I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:22:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Baxter deliveries?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baxter deliveries?  (Read 2974 times)
Larry Robinson

« on: May 14, 2020, 11:38:20 AM »

I do PD with Fresenius, who use Baxter to deliver dialysate to me every four weeks ago. Last month Baxter announced that they were no longer going to deliver the 36 cases upstairs to my bedroom, out of concerns for COVID-19.

Has anyone else run into this? What did you end up doing? Carrying everything up the stairs is a problem for me, since I had a (mild) heart attack a couple of years back. And it's not like the average dialysis patient is a linebacker. I wish they had given me the option of either carrying them upstairs or leaving them in my garage.

My region of New York (Southern Tier) is officially opening up, but Baxter isn't changing their policy. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks, Larry
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 12:24:16 AM »

If not already I would let Fresenius know about this. Seems to me that if masks are worn then maybe the boxes could at least be placed just inside your door for you. Covid-19 has sure screwed with peoples lives in many ways! Hope you get some help with it.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
rcjordan

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 01:02:38 PM »

We had the same happen with Fresenius NxStage supplies.  Our notification said to arrange help with a family member or friend. 

Coastal US, NE North Carolina
2018 right nephrectomy - cancer. Left kidney not filtering, start hemo. After 3 months, start Nxstage home hemo
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 06:08:22 PM »

I hate it when people (or Fresenius or Baxter) just assumes everyone has "people". Not everyone is lucky enough to have a support system. Perhaps if Larry lives in an apartment they will allow one of their maintenance men to help him with the boxes. Our apartment staff is still handling service calls, they wear masks. Don't know if they'd help with boxes but perhaps they would. Or a neighbor? 

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 10:26:17 PM »

Contact your church, or local support group to see if you can arrange volunteers to help carry in your supplies.  As last resort check with your social worker.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 05:45:45 AM »

Contact your church, or local support group to see if you can arrange volunteers to help carry in your supplies.  As last resort check with your social worker.
+++ this.  Many regions have COVID help groups on Facebook and the like.  I'm sure with some poking around a group could be help that have people ready and willing to help.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 06:49:11 AM »

taskrabbit.com can be used to solve the problem but it will co$t.
Tío Riñon

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 09:31:25 AM »

This is definitely a problem!  Baxter will drop the shipment just inside the building (house, apartment complex, assisted living foyer, etc.), but won't venture much further.  I have opted to have them put part of the delivery on my front porch and the remainder in my garage.  Luckily, I have friends and family who will help me move boxes to my bedroom as needed.

Definitely speak with your nurse and/or social worker at the DaVita/Fresenius clinic to see if they have any suggestions.  I'm sure you aren't the only person in this situation. 

You can also try posting a request for assistance on the NextDoor website, churches, or other local service groups.  I've been pleasantly surprised by offers of help by neighbors to help other as I review these sites.

Good luck!  Let us know if you find a solution to your dilemma.

Larry Robinson

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 07:12:41 AM »

Thanks to all for their suggestions! Right now I'm carrying the dialysate from the garage to the stairs, and relying on my wife to carry the cases upstairs.

I am disappointed at Fresenius corporate (not my clinic) for not really doing anything to support its customers.

I did reach out to the NY state COVID-19 help line, who suggested contacting my county health department and the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance. So that was helpful.

Thank you all for your thoughts and helpful suggestions,
Larry
mamagemini

It's all me.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 01:27:36 PM »

I was lucky enough to have the nurse from the clinic come over and bring in my boxes for me one time. They left it outside in the sprinklers and sunlight!! Now I have them bringing into my garage. They are not to leave any of my boxes outside!!
During Covid they left them in the garage and I have my son or his girlfriend bring them in.

FSGS/Nephrotic syndrome 2005
AV Fistula placed right arm inside elbow 4/2012
Started HD 9/7/2012
Started PD Oct 2015
Parathyroid removed 6/2019
Cellulitis in Fistula 8/2019
RT arm Fistula removed 9/2019
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 06:30:46 AM »

Cost savings measures are addictive.   I've worked in companies that pulled back on some things like lavish holiday parties when sales shrank, but when the sales eventually returned there was no rolling back of austerity measures.

I've give better than even odds that the "deliver inside the house" option either never comes back, or is only available when the medical support team determines the patient lacks both the ability to do it him/herself and a support system to take care of the interior move of the boxes.
Larry Robinson

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 10:15:29 AM »

Just a quick note to Baxter has resumed delivering supplies up to my second floor bedroom. Life is good again!
Seaweed

Great day to be alive and thankful

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 06:03:54 PM »

Hi Larry i just went on home hemo. I have 2 story home so. I move downstairs nxstage only delivers to the garage
Its good to know what your issue are
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »