I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:37:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Desperate situation in Australia .
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Desperate situation in Australia .  (Read 3149 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« on: January 03, 2020, 02:08:23 PM »

Today I have seen many terrible pictures and have heard gruesome reports about the fires in Australia and my thoughts are with all the Australians. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 08:11:57 PM »

I have a childhood friend who lives in Australia; she has been posting on Facebook about the fires, one of which destroyed a coastal town in which she and her husband had a time share.  It's like the world is about to end!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 06:45:50 AM »

They will no doubt get a special assessment to make the management company that is the de-facto real owner of the timeshare whole.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 09:37:36 AM »

They will no doubt get a special assessment to make the management company that is the de-facto real owner of the timeshare whole.

I have no idea.  That's not really the point.  The entire town is gone.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 06:46:29 PM »

This has been happening for months. All of that part of Australia has been at risk for months. In most countries, the population of any town in the "at risk" area would get together and chop a fire break around the town. Seems that the Australians were too lazy to do this, they expected "someone else" to do it for them. Then when they lost everything, they blamed the Prime Minister for not personally saving their town.

Although they have my sympathy, they have no one to blame but themselves. A little cooperative tree chopping down would have saved their towns.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Sue

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 09:39:54 PM »

Thank you Kristina for your kind thoughts for Australia X
Paul I have no intention to get into a conversation or debate regarding the fires in Australia, you clearly have no understanding of the situation. Lives have been lost, many homes lost , thousands of acres of bushland destroyed , millions of animals lost. I can assure you that 'chopping a few trees down' would not have stopped this inferno. My old mum used to say that sometimes " It's better to remain silent etc etc "

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 02:12:59 AM »

Hello Sue and I do hope this letter finds you as well as can be and it is lovely to "see" you again.
I do hope some way can be found to stop these horrific fires a.s.a.p. and I send you my best wishes and my thoughts are with all the Australian people and I am very sorry for what is happening to so many homes and lives.
Take great care and best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Sue

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 05:57:27 AM »

Thank you Kristina X

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 06:08:42 PM »

I can assure you that 'chopping a few trees down' would not have stopped this inferno.

Of course "'chopping a few trees down" would been of no use whatsoever. I was talking about full sized fire breaks. This is where wide strips are cleared of trees, bushes, and anything flammable. The gap has to be wide enough that fires cannot cross it. The US forestry agency use them all the time, and when they do, it works. Similar cases in America to what is now happening in Australia was blamed on a relaxation in the building of fire breaks. And in most places, the fire was stopped by enormous fire breaks being constructed.

Paul......you clearly have no understanding of the situation.

Actually my comments were based on what the survivors said. They claimed that their homes would have been saved if the government had built these fire breaks. My anger was caused by the fact that when it became obvious that the government was not going to do this, they could not be arsed to do it themselves. They just sat back and hoped it would rain. Then afterwards blamed their prime minister for not building fire breaks.

Your comment "you clearly have no understanding of the situation" is unhelpful in the extreme, because I was basing it on statements made by people who lived through the fires, who have lost everything. So who am I to believe? The people who suffered from the fires,who were actually there, or you, who watched it on TV and decided you know better than the people who were actually there? I think you should seriously consider your mother's advice yourself.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Sue

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 09:52:15 PM »

You are right that back burning would have been helpful in containing some of the fires Paul.
I obviously also owe you an apology, I thought that you were in the UK watching the fires burn here in Australia on TV.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »