I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:54:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Wheelchair Discussions
| | |-+  Damn I hate people who stare. I mean REALLY stare.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Damn I hate people who stare. I mean REALLY stare.  (Read 41601 times)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« on: August 11, 2005, 08:34:08 PM »

I'm in a wheelchair as you know and man everywhere I go people stare, I'm not talking a look or a glance I'm talking turning heads and almost breaking necks. I not some handsome stud but I'm not a ugly freak either. I'm not disfiqured either but why is it that people stare at people in a wheelchair. And no I don't have a complex people really will stare for like minutes. or follow me with there eyes as I roll by. And it's not that I am staring at them so they are staring back, I will see them staring and I will look away and then look back and they are still staring! WTF?

So if your in a wheelchair let me know is it just me or do people stare at you!

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
LifeOnHold

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 10:30:37 PM »

I am not in a wheelchair, but whenever I see a person in one I watch them for awhile to see if I can help them open a door or anything.

We have a lot of patients in wheelchairs, so I'm probably more aware of the manuvering problems than other people.

Have you tried saying, Hey!  Take a picture!  to the people who stare?  :)

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 10:47:23 PM »

I am not in a wheelchair, but whenever I see a person in one I watch them for awhile to see if I can help them open a door or anything.

We have a lot of patients in wheelchairs, so I'm probably more aware of the manuvering problems than other people.

Have you tried saying, Hey!  Take a picture!  to the people who stare?  :)

Well ususally I will just stare back untill they look away. It's nice of you to watch to see if they need help or anything but the people I'm talking about stare when I'm in a mall or something and I have my wife pushing me or my son so they know I have them to help me. So these people are just either rude or ignorant.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

LifeOnHold

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 11:37:44 PM »

I understand; I've also been stared at by ignorant people.  The kids are curious and want to know what that thing is in my arm, and I have no problem with that-- but the adults!  Man!

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 11:55:57 PM »

I understand; I've also been stared at by ignorant people.  The kids are curious and want to know what that thing is in my arm, and I have no problem with that-- but the adults!  Man!

Yeah I don't mine kids, there just curious but I could kill some of these ignorant people. If there curious just why don't they just ask.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

oldborris

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 02:26:31 AM »

What's so odd about a person being in a wheelchair.  They are so common that  I would have thought that they were just as much part of the scenery as a pederast...sorry!, pedestrian.  I've never seen anyone stare at a wheelchair user and can think of no reason why they should.

At the age of 80 and getting more stiff and more slow in my movements day by day I have just graduated to a mobility scooter.  Nobody stares at me and in fact I get so little attention that people don't get out of my way even when I bleat my inadaquate horn just centimetres away from them but when they do eventually notice they usually smile widely in a friendly way.  I went to a locall theatre the other day to see a play about Ozzies sharing a flat in London and there was a big queue [what you Americans call a line] of young people waiting to go in and sprawling alll over the pavement  They greeted my arrival, horn bleating furiously, with wide friendly smiles and cheery greetings and,without waiting to be asked, opened the doors of the playhouse for me

But when people don't notice and dpn't hear my horn I usually  call out in a loud voice "make way for Mad Max, the demon motorist" and trundle past them at all of 2 mph. 
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 08:51:57 PM »

My daughter and I both have lazy eye in our right eyes and droopy eyelids.  Geez people are rude.  They stare then have the audacity to ask what is wrong with your eyes?  Even nurses will do it to me.  Can you see out of that eye? 
See even people without wheelchairs can get stared at. I hate it for my daughter!

Katherine
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 11:33:09 AM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 07:14:38 PM »

Katherine, could you do me a favour.  Please post your picture in a message in a larger form so I can understand it.  It looks interesting, but I can't make it out.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 11:18:08 PM »

The pic is of a cat who is all tangled up in toilet paper. No caption needed.  It's the way I feel between work and dialysis about paperwork.

