I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:40:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  Getting to know each other
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting to know each other  (Read 118166 times)
goofball

« Reply #225 on: September 09, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »

First name: Chantal
Nickname (irl) Hey you over there, bending over pulling weeds, yeah, you!
Location (be a bit specific): Montreal
YOUR RENAL STATUS: APKD
What you do for a living: Self-employed artist/websmaster
Relationship status: Married for 27 yrs
Siblings:  One brother but he hates me, which isn't important, but is not expected to ever give me a kidney, which is very important it turns out!
Places you have traveled overseas, if any: Utah, Utah, Paris, London, Utah, Amsterdam, Wyoming, Iceland, Utah, god how I love Utah even if technically speaking it's not overseas but overland...
Sport(s) you play, if any: Badminton and lots of it.
What you would/did name your first born child: Bertrand
Drink/Smoke?: Neither
What time do you usually go to bed/wake up: variable
Favourite colour: All that is flashy
l Favourite food:  Cake
Why people like you: I'm funny.  Not intentionally.
What people dislike about you:  My persistence in asking they donate internal organs to me.
Best achievement in life: Master's degree in Molecular Biology
Why you belong to this forum: I got a letter, my kidneys are being recalled.

APKD - 47yr-old

Renal Diet Chef
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #226 on: October 23, 2013, 04:37:07 AM »

Name: Kristina
YOUR RENAL STATUS: Since 1971 chronic proliferative glomerulonephritis (uraemia, coma) kidneys recovered enough to avoid dialysis.
I have been again in ESRF (pre-dialysis) since August 2006 (kidney function 10-12% no dialysis).
My vegetarian diet has become extremely refined over the years and hopefully my “two little fighters” continue to function ...
...without me needing dialysis... for a little longer...
What you do for a living: I have studied Philosophy and Literature but later I changed over to Art.
Places you have travelled overseas, if any: Europe, Morocco and the near East, Russia...
Sport(s) you play, if any: Walking & keeping fit (whenever I can and/or whenever I am well enough to do so) to keep my “two little fighters” functioning
and I love watching Golf, mainly the Masters...(together with friends on their TV because I don't have television).
Drink/Smoke ?:  Neither
What time do you usually go to bed/wake up: Variable
Favourite colour: Pastel colours
Favourite food: I only eat my vegetarian kidney-friendly diet and it seems to be working well for me.
Three bands you would consider to be your favourite: Purcell, Bach, Handel, Vivaldi and many other Baroque composers.
Worst injury you've had:   Too many to mention.
Why you belong to this forum: To exchange our knowledge, especially in my pre-dialysis state and to learn as much as possible about ways how to avoid dialysis,
learning how other ESRF patients deal with the disease, sharing our experiences etc....
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:26:17 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #227 on: October 23, 2013, 09:59:57 AM »

Nickname (irl): Riga or Latvija.
Location (be a bit specific): Toronto
YOUR RENAL STATUS: 8 - 10 % function.  I've kept pushing back HD start date but now I don't really have a choice.  Caregiver also to my grandfather who has been on HD for 8 years.
What you do for a living: Researcher
What you want to do for a living:  Something useful like a plumber, electrician, carpenter...
Relationship status: In a relationship
Siblings: Only child.
Pets: One pony, a chinchilla, three birds, two fish and a grandfather in a chair.
Three bands you would consider to be your favourite: Сектор Газа, Монгол Шуудан and too many others tied for 3rd place.
Places you have travelled overseas, if any:  Most of western Europe, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Croatia, Georgia, Turkey, Azerbaijan, Tunisia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and most of Russia (I haven't been east of Irkutsk except for Khabarovsk.) 
Sport(s) you play, if any: Currently, only pick up football games and folk dancing.
Sports team(s) you support: FC Zenit Saint Petersburg and Ak Bars Kazan
Worst injury you've had: I was chased by a car, tripped, hit my head on a rock, cracked skull, blood everywhere and knocked out.  Earlier on the same day, I stepped on a knife barefoot.  Not a good day that day.
Drink/Smoke?: Drink yes, smoke no.
What time do you usually go to bed/wake up: Go to bed around midnight and awake at 08:00
Favourite colour: Aqua
Favourite food: Georgian food.  Primarily, any form of khachapuri or kartopili nigvzit or soko arazhanit.  Maybe some charkhlis chogi on the side.  I'm hungry now.  :(
Favourite alcoholic drink: Vodka
Why people like you: They don't.  Those that do like my dark sense of humour and interests.  I go out of my way to help people I care about. 
What people dislike about you: I'm a drama queen.  (Typical princess fits over small things.)  I'm straightforward; if I think you're full of beans, I'll tell you.   
Best achievement in life:  Hopefully, it will be my PhD when I finish it.
Why you belong to this forum:  I wanted to see how others deal with renal failure and dialysis.  Both positive and negative sides.  I wanted to learn from people that actually experience the process or are caregivers also.  I think any question my grandfather and I have can be answered here.  This post in particular just looked fun to do...
Terry69

« Reply #228 on: December 30, 2013, 05:43:07 PM »

Here's a list of questions so that the forum can learn more about you - just skip any that you don't wish to answer.

First name: Terry
Nickname (irl):
Location (be a bit specific): Milton,Ontario,Canada
YOUR RENAL STATUS:married
What you do for a living: Disability
What you want to do for a living:
Relationship status:
Siblings: none
Pets: Dog,,cat
Three bands you would consider to be your favourite:
Places you have travelled overseas, if any:
Sport(s) you play, if any: Hockey
Sports team(s) you support: Toronto Maple Leafs
What you would/did name your first born child: Neil
Worst injury you've had:
Drink/Smoke?: NO
What time do you usually go to bed/wake up:
Favourite colour: Blue
Favourite food: Pizza
Favourite alcoholic drink: Beer
Why people like you:
What people dislike about you:
Best achievement in life: My family
Why you belong to this forum: Meet others
rayray73

The creative adult is the child who survived.

« Reply #229 on: March 08, 2014, 05:24:48 PM »

First name: Raymond
Nickname (irl): Ray Ray, Raymundo
Location (be a bit specific): Southampton, England
YOUR RENAL STATUS: I've been on dialysis since 2012 in July/September and still going
What you do for a living: Part time student in college
What you want to do for a living: As a living? either a drummer in an awesome alternative rock band touring the world, an A list actor or a professional skateboarder. But ideally, I'm planning to go to medical school, to become an anesthetist.
Relationship status: Single since I was born.
Siblings: 1 sister, who I don't speak to any more.
Pets: none
Three bands you would consider to be your favourite: The All-American Rejects, Paramore and New Found Glory.
Places you have travelled overseas, if any: I was raised in Florida, USA, but born in England. I lived in Florida for 8 years and England for 16.
Sport(s) you play, if any: Basketball, but not any more since I came back to England.
Sports team(s) you support: Orlando Magic.
What you would/did name your first born child: I never really thought about this, because I doubt I'll find someone compatible for me, to have kids with. I have a feeling I'll likely have to adopt children to have kids.
Worst injury you've had: Every skateboarding failed attempt on a trick.
Drink/Smoke?: Nope.
What time do you usually go to bed/wake up: My sleeping schedule is random, thanks to dialysis. It gives me insomnia sometimes.
Favourite colour: Red
Favourite food: Mexican food
Favourite alcoholic drink: I don't drink.
Why people like you: Because I act like myself.
What people dislike about you: Because I'm overly verbally expressive and honest.
Best achievement in life: Cutting out the negative people in my life and figuring out what I want to do with my life.
Why you belong to this forum: I'm interested in how other people cope with dialysis.
A.everett81

« Reply #230 on: April 03, 2014, 08:20:04 PM »

First name: Anthony
Nickname (irl): Diesel
Location (be a bit specific): Rancho Cucamonga, CA
YOUR RENAL STATUS: HD MWF
What you do for a living: Selector in a grocery warehouse
What you want to do for a living: Still trying to figure that one out lol
Relationship status: Engaged to be married this august
Siblings: Two younger sisters
Pets: none
Three bands you would consider to be your favourite: Hard to choose just 3. Lionel Richie and the Commodores, Slaughterhouse, and Linkin Park
Places you have travelled overseas, if any: Is Mexico considered overseas?
Sport(s) you play, if any: Football in high school now Im a fan of racket ball and softballl
Sports team(s) you support: The Boston Celtics, Minnesota Vikings and the Dodgers
What you would/did name your first born child: My oldest sons name is Tanner
Worst injury you've had: Had a tooth knocked out in high school
Drink/Smoke?: I have a drink on special occasions and I dont smoke
What time do you usually go to bed/wake up: I try to be in bed around 9 or so and up at 3am for work
Favourite colour: Blue
Favourite food: Mexican
Favourite alcoholic drink: Jack and coke
Why people like you: Hmmm, I wonder this myself from time to time lol.
What people dislike about you: I can have a short temper when Im frustrated.
Best achievement in life: Losing 140 lbs and convincing the woman I love to marry me
Why you belong to this forum: Its nice to have a group of people to talk to who understand what Im dealing with.
shayron1982

1 Corinthians 13

« Reply #231 on: April 03, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »

First name: Sharon
Nickname (irl): ShayRon, Shay Pooty
Location (be a bit specific): Greenville, SC, USA
YOUR RENAL STATUS: ~7% function, PD on Baxter HomeChoice Pro Cycler Started 2/1/14
What you do for a living: Mommy
What you want to do for a living: Interior Decorator
Relationship status: In A Relationship
Siblings: 1 sis, 2 half sis, 2 half bro
Pets: 2 English Bulldogs: Tubbs & Carolina, Chihuahua: Layla, Mix Breed Dog: Rocky
Three bands you would consider to be your favourite: Fleetwood Mac, Bob Seegar, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Heart....and on & on & on
Places you have travelled overseas, if any: NONE...no planes or boats for me
Sport(s) you play, if any: None
Sports team(s) you support: Clemson Tigers
What you would/did name your first born child: Chance Christopher
Worst injury you've had: This dang PD cath!!!
Drink/Smoke?: Nope
What time do you usually go to bed/wake up: INSOMNIA
Favourite colour: GREEN
Favourite food: Fresh Guacamole
Favourite alcoholic drink: used to be Vodka/Cranberrry
Why people like you: Im funny
What people dislike about you: Im too funny when I should be serious.
Best achievement in life: Chance & Calli
Why you belong to this forum: I am blindly floating through ESRD & needed advice from people that have been there.            :flower;

~Sharon~
Diagnosed with FSGS 2003
AV Fistula upper right arm 2007
On transplant list @ MUSC 2008
PD Cath placed 2013
Started PD at home 2014
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #232 on: July 26, 2015, 06:58:04 AM »

My update :

In December 2014 it was time for me to “give in” and start dialysis.
... and I am currently going through my transplant work-up to be put on the transplant-waiting-list... :grouphug;
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 01:51:26 PM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #233 on: December 25, 2018, 02:54:56 AM »

My update:
In November 2018 I was called to receive my special gift, my kidney-transplant and right now I am (still) very slowly recovering from the operation and I also try to get used to the "heavy" medication (no side-effects as such, but extremely tiring and I feel totally exhausted), but nevertheless, I can already notice the good results of having a working kidney and hopefully I soon can get back to my usual self again. Nevertheless, I am extremely grateful for the gift of a perfectly "fitting" and working kidney transplant. :grouphug;
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 03:00:05 AM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #234 on: December 29, 2018, 05:15:23 PM »

My update:
In November 2018 I was called to receive my special gift, my kidney-transplant and right now I am (still) very slowly recovering from the operation and I also try to get used to the "heavy" medication (no side-effects as such, but extremely tiring and I feel totally exhausted), but nevertheless, I can already notice the good results of having a working kidney and hopefully I soon can get back to my usual self again. Nevertheless, I am extremely grateful for the gift of a perfectly "fitting" and working kidney transplant. :grouphug;
That's great Kristina!   :cheer:

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
SweetyPie

« Reply #235 on: December 29, 2018, 10:19:10 PM »

First name: Aaisha (i-sha)
Nickname (irl): 
Location (be a bit specific): Alexandria Virginia
YOUR RENAL STATUS: FSGS age 4, kidney transplant age 13, failed  kidney transplant age 14, peritoneal dialysis age 15-21, hemo 21- now
What you do for a living: in school
What you want to do for a living: nephrology nurse
Relationship status: single
Siblings: 2 sisters age 25 and 15 and one brother age 24
Pets: kitty named chico :)
Three bands you would consider to be your favourite: 
Places you have travelled overseas, if any: london, Canada, Pakistan, Qatar
Sport(s) you play, if any: did karate for 7 years
Sports team(s) you support: 
What you would/did name your first born child: if i had a boy: Adam if girl: still can't decide
Worst injury you've had: nothing major
Drink/Smoke?: nop3
What time do you usually go to bed/wake up: go to bed 12am wake up 11ish. But dialysis days im up at 5am and dont sleep much the night before. My sleeping schedule is messed up
Favourite colour: pastel pink, blue purple, mauve
Favourite food: pizza
Favourite alcoholic drink: 
Why people like you: sincere, good personality, always happy and positive, hilarious
What people dislike about you: freak out quickly
Best achievement in life: once i graduate college that will be it
Why you belong to this forum: when i first started hemo and wasnt tolerating treatments people on this forum came up with answers to help me when my doctor just told me to deal with it. It was the hardest time of my life. I owe it to these people.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #236 on: December 30, 2018, 02:06:05 AM »

My update:
That's great Kristina!   :cheer:
Many thanks okarol for your lovely comment, it is very much appreciated. Fortunately my body and my thinking both are noticeably getting better after the transplant-operation and I am enjoying it very much, even though I have to go for "walkies" to the bathroom not only during the day but all through the night as well, but that is understandable, since I have to drink water "like a fish" and yesterday - for the first time - I drank almost 3 and a half liters of water with two cups of coffee "thrown in as well" ... :bow;
Thanks again from Kristina and I do hope, Jenna and all of your family are doing well?  :grouphug;

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
« previous next »