I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:41:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What book are you currently reading?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What book are you currently reading?  (Read 233250 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1350 on: January 08, 2016, 09:04:40 AM »

Hello Charlie,
Could there be several different versions (interpretations?) of the Qu'ran ?
I am wondering, because only recently I was told that according to the Qu'ran deocrative art is never wanted.
But in the shortened translation (version?) of the Qu'ran which I have read, decorative art was not even mentioned...
What do you think?
Thanks from Kristina.

I have only read the one English translation, there may be more but I wouldn't expect them to vary by much.  I hope!

IIRC,  art and music are considered a waste of time and effort and could be considered a sin as that time and effort should be spent on meaningful worship of God.

Islam, Muslims do NOT believe in violence.  And adhere very strictly to the commandment 'Do NOT Kill'.  The only couple of exceptions are in self-defense.  If you or one near you is attacked by an animal or another human and the threat of death is eminent, only then is one allowed to kill.  And even then that person is considered UN-clean and must be segregated until a period of time and process of 'cleansing' is completed.  This included the Muslim warriors that fought in their Religious Wars when other tribes of the Mid-East wished to take over Muslim lands.  These successful warriors had to be 'cleansed' before they could return to their society.

Radical Muslims have to be quoting some other copy other than the one that I read.
Thank you Charlie,
It is interesting that art and music are now considered a waste of time and effort and could be considered a sin as that time and effort should be spent on meaningful worship of God ... But if one comes across the wonderful art-work of the Royal Persian Manuscripts and the modern illuminated translation by Oxford University Press of the 'Rubáiyát' (short epigrammatic poems) of the medieval Persian poet, mathematician, and philosopher Omar Khayyám (1048 - 1141) it would suggest that at one time life and the arts were very much celebrated and enjoyed ?

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Blake nighsonger

« Reply #1351 on: January 17, 2016, 02:38:23 AM »

Thanks casper2636, going to be on look out for that one,,,, can't wait!! I wounder if it's a spin off  Pillars of the Earth ,,,, the part were the lady had the baby along side the old stone road as they where traveling by foot still is in my visual memory bank...

thank you,, Blake n.
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #1352 on: January 17, 2016, 06:46:26 PM »

Has anyone read The Girls of Atomic City by Denise Kiernan? I finished reading that about a week ago and found it fascinating!!! I never knew about the then secret city of Oak Ridge TN, and all the people who went there to work, and all of them didn't know what they were working on and agreed to not tell *any*one, including their friends, roommates, etc what their jobs entailed. All they knew is they were working on something that would help end the war, and they didn't find out what it was until the day the USA bombed Hiroshima. Good read!

I also thoroughly enjoyed The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown. This is about the Men's Rowing team at University of Washington making it all the way to the 1936 Olympics in Hitler's Berlin. They had a special kind of chemistry that made them into the ultimate rowing machine and was able to win the gold despite given circumstances that made that even tougher than their competitors. Soon to be a movie - I can't wait to see it!

Currently, I'm reading the KonMari book - the life-changing magic of tidying up by marie kondo.  I really need to get rid of stuff and organize my home, so I'm hoping this book will inspire me. I've read about people who use her system and swear by it, so I figure it's worth a try.

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1353 on: January 17, 2016, 10:19:19 PM »

I've heard of "Girls of Atomic City"!  I think it is on my Goodreads queue.  Thanks for reminding me!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Sibella

« Reply #1354 on: January 30, 2016, 01:20:34 PM »

This will excite everyone. I am reading "What You Must Know About Dialysis: The Secrets to Surviving and Thriving on Dialysis" Sep 20, 2012
by Rich Snyder.

November 2014 GFR 22 (diagnosed Stage IV )
January 2015 GFR 26
March 11, 2015 Kidney Biopsy
September 17, 2015 GFR 25
December 9, 2015 GFR 15
January 25, 2016 GFR 13 (Officially Stage V)
March 8, 2016 GFR 11 :(
April 7, 2016 Fistula created in dominate arm :(
April, 2016 eGFR 7
May 16, 2016 Peritoneal Catheter surgery
June 10, 2016 Started CAPD
November 7, 2019 Transplanted :)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1355 on: January 30, 2016, 04:06:57 PM »

This will excite everyone. I am reading "What You Must Know About Dialysis: The Secrets to Surviving and Thriving on Dialysis" Sep 20, 2012
by Rich Snyder.

:rofl;    Confession: two years in and hubby and I are still learning.  ::)

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
TheLivingWater

« Reply #1356 on: January 30, 2016, 11:42:56 PM »

"Proof of Heaven"

by Eben Alexander
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1357 on: February 02, 2016, 02:35:41 AM »

by Rich Snyder.

Hello Sibella,
Could you please elaborate about this book ?
Does Rich Snyder prioritize a kidney-friendly diet for dialysis patients ?
... And ... what does a kidney-friendly diet consist of in his opinion ?
... How important - or how unimportant - does he consider our weight ?
(I have been reading that if a dialysis-patient is a "heavy- weight", his/her survival-chances are very much reduced ...)
.... And ... what sort of priorities must we observe in order to survive for as long as possible on dialysis ... what is Rich Snyder's opinion about it ?
Many thanks from Kristina. :grouphug;
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:39:12 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1358 on: February 02, 2016, 09:03:42 AM »

Middlemarch.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #1359 on: February 03, 2016, 02:59:15 AM »

Defy Your Doctor and Be Healed

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
casper2636

« Reply #1360 on: February 14, 2016, 11:22:17 AM »

A good read that goes quick (I didn't want to put it down) was David Wroblewski "The Story of Edward Sawtelle".
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] Go Up Print 
« previous next »