For those of you who just got to the site  I changed the pic to my siamese cat shortly after this was written.
Katherine 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 08:41:42 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kevno

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 01:13:24 PM »

I used to wear short sleeve shirts, in the summer. But you can sense when some one is staring at you, both my arms are badly scarred because of fistulas.  I never mind kids looking, but it is when an adults just keep staring and saying look at his arms. I know, if you do say something back to them they win, but now I alway wear long sleeves. So they have won :-\

The only time I ever stare at a wheelchair is on the unit, when the so called driver is heading towards me. and i have to jump out of the way. Had my toes run over a couple of times. Did not even get a apology. I am not looking at the person in the wheelchair, just which way they are zig zagging, so I can get out of the bloody way :o

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Panda_9

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 07:26:20 PM »

I get alot of people staring at my fistula scars. I dont really give a sh*t if they stare, its natural to want to look at something out of the ordinary. I admit I have a glance at things, but I make sure they are looking the other way first.
Gus

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 07:28:15 PM »

People stare at me all the time, all I do is smile back to them and say Howdy!  :D
hyperlite

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 08:21:46 PM »

Yeah I've got a problem with people staring at me...especially the girls. Seems wherever I go, they're always staring at me, and whispering to their friends "look at how hot that guy is!"...and then they come up to me and ask me for my phone number. And then they phone me at all hours of the night. And they find out where I live and stand in front of my house just waiting to get a glimpse of me....its neverending!  8)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 08:54:28 PM »

Hyperlite, you really need to talk to your Physician about these hallucinations.   >:D

Maybe he can give you a "reality" pill!

hyperlite

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 09:33:02 PM »

I tried talking to my nephrologist about it, but she just stood there drooling, nodding her head with a mesmerized look on her face...
kevno

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 11:50:55 AM »

:-X ::) >:D

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 02:25:24 PM »

Hubby and I have entered the wonderful world of getting stared at.  Him with the leg amputated and me being with him.  Plus people do NOT get out of the way of a wheelchair.  What is with them? Do they not see you coming towards them????

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 03:16:50 PM »

Hubby and I have entered the wonderful world of getting stared at.  Him with the leg amputated and me being with him.  Plus people do NOT get out of the way of a wheelchair.  What is with them? Do they not see you coming towards them????

Katherine

THANK YOU!!!! Now you understand what I'm talking about. Some people are just oblivious.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Panda_9

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 07:27:51 PM »

I have come across a few people in wheelchairs who have been quite rude, when clearly you havent seen them there. I always get out of the way if I see them coming, but I do at least expect an excuse me if I dont see them.
You dont see many wheelchairs around this area, its mainly pushy women with massive prams who dont say excuse me, or they stand in the middle of the walkway and expect the hoards people to dodge them. A lady run up my leg with her pram not so long ago, and didnt even appologise.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 09:27:26 AM »

You know I don't mind the kids staring, but the adults could be less obtrusive about it.  I think they do not know what to do or say.  Kids at least will come up and ask questions and get answers. Adults just seem to be rude about it.  I figure, go ahead stare all you want...we are beautiful people anyway! >:D

Katherine
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 11:33:55 AM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 04:07:32 PM »

I grew up with freckles on my face and glasses for a lazy eye and bad vision.  I'm use to being stared at.  But, I usually stare back and I usually win.   :o

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2006, 05:37:57 PM »

Why am I totally not surprised at that?? ::)

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 10:24:11 PM »

I stare ... I stare at fistulas because I just got mine this year and the first one failed but the 2nd one seems to be working and it will be used soon. I stare because I am insecure about how big the fistula might get big. One guy has a huge one and I already felt insecure enough about my stretchmarks I got all over from my last transplant from when I was only 16.

I stare because no one will give me answers. Well, not the dialysis nurses anyway. They all say it is not that bad. But I WANT TO KNOW firsthand. Only way I can know that is by looking. I am scared of the unknown.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
SpeedFleX

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 04:11:14 AM »

I get stared at too! Since my right foot is a little smaller I have a little limp when I walk.

Staring fine but people go as far as copying it behind me. Makes me so mad sometimes.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 11:29:46 AM »

I told the kids at school about my hubby's accident.  One kid got up and limped across the room in front of me. The accident had just happened so I had absolutely no idea what to say to the kid.  How incredibly rude!!!

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »