I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 04:40:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  High heart rate
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: High heart rate  (Read 27680 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2006, 09:50:43 AM »

Angie,
I think they are treating you unfairly when they do not take care of you properly.  I would talk to your director and get some answers as to why on a self care unit you are not being taught anything. And then I would begin quietly to raise hell with them.  You have to find a way to be adult about it and not stomp your feet in a temper, but quietly by pushy.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2006, 08:05:40 PM »

Low BP isn't good if you have a fistula as it can clot it off. Ideal post Dx BP is above 130 systolic. When I went for my fistula operation the surgeon was very happy that my BP was a little bit high  :)
Ya they think that may be why my first one failed.. that and it was so small :(

Uh-oh ??? The Neph has goal BP for my husband of 110/70 or lower.  It's usually a little higher than that, but with two BP meds and lasix twice daily it will occasionally be as low as 110/65; maybe that's why his fistula is still so small. :o  On our last visit to a dialysis clinic, the "Best Sticker" looked at his fistula and said it is big enough to use and that it shouldn't be a problem.  She said that a 6" fistula is plenty big enough to start dialysis, especially with a buttonhole, and that it would "grow" with use.  Whew, that was good news.  I just hope she was right!

The reason for the low target BP is that the rate of growth and multiplication of PKD cysts seems to slow at lower BP.  As usual w/ ESRD everything seems to be a trade off -- like the twice daily bicarbonate of soda and lasix.  :(

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2006, 08:58:26 PM »

Uh-oh ??? The Neph has goal BP for my husband of 110/70 or lower.  It's usually a little higher than that, but with two BP meds and lasix twice daily it will occasionally be as low as 110/65; maybe that's why his fistula is still so small. :o  On our last visit to a dialysis clinic, the "Best Sticker" looked at his fistula and said it is big enough to use and that it shouldn't be a problem.  She said that a 6" fistula is plenty big enough to start dialysis, especially with a buttonhole, and that it would "grow" with use.  Whew, that was good news.  I just hope she was right!

When the surgeon looked at my first fistula (before he made it) I had good big veins. The thing was he looked at it before hemo. Then he did te surgery (making the fistula) after I had dialysis .. so it was small.

THe next time I had a fistula made, I made sure to come of the chair heavy so it would not be too small.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Panda_9

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2006, 04:17:01 AM »

Low BP isn't good if you have a fistula as it can clot it off. Ideal post Dx BP is above 130 systolic. When I went for my fistula operation the surgeon was very happy that my BP was a little bit high  :)

The reason for the low target BP is that the rate of growth and multiplication of PKD cysts seems to slow at lower BP.  As usual w/ ESRD everything seems to be a trade off -- like the twice daily bicarbonate of soda and lasix.  :(

I dont really know anything about PKD so it might be different in your case. When you are running your blood back at the end of dialysis your BP naturally rises because of the amount of fluid running into your system so quickly. Im just told that its ideal to keep it above 130 post. As long as its not too high or low later on after youve had a chance to settle down after Dx. Everyone is different though, and in normal healthy people, ideal BP is around 115/75, which for someone on dialysis may be a little too low. You certainly dont want it that low pre Dx.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2006, 12:44:13 PM »

I don't really know anything about PKD so it might be different in your case. When you are running your blood back at the end of dialysis your BP naturally rises because of the amount of fluid running into your system so quickly. I'm just told that its ideal to keep it above 130 post. As long as its not too high or low later on after you've had a chance to settle down after Dx. Everyone is different though, and in normal healthy people, ideal BP is around 115/75, which for someone on dialysis may be a little too low. You certainly dint want it that low pre Dx.

I really appreciate the info as that is something we'll have to discuss w/ the Neph.  Even though the cyst multiplication and growth acceleration will no longer make a difference as far as function -- he'll allready be on dialysis -- but as the kidneys get bigger the pain and complications can increase. >:(  They're already more than 20 pounds, and possibly as much as 40 pounds total, so removal may eventually be necessary anyway.  It's just that the residual function can remain for a long time and removal is put off as long as possible -- until the pain becomes unbearable and uncontrollable.  I dread that for him. :( :( :(

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »