I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:59:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Are essential oil good for anxiety and better sleep?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are essential oil good for anxiety and better sleep?  (Read 1784 times)
Hereware

« on: October 07, 2020, 02:24:09 AM »

Chronic pain and illnesses make us more anxious about everything that it affects how we sleep. That, in the long run, will affect our health even more. I've heard about essential oils being used for anxiety, stress, and insomnia. Has anyone of you tried this yet?
frugallyzing

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 06:40:18 PM »

Essential oils are good for destressing. They make the room smell nice, thus the better mood. It helps with anxiety because most of the oils have a calming effect like spearmint and lavender.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 04:08:14 AM »

Of course, nice-smelling oils etc. might have a calming effect and the same goes for Perfumes etc.

... But we must not ignore the fact that these days so many people suffer from asthma-attacks and if you ever have witnessed an asthma-sufferer reacting to a Perfume-scent, it is a very shocking experience and certainly makes you think again about essential oils, Perfumes etc.

Just imagine : a little faint Perfume-smell in a train, tube etc. can trigger a major  asthma-attack in a sufferer and that just would not be fair...
Just my  :twocents;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Alexysis

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 04:24:35 PM »

My take is that "essential oils" are just the latest pseudo-scientific snake oil cures, nothing more than mumbo-jumbo for the gullible.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 04:49:37 PM »

So the real question becomes "Are essential oils essential?".

There is a reason all the snake oil cures have the FDA required disclaimer that the product they claim will cure your problem is not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any medical condition.
Alexysis

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 08:37:30 AM »

So the real question becomes "Are essential oils essential?".

There is a reason all the snake oil cures have the FDA required disclaimer that the product they claim will cure your problem is not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any medical condition.

Of course, none of these companies are allowed to claim that their elixir can "cure" anything, so they resort to creating online sockpuppets and gullible dupes to come to places like this do that.
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 09:32:48 AM »

I don't follow the essential oils train and my eyes roll back into my head when someone starts jammering on about all these supposed solutions. That said, I made a "Chernobyl mix" of peppermint, cloves and lemongrass that got rid of my ant problem (without affecting the sensitive lungs of pets). My only experience.
Hereware

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 09:55:47 PM »

It has something to do with our sense of smell, hence the aromatherapy. It may affects the mood and maybe that of the sleep. It can help our perception of pain. However, it can do a little to none for chronic illnesses.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 07:56:32 AM »

Ranks right up there with laetrile and crystal therapy.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 08:34:40 AM »

"Essential" oils are named thusly not because they are "necessary", rather, they are labelled as such because they are unadulterated by additives.  They are made to be used in conjunction with creams or lotions because they are very strong and don't always smell nice.

I do believe that "essential" oils can play a large role in de-stressing.  We all have a gut response to aromas, whether it comes in the form of a lavender field or of your favorite food.  Without the sense of smell, we cannot taste much.  There is a reason that, say, laundry detergent manufacturers put fragrance in their products.  Not everyone appreciates that, but most shoppers do.

My husband and I visit a lavender farm in Michigan each year on our summer hols.  As soon as I get out of the car, I can feel my shoulders relax and a big silly grin form on my face.  There is a reason many people enjoy a walk in the woods; the smell of foliage is a mood-lifter. 

That said, I'm dubious about crystal therapy.  I don't understand what that's all about.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Alexysis

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 03:46:29 PM »

I guess "Chinese herbs" are out of fashion now? That was the big thing in snake-oil 'cures' about 2 years ago. Maybe COVID showed the idiots that medicine in China ain't all that....
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 03:43:44 AM »

Hi, I don’t know about sleep etc, but I make my own cremes and salves with them. I made an anti itch creme with Eucerin deep moisture lotion, and added teatree oil, hazel with, baobab; peppermint as my phosphate and calcium are way high, and it works a treat.

:twocents;

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »