I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:05:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Expandable shoes designed in Alaska
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Expandable shoes designed in Alaska  (Read 2851 times)
iolaire
Elite Member

« on: October 30, 2019, 10:22:54 AM »

I read all kinds of news and blogs via an RSS feed reader (BazQux).  On the blog of a venture capitalist I read the write up of a company in Anchorage who is designing in the USA and selling expandable shoes made in Portugal:
https://feld.com/archives/2019/10/pandere-shoes-anchorage-startups-and-techstars.html

Pandere Shoes are adjusted using pull strings. They are costly in the $170 range, but they seem much more stylish than the Velcro style shoes I see diabetics wearing.  They do have one model that uses Velcro for the main closure and strings for adjustments.  I think the key is the designs are for everyday use and are made to be more normal shoes that adjust to swelling, not some sort of medical aide.

MOVED:  to off- topic Not related to dialysis. kitkatz-admin
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 02:17:10 PM by kitkatz » Logged

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 02:51:51 PM »

Here in Britain there exists a small company called "Cosyfeet" and they specialize in expandable shoes and the shoes not only look fashionable, but they are very cosy to wear, especially when the size of swollen feet changes regularly. The adjustable, touch fastening straps on these shoes can be easily adjusted for extra room, extra widths etc. plus extra depth etc. and they don't look medical at all. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 12:10:32 PM »

Wow.  I didn't know such a thing existed.  I'm wondering if something like that could work for someone like me.  My feet don't swell (much) but they are oddly shaped.  I have a hard time finding shoes that fit properly.  My feat are small, short, and wide, and the only sizes I've found that are even close are a boys size 4.  Unfortunately, those are usually warn by boys around 7 years old, and most have superheroes on them, which might look strange on a women in her 40s.  8)

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 08:30:14 AM »

Growing up barefoot in the desert my toes are very straight as not being crowded or pinched inside shoes my feet were free to grow naturaly.  Thus it is difficult to find shoes the do not pinch the outside edge of my big toes.

These expandable may be neat for those with feet that swell.  My problem with shoes is the stupid designers that round off the front of the shoes so much they impinge on toes.

Toes need room.  I Believe a well fitting shoe or boot to have a proper width 'toe box' as measuring at the widest part of the foot is fine, except my big toes stay that wide all the way to the tips, and most all shoes begin to taper in from that widest spot, thus crowding the outside edge of  my big toe, deforming the nail and causing pain.

Warmer weather I wear open sandals, they fit perfectly, but they are a problem in the snow.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 10:32:20 PM »

Warmer weather I wear open sandals, they fit perfectly, but they are a problem in the snow.

I can agree with that.  I have my boys size 4 sandals that I bought at Walmart almost 20 years ago.  At the same time, a friend bought a pair for her 4 year old son.  He has grown out of his, but I still wear mine, and I will until they fall apart.  I tend to wear them from mid to late May till late October or early November.  Bare feet in the snow isn't as fun as it sounds.  It actually kinda burns.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Hereware

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 07:38:11 PM »

I did not there are shoes that are designed for such purpose. It is amazing! Good sharing  :2thumbsup;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »