

Phillip_20

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2008, 07:28:08 PM »

Hmmm... this is QUITE interesting. However, I have questions that I'm not sure can be answered lol
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2008, 11:34:06 AM »

Being on dialysis, as most of you are. I pray for the day they discover a way to give us a kidney without having to take rejection medication. I hope they explore all the option embryonic and adult stem cells hopefully will be available for scientists with the adequate funding so that they have just as much resources as Scientists in other countries.
Wallyz

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2008, 11:56:06 AM »

In the meantime, I hope you all will support Transplant Candidates Against Mandatory Motorcycle Helmet Laws in an effort to increase the donor population.
LightLizard

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2009, 12:15:42 PM »

stem cell research took another step forward yesterday when a hospital in Toronto announced that researchers have found a way to deliver stem cells without using a virus, as was done previously. lookin good. hang in there, gang!
 :guitar:
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2009, 04:36:27 PM »

In the meantime, I hope you all will support Transplant Candidates Against Mandatory Motorcycle Helmet Laws in an effort to increase the donor population.
Another way to increase the donor population is to ask all your neighbors and co-workers to buy those Smart Fortwo minicars.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety did some test crashes of the Smart Fortwo against a regular-sized sedan, and found that the crash sent the Smart Fortwo "airborne."

The Smart Fortwo:  The ideal car for kidney donors.
LightLizard

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2009, 08:06:48 PM »

http://singularityhub.com/2009/06/08/growing-organs-in-the-lab/

:bandance;
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2009, 02:20:59 AM »

off topic........ (sorry)

I don't feel comfortable in supporting something to make people die in a way that their brains are damaged.

I don't want to promote killing machines..... just too weird. 

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
LightLizard

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2009, 08:44:30 AM »

off topic........ (sorry)

I don't feel comfortable in supporting something to make people die in a way that their brains are damaged.

I don't want to promote killing machines..... just too weird.

?? are you actually talking about something? pretty random statement.
cars are killing machines, you know. ;)
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2009, 03:17:03 PM »

I think Rightside was being sarcastic...

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2009, 06:36:09 PM »

Hanify I think it was Des' statement.
As far as I have read about stem cells, there are many different methods to get stem cells. Some use embryonic stem cells from old donor eggs, stem cells from the umbilical cord, and adult stem cells. What's got people up in arms is the embryonic stem cells. There was two different ways of getting those, but now days the most common I am reading about is the ones used from donor eggs from fertility clinic that would basically be thrown out due  to either age, person no longer wants them saved, or a malfunction in the cooling system, but still can be used for other medical purposes. The argument there is that people consider that they are still killing an unborn child and thus the argument begins.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2009, 04:39:40 AM »

Another way to increase the donor population is to ask all your neighbors and co-workers to buy those Smart Fortwo minicars.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety did some test crashes of the Smart Fortwo against a regular-sized sedan, and found that the crash sent the Smart Fortwo "airborne."

The Smart Fortwo:  The ideal car for kidney donors.

?? are you actually talking about something? pretty random statement.
cars are killing machines, you know.

Yes I was talking about the "something"  rightside posted see above quote.
Not so randum as I think as I was replying to a post? I know cars are killing machines but supporting one specific model because it guaranteed no protection when you have an accident so that somebody can get a kidney .....?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:42:01 AM by Des » Logged

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2009, 04:44:10 AM »

I think Rightside was being sarcastic...

Hanify.... I thought so too... but the thought of it was just weird. :)

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
sico

wheres my bike gone?

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2009, 08:12:30 PM »

I hope this becomes reality in my lifetime. When i was going to hospital for HD 3x4hrs a week, a dear old lady in there told me i should seriously think about staying on dialysis until this happens. She said 'you're young and dialysis ain't that bad'.

Brad      "Got myself a one way ticket, going the wrong way" - Bon Scott

6/11/08 diagnosed with ESRF, dialysis that day

HD and PD

8th of April 2010 Live kidney transplant from my father.
Nobbzee

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2009, 01:51:31 AM »

Being on dialysis, as most of you are. I pray for the day they discover a way to give us a kidney without having to take rejection medication. I hope they explore all the option embryonic and adult stem cells hopefully will be available for scientists with the adequate funding so that they have just as much resources as Scientists in other countries.

You know, I was just reading that Stanford and one other clinic have had trials where they not only get a kidney from the donor but also stem cells from the donor's bone marrow (no worries about embryonic stem cells here). Before the transplant, the donor's stems cells are injected into the recipient. The gist of it is that the recipieint's immune system is transformed so that it will not see the new organ as a hostile body. By the way, this stem cell treatment isn't just being done for kidneys but for other organ transplants as well.

After six months, doctors were able to entirely ween the patient off all immunosuppressive drugs. :o
I hope this becomes done more and more.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080123125623.htm
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 02:50:22 AM by Nobbzee » Logged
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2009, 05:22:17 PM »

This is the kind of medical breakthrough I'm looking towards!  I would have a much better chance of being allowed a transplant if there aren't immunosuppressants involved.  Imagine that!  These people who give their lives to this research are amazing.  As well as the people that let them try things on them!

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Nobbzee

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2009, 07:08:47 PM »

This is the link to the Stanford study where the donor doesn't even have to be a relative and the recipient can be taken off immunosuppressant drugs after receiving stem cell treatment.

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2002/april24/kidney-424.html

Stanford is recruiting candidates for a clinical trial too.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00319657
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 07:17:22 PM by Nobbzee » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »