I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:05:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  The Sports Page
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Sports Page  (Read 2402 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: January 14, 2020, 02:13:23 PM »

Would anyone here like to discuss sports of any kind? 

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 12:08:02 PM by MooseMom » Logged

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:43:30 PM »

Sure, but  :shy; I don’t know American sports besides say, some NHL stuff. Probably not the person you’re looking for then! General Olympic sports stuff is okay to talk about and perhaps... ski ballet!

I watch a lot of sports though of like Olympic events of the different federations.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 03:10:39 PM »

I'm happy to talk about/learn about any sport, not just American sports.

I'm very much looking forward to the Olympics.  When I was in London last October, I really enjoyed watching the World Championships in Stuttgart.  The track events were so exciting.  And who wouldn't be entertained by Simone Biles?

The Australian Open (tennis) has already started with qualifying but is experiencing problems because of air pollution caused by the terrible bush fires.  The main event starts in a few days, and I am eager to see if Serena Williams will be able to add another slam to her total, and will Roger Federer defy the ageing process once again?  I was hoping Andy Murray would be able to compete, but he has had to pull out due to injury (not his hip).

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 04:25:49 PM »

Yes, very much looking forward to Tokyo 2020 too! I prefer the Winter Games but the summer edition still brings the same pangs of excitement.

I’ve been following the drama going on with the show jumping and dressage teams. Canada lost their qualification spot due to a failed (human) drug test that the rider claims occurred when she drank a certain tea at the Pan Ams. Really emotional as Lamaze is battling cancer and said 2020 would’ve been his last Games.

And then, different teams may have one their regional qualifications (Ukraine in jumping) (Brazil and South Africa for dressage) but failed to achieve certificates of capability in time, so thus, lost spaces. The Ukraine situation is just a giant facepalm because the following teams were just so so so much worse already in a low quality region (Eastern Europe). It would be funny if it wasn’t so dangerous for horses and riders.

I watched the World Champs from Stuttgart too! One thing I enjoy about artistic gymnastics is the diversity of nations, such as individual events, who still manage to get someone on the podium. That said, on the women’s side, yes, one can’t help but be mesmerized by the dominance of Simone Biles! If all goes well (as I truly hope for all), she looks in fine form to pretty much make history in Tokyo!

I cannot say I follow tennis much but I do know of the household names that you mentioned. The air quality seems to be the major overhanging issue over the event and undoubtedly so! I can’t even imagine having to perform at the top level with such air, can you imagine? Serena is just so dominant (when healthy!) that good bets should always be placed on her.

The Auckland Open is still going on! Haha, only know this because my television listings were trying to persuade me to watch Shapovalov versus Pospisil.

Hope someone else joins in, especially a tennis fan, to 1. give a better tennis chat 2. keep this fun thread going!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 07:50:30 PM »

I like watching pretty horses and their pretty riders do their equestrian thing at the Olympics, and I know the difference between show jumping and dressage, but I don't know enough about either sport to have a full understanding of the scoring.  I'll make a point to watch more of it from Tokyo this summer.  Our cable package includes the new-ish Olympic Channel, so I'll get to see more of sports that I can't usually access like the equestrian events.  Like most sports, the behind the scenes drama is often as entertaining as what goes on on tv.

I agree with you about the diversity of athletes on display in the gymnastics events, particularly in the men's events.  One year recently when I was in London, I watched the gymnastics World Championships; I think they were in Glasgow (sorry, I don't remember).  The cool thing about that was that even though the American women's team was so dominant, the BBC focused on the UK team, naturally, when I had not even realized there WAS a UK team!  Astonishingly, that year both the men's and women's teams medalled, a national first, I do believe.

I watched the WTA (women's tennis) event in Auckland, and it was nice to see Serena Williams win her first title since the 2017 Australian Open.  That particular grand slam is tough; it's on hard court, it's hot, and as all Slams, it takes an entire fortnight to end up with a winner. 

It's NFL conference championship weekend, and who would have possibly guessed that the Patriots and the Saints would not be competing this weekend?

Baseball is awash in controversy.  I grew up watching the Astros; my first crush was on their third basement in 1965.  So now that they've been "convicted" of sign stealing/just plain cheating, as they were winning their first World Series in franchise history, well, it's heartbreaking, not to mention deeply disturbing.  They deserve their punishment.  I just wish the players themselves would say something publicly, and the fact that they are not talking to the fans really is offputting. 

I dunno.  I grew up on American football; my family had season tickets for a decade.  But it has become so corporate that it just is not fun, anymore.  And everyone is saying that in baseball, "everyone is cheating", and I don't really want to watch a bunch of cheaters.  So, when I am in the mood for watching sports, I now tend to watch just about anything BUT the NFL and MLB.  It's a bit dispiriting.  But that means I have more time for other sports!  YAY!

UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 08:07:37 AM »

Unless one follows horse sport, scoring IS complicated to the average viewer. That’s why there are proposed changes for scoring in Tokyo (to make it easier to understand, because of the lack of general interest). It’s complicated, I won’t get into it LOL but some TOP riders are fuming angry about it. At an FEI (International Equestrian Federation) and International Jumping Riders general meeting, fur flew! One legend in the sport Ludger Beerbaum argued that the Olympic Committee hasn’t considered animal welfare in the new system. It will be interesting to see how all of this pans out.

At London 2012, I think a lot of non-horsey people tuned in just to see Rafalca - Ann Romney’s horse, who has since retired.  LOL. Horse ballet jokes galore!

I vaguely remember the success of Team GB gymnastics. They seemed to really have a solid crew on both sides at the time but puttered out. Still, they medaled (individuals, that is) in Stuttgart, which really says something. Coverage obviously depends on location as here in Canada they hype the local athletes, besides the legends like Biles. Call me a little kooky, but I’m always interested when athletes from North Korea show up.

Funnily enough, we had no figure skating on television. It streamed online on the national broadcasters sports site, but not televised. This is obviously because main (or those with chances of placing) Canadian skaters are on breaks or retired. All of that said, women’s skating in Russia is mind boggling in regard to competition. The Olympic champion Zagitova is on a career break because she needs to regroup! Imagine that.. because young girls are out there doing quad jumps!

I know S. Williams experienced a series of setbacks in recent years, but was her last title in 2017? Wow! Everyone was glued to their sets for her meetings with Andreescu here. (I didn’t watch...hehe). But the teen’s victories over Williams gave her utmost star status.

I can’t discuss much about baseball or American football. My husband is probably the only man on the continent that has no interest in the Super Bowl (although he likes the sales on snack food!). However, when it comes to cheating, that obviously I know of very well!

Lastly, yes, so many major sports leagues become much too corporate because at the end of the day, sports are part of the wider entertainment industry.  Viewership and profits. Fans and actual games are what keep it all interesting. It must be disheartening for people like you that have strong family memories and nostalgia related to “simpler” or truer times.

Time for other sports is just as fun. Personally, I’m not so into it, but I get dragged into watching a lot of speed skating and playing on the slide board at home!

Hopefully those who can feed your thirst for MLB and NFL can join and discuss those situations more deeply!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 02:54:11 PM »

I certainly remember Rafalca!  The horse ballet jokes were funny.

I was always an Evgenia Medvedeva fan myself, but she sort of imploded after her Olympic loss of the gold medal to Zagitova.  But yes, the young girls doing quads will change the sport. 

Staying with ice skating, I'm a real fan of the French ice dance team Zapadakis/Cizeron and also of the French pairs, James/Cipres.  They make it all look so easy, which is the real trick.

UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 03:39:21 PM »

You’re spot on about Medvedeva’s implosion. This past season she experienced a lot of setbacks which is sad, like a broken skate at the Russian nationals. She is undoubtedly one of the most smooth and beautiful skaters, but obviously, jumps are a huge concern now. She had so much quality, but now, it’s all about the big scores from the high scoring elements. Seems as though she likes living in Canada though!

Yes, I’m with you about both of the French duos. The ice dancers create such beautiful and almost fantasy-like programs. James/Cipres bring a lot of energy that makes them enjoyable to watch all the time.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »