I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:26:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What book are you currently reading?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 55 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What book are you currently reading?  (Read 234647 times)
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1250 on: September 23, 2014, 05:43:55 AM »

Nemesis by Jo Nesbo, quite good MM
I read one of the newer Harry Hole series books and it was very good.  I've actually held off on the rest because I'm not big into the crime novels so I feel its best to pace myself.  I find it interesting that some how the Scandinavian authors are making it big with crime books...

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1251 on: September 28, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »

I am still studying François Couperin: L'Art de toucher le clavecin 1717 (The Art of playing/touching the Harpsichord).
A wonderful introduction... and I am learning a lot... and his wonderful tonality is simply breath-taking...
... the longer I study his compositions, the better I like them, he was a really great composer and is still very inspiring !

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1252 on: September 28, 2014, 11:00:15 PM »

I have been reading The Godsland series. A sci fi/fantasy series. 6 books so far I have read in this series.
First two were free on Amazon books.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1253 on: October 10, 2014, 02:15:38 PM »

Shutter Island by Dennis LaHane

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1254 on: November 21, 2014, 04:31:59 PM »

Wife is a regular at the local clothing resale shops.  She rarely answers her cell phone and one day I wanted to ask her about something so I figured I'd find her there. Y'up.

I ended up checking out their used book section and found THREE  of the most recent Tom Clancy's.  Of course I just HAD to buy them. Fifty cents each, no wait, it was a twofer day, so I also grabbed another by Sue Grafton.

Long story shorter, that was last week, now I'm Jonesing to find something else to read, all done, and I ain't got no more, yet.

Grafton is a hoot to read her series of the inept young female detective.  More comedy than murder mystery.

What can I say about Clancy, it is very difficult to put down until you are finished.

I'm going to have to start going to the local County library again.  Pick a new author.  When I run out of what's on the shelf I simply order up the rest of their works from other counties until I've exhausted that Author.

Then the search begins again.
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1255 on: November 21, 2014, 04:50:18 PM »

The Secret Circle Part 1 by L.J. Smith

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #1256 on: November 22, 2014, 11:56:46 AM »

I read one Dean Koontz, scared me so much I was afraid to read another.

Don't remember the title & much of the story, but never forgot this part:

A man picked up a teenaged hitchhiker took her to his home & strung her up in a pitch dark basement with just the tips of her toes touching the floor.

After several days he opened some air vents & let in thousands of ants & over the next week or so they slowly ate her alive.

I kept thinking he was giving some depraved psyco an idea on how to torture someone.

Anyone know the title of that book & are all his books like that?

Jane

I agree with you I read this book and it gave me nightmares too...
Now I avoid hitchhiking and basements and Dean Koontz books  :P

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1257 on: November 24, 2014, 09:21:11 AM »

I've been reading Tana French's Dublin Murder Squad Series (I'm about to start the fifth and latest book, The Secret Place).

At the moment, though, I'm reading the latest in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, The Handsome Man's De Luxe Café.  I love these books.  They are gentle and so filled with wisdom.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1258 on: November 25, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »

Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maughn.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1259 on: November 27, 2014, 07:53:03 PM »

Haven't made it to the Library yet, but I did hit the Re-sell Shop again, found another Clancy that I haven't read, another Barclay, and picked up more books from a bunch of different authors that I haven't read yet. 

I always tickles me how they ALL are advertised as "#1 Best Seller'   Yea, right, as if they are ALL #1, there must not ever be #'s 2 through 10, or worse.  LOL
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1260 on: December 03, 2014, 12:55:59 AM »

I'm reading "Gifted Hands, The Ben Carson Story". The more I hear him speak, the more I like him and the more I want to know about him. Especially if he's going to be a presidential candidate. He's got my attention. 

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #1261 on: December 03, 2014, 11:28:18 AM »

Wife is a regular at the local clothing resale shops.  She rarely answers her cell phone and one day I wanted to ask her about something so I figured I'd find her there. Y'up.

I ended up checking out their used book section and found THREE  of the most recent Tom Clancy's.  Of course I just HAD to buy them. Fifty cents each, no wait, it was a twofer day, so I also grabbed another by Sue Grafton.

Long story shorter, that was last week, now I'm Jonesing to find something else to read, all done, and I ain't got no more, yet.

Grafton is a hoot to read her series of the inept young female detective.  More comedy than murder mystery.

What can I say about Clancy, it is very difficult to put down until you are finished.

I'm going to have to start going to the local County library again.  Pick a new author.  When I run out of what's on the shelf I simply order up the rest of their works from other counties until I've exhausted that Author.

Then the search begins again.
I have the entire Sue Grafton series from A-W!! Waiting for X to come out!!!
If you enjoy Sue Grafton's feisty pi, try Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series, One for the money, Two for the dough, Three to get deadly etc right up to 21.
They are funky (I even have the video for One for the money)

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
lainiepop

« Reply #1262 on: December 21, 2014, 05:47:36 AM »

I am reading (and almost finished!) 'DIVERGENT.' i love it, can't put it down!!

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1263 on: January 04, 2015, 07:53:48 AM »

When I started with "d" I have also started to re-read all "my" Agatha Christies crime stories again through the four hours.
It helps me quite a lot to "sharpen up my grey cells" again, because just before starting with "d", I began to feel
as if my grey cells went "away without orderly leave" and I really feel that I need my grey cells to come urgently back again.
Agatha Christie is one of those very rare thinkers-writers, who had a very sharp logic and she could think "around many different corners".
Following her sharp logic in her books seems to be a very good training for the mind to get back again...
Of course, I shall continue with my cross-word-puzzles (good prices to be won there !), but Agatha Christie wins nevertheless!

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1264 on: January 10, 2015, 02:44:24 PM »

Just started my latest Jojo Moyes book 'The one plus one' . Finished 'Me before you' which was just great. I read all her books now, and am hoping she hurries up with the next one.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1265 on: January 10, 2015, 06:48:14 PM »

Rereading one of my all time favorite books "The Milagro Beanfield War" by John  Nichols.  It a look at a culture in the south west of the U.S.  and it's fabulous .
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #1266 on: January 12, 2015, 12:38:47 PM »

I have started to read WILD by Cheryl Strayed.
About a woman who hikes the entire PCT trail from Mexico to Canada, alone.
It is an amazing book.

I look forward to seeing the film when it comes out.

10 years of half a life
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1267 on: January 12, 2015, 02:58:42 PM »

I am reading Dennis Wheatley's "Murder off Miami", a put-together of a crime-dossier from the 1930's
with all the police-evidence included in the book i.e photos, cablegrams, handwritten letters, police-memos etc.
Very fascinating to read and even more fascinating to develop different theories about "who's done it"...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1268 on: January 29, 2015, 02:39:34 AM »

Louis Fordrin: Nouveau livre de serrurerie.
Engravings of French Decorative Ironwork

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
frankswife

« Reply #1269 on: January 29, 2015, 04:24:51 AM »

Just bought The Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell, now if I can just find some time to actually read it...

"If we all abandon our posts, who then will stand?" St. Augustine
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1270 on: January 29, 2015, 06:06:06 AM »

Just bought The Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell, now if I can just find some time to actually read it...
I few years ago I read through a few Bernard Cornwell books.  They are quite enjoyable...

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1271 on: January 29, 2015, 08:56:17 AM »

I'm reading the new Flavia de Luce book along with "For Cause & Comrades", which explores why so many young men went off to fight in the Civil War.  What exactly did these soldiers believe they were fighting for?  Did a young farmer from Ohio join the Union army because he cared so much about abolition and emancipation?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1272 on: January 30, 2015, 04:05:27 AM »

Dennis Wheatley: Who killed Robert Prentice?
A murder mystery planned by J.G. Links and it is a 1930's "who's done it" crime dossier complete with real actual clues,
which have been put - by the publisher - into little paper-bags within the book for the reader to take out and "investigate"...
 i.e. a railway ticket, a teared-up photo, an envelope with a handwritten letter inside, a single stamp, newspaper-pages, newspaper-cuttings etc., 
all of which have been put into the book for the reader to take out, and "investigate" busily during the four hours of "D"...
... Extremely interesting, very time-consuming and it certainly takes the mind away from "you know what"......

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1273 on: January 30, 2015, 09:42:53 AM »

Wow Kristina, that sounds like a marvelous book.  I will have to check to see if the public library system has a copy.  I just hope other readers are careful to put all the 'evidence' back in the book so the next reader, me, can also inspect it.

I expect to finish my current read, Rainbow Six by Clancy.  I think I've read most everything he's written.

Got to remember the name.  Just saw a new John Grisham in the store yesterday. Forgot the title already. I'm too cheap, can't afford new books, so I browse the re-sell shops and use the library. It may be a while before I get to read this one, but I have read all his others.

Added note:  Just searched the state library system.  They do not have it.  Will have to ask the ladies next time I'm there how to go about getting a copy.  Or if it is possible. (Fingers crossed).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:47:36 AM by Charlie B53 » Logged
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1274 on: January 31, 2015, 02:49:36 AM »

Hello Charlie,
I do hope you can locate Dennis Wheatley's "Who killed Robert Prentice?" through your public library
and I wish you good luck with it...

Best wishes from Kristina.

P.S. In the UK it is possibloe to locate a book from one local public library
to all the public libraries in the UK and it does not take too much time either...
Does that apply to your library-system as well?

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 55 Go Up Print 
« previous next »