I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 11:26:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dialysis Patients: Discussions About Care for the End of Life Survey
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysis Patients: Discussions About Care for the End of Life Survey  (Read 4879 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 23, 2007, 09:12:44 AM »

MESSAGE FROM NATIONAL KIDNEY FOUNDATION:
Thank you very much to those of you who have responded to the NKF survey! We have received 134 survey responses from NKF members on dialysis treatment. We appreciate hearing your thoughts on this topic, especially knowing its' extreme sensitivity. If you have not had a chance to respond to this survey, it's not too late. Go to the "Discussions About Care for the End of Life Survey." It will take about 5 minutes to answer all of the questions. Your time can help you and others.

(Please only complete this survey one time) 

Sheila Weiner, MSW, LCSW
Patient Services Director
National Kidney Foundation
30 East 33rd Street
New York, NY  10016
ph: 212-889-2210 ext.198
fax: 212-689-9261
e-mail: sheilaw@kidney.org

Thinking about changes in health status is often very difficult. With this is mind, the National Kidney Foundation is interested in hearing your thoughts about end-of-life care for people on dialysis so that we can help improve communication and care in dialysis units. If you are on dialysis, you can help by completing this survey (only people on dialysis should complete this survey). It will take about 5 minutes to answer all of the questions. Your time can help you and others. Thank you very much! Go to: http://www.zoomerang.com/recipient/survey.zgi?p=WEB2265XZLAN9H

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 09:03:45 PM »

consider  it  done :2thumbsup; :thumbup;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 11:00:23 PM »

done  I've never discussed it ... I guess I'm in denial

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 12:35:52 AM »

i'm not going anywhere   :boxing;  just because I am on dialysis. Who says I need 'end of life care'   :urcrazy;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 01:08:52 AM »

:thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 02:28:38 AM »

i'm not going anywhere   :boxing;  just because I am on dialysis. Who says I need 'end of life care'   :urcrazy;

This is "denial".  You are on life support!  You better make your wishes known and put things in order just in case.   You may get smucked on the way to dialysis.  One never knows.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 04:21:30 PM »

I've discussed it with my family, but not with my docs.  Which reminds me, I need to get my sis to sign my living will forms.. . .I gotta find a notary around here.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

st789

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 04:30:31 PM »

I never thought of dialysis as a form of life support.  Now I think of it, it is a form of life support.  One day you are here, the next day you never know.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 06:04:02 PM »

Those questions got me thinking.  I am going to discuss some of it at my next dr appointment.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 08:22:56 PM »

I never thought of dialysis as a form of life support.  Now I think of it, it is a form of life support.  One day you are here, the next day you never know.

if it isn't life support, what would you call it, YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT OR A TRANSPLANT. and transplants aren't permanent.  in another thread i refereed to kidney disease as a terminal illness, several people objected strongly to my use of that term. (everyone is intitled to their own opinion.) someone even felt badly because i "dwelt" on death. i don't. but give this some thought, then forget about it. "the moment of birth is the beginning of death" everyone dies at some point or other. i don't expect my house to burn down, but i have fire insurance. i don't leave the house expecting to be in an auto accident, but i have car insurance. it never hurts to be prepared, the best way is to do it while you are healthy, which we on dialysis aren't my parents, both in their 80's, have taken care of everything, on their own terms. when they pass (hopefully not soon) there will be few decisions for my sister and i to make. nothing will be done in grief, it is allready taken care of. this is something we all need to take care of, for that time, whenever it may be.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 08:56:10 PM »

This is "denial".  You are on life support!  You better make your wishes known and put things in order just in case.   You may get smucked on the way to dialysis.  One never knows.

Rerun you missed it   :sarcasm;  My affairs are in order. Not because I am on dialysis but there maybe a bus out there with my name on it. Give me a little credit.  ;D

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 05:09:02 AM »

I haven't made or discussed any plans............... and i don't plan to either.

stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 11:36:51 AM »

I have watched so many fellow dialysis patients go through terrible but needless horror over the last few months or weeks of their lives that I was profoundly relieved when I found out about the Dignitas Organization, which is a voluntary group of physicians in Switzerland who painlessly and caringlly euthanize severely ill patients for a nominal fee.  What they do is perfectly legal under Swiss law, which deserves to be congratulated for its humanity and decency in allowing such a service to save people from useless suffering.  I always feel greatly reassured facing the possibility of all sorts of hideous physical deteriorations, just because I know that I can escape them when I want, by a method of exit which is guaranteed to be gentle and certain.  I think that the first ethical obligation of medical staff when dealing with patients having serious disease should be to tell them about this possibility.
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 02:46:50 PM »

Actually everyone should have one of these in one form or another

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
keefer51

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 02:42:34 PM »

Yes i took care of everything. I am by myself and don't have anything to worry about. Everything i did was on the pretense i will die from kidney disease. Of course i could be run over by a banana truck tommorrow! All of my family knows of my wishes.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »