I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:23:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What book are you currently reading?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 55 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What book are you currently reading?  (Read 233283 times)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2007, 05:09:13 AM »

Rhett Butler's People. It's the follow up to Gone With the Wind, written from Rhett Butler's point of view.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2007, 01:51:16 PM »

Re-reading "Rose Madder" by Stephen King. Chilling and gruesome!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2007, 07:55:49 PM »

If you really enjoyed or really hated a book you read and posted here - give us a recommendation (thumbs up or down) when you're done.

I read:

Brother Odd  :thumbup;

Scar Tissue  :thumbup;

Both were great.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
oswald

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2007, 10:25:26 AM »

communicating with the dead by linda georgian.  pretty far-fetched but still interesting.

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2007, 11:48:15 AM »

for any foodies out there- I really,really liked Garlic and Sapphires by Rurh Reichl... I just bought her first two books, Comfort with Apples and Tender at the Bone, I expect they will be lovely.  This woman has a way of descibing food, so that you almost taste it.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2007, 02:27:05 PM »

The best of this week's library selection -
The Bachelor's Cat by L. F. Hoffman
Bad Girl Creek by Jo-Ann Mapson

Also read the Septimus Heap series from the kid's section - very cute!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kelliOR

« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2007, 06:49:30 PM »

for any foodies out there- I really,really liked Garlic and Sapphires by Rurh Reichl... I just bought her first two books, Comfort with Apples and Tender at the Bone, I expect they will be lovely.  This woman has a way of descibing food, so that you almost taste it.

Glitter---I loved 'Tender at the Bone'.....I made the potato salad from the book, and it brought me back to being a little girl in my Grandfather's German deli's in NYC.

Currently reading -- 'The Almost Moon' by Alice Sebold ( 'The Lovely Bones')

Shoot for the Moon.....Even if you miss, you'll end up among the Stars ........

Denied PKD for years (Boy, was I good at it!)
Dragged kicking and screaming to dialysis (in center hemo)
Transplant from a friend March 24, 2006 at OHSU
Jannie

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2007, 07:25:53 AM »

Thanks for reminding me why I don't like Dean Koontz. I like Elizabeth Berg. I've read all her novels, I'm on "We Are All Welcome Here." About a lonely but bright teenage girl who is the caretaker for her quadraplegic mother. Elvis is in it too!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2007, 09:18:29 AM »

I just finished The Cat who Had Sixty Whiskers

Also the Owl Knight (Heralds of Valdemar) books by Mercedes Lackey

Starting Aerie by the same author. A dragon book.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2007, 09:47:45 AM »

I just finished the Historian over the weekend. Tweetykiss, I saw you asking about it. Did you read this, too?

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2007, 10:31:58 AM »

Got three new books for Christmas--The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (also new movie), Touching Stars by Emilie Richards (series of novels based on love of quilts) and Almost French by Sarah Turnbull.  Not sure which one to start on first!  They are all very different. Some days I like fluff, some days I want to learn new things. Today just might be a fluff day!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2007, 02:29:55 PM »

Just got the whole series that the new "golden Compass" movie is part of - His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.  Here's hoping it's as good as the movie hype.  Also hit the Salvation Army book sale today - hardcovers for a dime, what a deal!  Couldn't resist Roald Dahl's Matilda.  I love that book!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2007, 02:33:06 PM »

for any foodies out there- I really,really liked Garlic and Sapphires by Rurh Reichl... I just bought her first two books, Comfort with Apples and Tender at the Bone, I expect they will be lovely.� This woman has a way of descibing food, so that you almost taste it.

Glitter---I loved 'Tender at the Bone'.....I made the potato salad from the book, and it brought me back to being a little girl in my Grandfather's German deli's in NYC.

Currently reading -- 'The Almost Moon' by Alice Sebold ( 'The Lovely Bones')

I loved "The Lovely Bones".
I just read the book that is the follow up to "Holes". My daughter was reading it over Christmas break.
kevinswife

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2007, 07:54:05 PM »

I am currently on a waiting list at our library for Tuesdays with Morrie,  I seen the author talk about him on  Dr. Phil and it is exactly what i need to read right about now  :2thumbsup;

I just finished reading "For One More Day" by Mitch Albom, the same author who wrote "Tuesdays with Morrie".  I enjoyed his previous book "The Five People You Meet in Heaven"  more than "For One More Day", but both books were good.  I would like to read "Tuesdays with Morrie". 

Wife and care partner to Katonsdad. 
May you rest in peace my dear husband.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2007, 07:58:11 PM »

"The Five People You Meet in Heaven

that was awesome....

I will miss him- FOREVER

RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2007, 11:30:33 PM »

I am currently on a waiting list at our library for Tuesdays with Morrie,  I seen the author talk about him on  Dr. Phil and it is exactly what i need to read right about now  :2thumbsup;

I just finished reading "For One More Day" by Mitch Albom, the same author who wrote "Tuesdays with Morrie".  I enjoyed his previous book "The Five People You Meet in Heaven"  more than "For One More Day", but both books were good.  I would like to read "Tuesdays with Morrie". 

Hey, i havent heard from the library yet, hmmm, thanks for reminding me Kevinswife, i will call them first thing, and i think i will ask about the other books you mentioned as well, that 5 People you will meet in heaven sounds interesting.  :)   Thanks again and happy reading  :waving;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2008, 04:14:00 AM »

Feels strange now, reading that last post from Susie, particularly regarding the subject matter - not sure whether to  :( that she's gone or  :) at the positivity of the above discussion.

Anyway, I have just been loaned "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult (sp?). Apparently it is about a couple who have an ill daughter, and they then have another baby (a boy) through genetic selection or whatever so that they can utilise his tissues/organs etc to save their daughter. It must raise a million ethical questions, but I've been told by two people that it's a very good story, tho very sad.

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2008, 12:51:07 PM »

I loved "5 People You Meet in Heaven", though I believe for those of us who have received a cadaveric organ, there are 6 people we meet!

"My Sister's Keeper" is an excellent book (the younger child is a daughter). It's been awhile since I read it, but as you said, it's very sad though inspiring at the same time, and raises a million ethical questions.

I'm currently reading "Freshwater Road" I'm sorry, I can't remember the author. It's about a 19 year-old black girl from Detroit who goes to Mississippi during the Summer of Freedom to volunteer to register blacks to vote. I'm not very far in, and so far it's only about her impressions of what she sees from cars, etc. We'll see if it improves.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2008, 03:24:57 PM »

I loved "The 5 People You Meet in Heaven."  It really made me think about my life and the impression I'm leaving.

I just finished Joel Osteen's "Become a Better You."  I don't usually read "self-help" type books, but it was pretty good.  Next, I'm reading "The Fourth Hand" -- my sister loaned it to, can't remember the author -- but it's about a guy who gets a hand transplant from a rather shady character.  I don't normally like sci-fi type books either, but the cover on this looked good.

My nephew gave me "Wicked" for Christmas -- it's a really weird take-off on the story behind the Wicked Witch in "The Wizard of Oz."  I started it three times but just can't get into it.  It's really, really .... different.

"Losing My Mind" -- about an Alzeheimers (sp.) patient -- is on my list, too.

Too many books, too little time.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2008, 06:43:05 PM »

Just finished "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield - amazing storyteller!
Also "Eclipse" by Stephenie Meyer - the third in the series.  Nice juicy little read for a "teen" novel.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2008, 09:10:59 PM »

I just finished the Mage Winds Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and am into T-2 Infiltrator

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »

Ruth Reichl-  Comfort me with Apples, Tender at the Bone, and Garlic and Sapphires- three of the best foodie books ever written- I am not terribly adventurous, food wise, but after Comfort me with Apples, I walked around for weeks thinking how much I wanted to try 'tender little pins of garlicky, oily flesh' baby eels they were- I could almost taste them. Tender at the Bone is her first book (and the one I just finished), about her childhood and food- good story, the second ,'Comfort Me with Apples' began her foodie education,restaurateur and a food critic for the LA main newpaper( i forget the name)as well as the cooking she did in the commual world she lived in (Berkeley CA). And the third is just purely decadent love. Its the story of her as a food critic for NY Times. I love her. This is not just a story...(there are recipies too) Its a love story- with the object the food of the world- she eats so many things I don't have the guts to try. She makes the strangest food sound so wonderful, thanks to these books my sister and I try a different cusine every month- and we order things only that we have never had.

I will miss him- FOREVER

RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2008, 06:55:36 PM »

Finished Kite Runner---excellent book. Loved it.  Last week read Water for Elephants; about a small circus in the 30's and 40's. It was really good, too. This week, I am reading Almost French, about an Australian journalist moving to Paris (of course!) and integrating the two cultures. It is based on her own story.  Easy reading during this time when my concentration has been limited. 

Is anyone reading Oprah's new book club pick?  She is also doing an online class with the book. Think I will pick it up with the Barnes and Noble gift card in my purse.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
mark j

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2008, 08:38:34 AM »

Boom by Tom Browkaw  about the effect of the 60's on life today

Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean Koontz  Some Koontz I can read and enjoy, others I'll start and not like, so Ill just stop and read something else.

The Poisonwood Bible  about evangelical Baptist who takes his family to the Belgian Congo in 1959
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2008, 08:54:24 AM »

Glitter, I wanna read those books by Ruth Reichl!!! They sound wonderful, just the kind I like, descriptive of foods, and with recipes!!!

I'm a foodie, I love to talk food, read about it, and cook!!!!   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 55 Go Up Print 
« previous next »