I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:03:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Profiteering B*****ds
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Profiteering B*****ds  (Read 1866 times)
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« on: March 19, 2020, 11:17:11 AM »

:rant;

In my local shop, toilet rolls cost £1.69 for nine rolls, which works out at 21p each. They ran out today, not a problem for me, I have about two weeks in reserve. But my neighbour is running out. So he went down the road to try and find another shop. He did. But they had split the packets up, and are selling the rolls at a pound each roll. Nearly five times the real price. I hope, when this is all over, his customers go elsewhere and he goes out of business.

The stupid thing is, supermarkets are guaranteeing to keep supplies in stock, but are limiting people to two packets on most things, and often sell out by closing time (restocking the following morning). If people stay calm, there is no need to be ripped off (my neighbour did not stay calm, he ended up paying £6.00 for £1.26 worth of toilet rolls).

In war time, profiteers could be shot.... Just a thought.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 12:11:11 PM »

In many cases, profiteers make product available.   Higher prices reduce stockpiling of strategic reserves (like the 75 rolls of TP in my closet).

Would you rather have TP available at $5 a roll or not available at $1 a roll?

WTF?  You want $2000 for that generator? The guy down the street charges $1000
----Ok, go buy it from him
He's out
----When I'm out my price is $800

Do you thing your friend would even have the option of buying any TP if the high priced guy charged his normal price?    Another term for "normal price" in this situation is "below market price".

My local shop lets people over 60, the disabled and immune compromised in 1 hour before regular opening for small crowds but, coincidentally, that's the only time they have any paper towels, TP or bottled water available.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 12:13:33 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »