I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:51:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Simple Machines Forum Issues/Announcements
| |-+  Forum software issues and bugs
| | |-+  Software update
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Software update  (Read 4542 times)
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« on: December 29, 2019, 07:05:09 AM »

I will be updating forum software from 2.0.15 to 2.0.16 sometime today.   Expect minimal downtime, but I will be backing up everything first just in case.

Here is why I am doing this on short notice (from the SMF web site):

Simple Machines has released a new patch to the 2.0.x line of SMF, bringing our latest release version to 2.0.16.

We consider this patch to be of crucial importance, as it includes important security and bug fixes, as well as support for the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requirements. We recommend updating as soon as possible.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 07:21:31 AM »

Done, though I am not sure if there are any issues with the mobile theme.  Please report any problems in this thread.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 02:03:49 PM »

Thanx again Simon Dog  :beer1;

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 12:26:03 PM »

Thanks sweetie.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 02:00:24 PM »

I have absolutely no clue about whatever it was you did, Simon Dog, but if we've noticed no problems, that shows you've done a great job!

I don't know what it takes to keep this site up and running, but I do know how to appreciate your efforts.  Thank you for all you've done since "taking over" the technical running of this site.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 03:01:26 PM »

I don't know what it takes to keep this site up and running, but I do know how to appreciate your efforts.  Thank you for all you've done since "taking over" the technical running of this site.

Unlike MooseMom, I DO know what it takes to run a site like this, so I really, really, really appreciate your work. Thanks for keeping it running smoothly.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 03:13:25 PM »

Unlike MooseMom, I DO know what it takes to run a site like this, so I really, really, really appreciate your work. Thanks for keeping it running smoothly.

LOL!  I hate computers.  I hate new tech.  I refuse to get a smart phone.  I just got a new flip phone.  I'm so proud.   :P

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 01:59:55 PM »

I refuse to get a smart phone.

Although I'm good with computers, I am not good with 'phones and had no interest in smart 'phones. I got given a basic phone , many years back and when it broke down, I simply went into a secondhand 'phone shop, showed him my broken 'phone and asked for exactly the same thing again. (It had to be a secondhand shop, because the model was discontinued, I could not get a new one.) My policy is that when you buy something new, the best type of learning curve is a flat line. Like you I had no interest in learning how to use a smart 'phone.

Then about five or six years ago my boss at the time asked me if I would mind him buying me a "company 'phone" so that he could always contact me. He promised that it would be a cheap very basic 'phone, so I said "yes". A couple of weeks later he handed me a top of the range (well top of the range back then) iPhone. I thanked him, probably not as graciously as I should have done, and since his company was paying for all the calls on it, it became my main 'phone.

When I became disabled and could no longer do the job, he told me to keep the 'phone (although I now had to pay for the contract). I managed to blow it up a few months back. By then I could no longer do without a smart 'phone, the extra functions and apps are wonderful. So to replace it I simply bought another iPhone. (Although it was another secondhand purchase, because it was an old model, and I could not get a new one of exactly the same model.) Six years ago, my friends would have told you that I would never use an iPhone, now I cannot do without one!

For Christmas I was given a VR headset for the iPhone as a present. I immediately downloaded an app, and spent a happy few hours wandering around a 3D prehistoric landscape watching dinosaurs walking about. I bet your flip 'phone could not do that!

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 02:24:41 PM »

Several years ago, I was boarding a flight from Heathrow back to Chicago.  Completely randomly and as one final security check, I was picked out of the line and was asked to have my phone examined.  I smiled and said, "I'll do that as long as you promise not to laugh.  I have a flip phone."

I gave her my phone, and SHE LAUGHED!!!  LOL!

My husband has a smart phone provided by his employer.  And yep, it is useful.  I absolutely understand how useful it could be.  We often go to a nearby coffee shop to read and sip coffee, and while I am reading an actual BOOK, he is playing monopoly on his phone.  He has several apps that I do enjoy.

And because I see how useful they are, we are now discussing what we will do, phone wise, once he retires.  Like you, he'll probably get to keep the phone but will have to pick up the contract.  I will probably end up getting a smart phone, too.  But I will resist as long as possible.

My phone doesn't let me watch dinosaurs, but I do have an e-reader with is very useful as I am an avid reader.  It is great on transatlantic flights! 

I could complain about how smart phones get hacked and they keep track of you, but I realize that computers are no guarantees to privacy, either.  I am happy to learn how to use a smart phone; how difficult can it be?  But there's just something about them and their pervasiveness that I find myself resenting.  But that's just me being ornery!

Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 03:06:44 PM »

I do have an e-reader with is very useful as I am an avid reader.  It is great on transatlantic flights! 

You are more up to date than me on that, I prefer the ones printed on paper (books).

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 03:16:03 PM »

I MUCH prefer books!  My library is my second home.  When I go on holiday, I take a whole bag of books.  But that is just not an option when flying.

AND I can download a couple of apps!  I get apps after all!  But they're not games apps, nothing "fun".  I have one that provides white noise which is nice if I'm in a hotel, and I have another one that is a torch that is also useful if I'm in an unfamiliar place.

I suspect that if I played more games, maybe I'd be a more fun person!?

Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 05:50:50 AM »

I have preferred ebooks ever since I started reading on my palm pilot.  It was nice to have multiple books to choose from plus the fact my apartment was getting full of books and bookcases.  Now on my iPad and iPhone I have access to several thousand books, I mostly read on my 12.9 inch iPad but in a pinch I can continue reading on my iPhone, yes I occasionally buy books, but they are ones I can’t get ebooks for, my last hard cover purchase was of a full set of Samual Elliot Morrison History  of US Navy in WWII all 15 volumes bought on Amazon for 100 dollars.
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 12:08:22 PM »

I love and collect old pulp magazines (sci-fi and detective) from the first half of the 20th century. For my 50th birthday my sister gave me a pile of DVDs containing pulp magazines as PDF files to read on my computer or laptop (and if I ever get round to working out how to transfer them, on my tablet too). There are more than I could read in my lifetime, even if I live another hundred years. I need no more pulp magazines. But I still occasionally buy them on eBay and from comic collector shops, because I prefer reading them on paper.

Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 12:24:12 PM »

I have preferred ebooks ever since I started reading on my palm pilot.

eBooks and brand new printed books can never give the same reading experience as secondhand books. If you read an old book you will find yourself getting more into the story as you read. The older the book, the better the experience. This is because paper rots slowly. The book may look as though it is in good condition, but if it is reasonably old it will be slightly rotten. The rot that eats the paper is called ergot's fungus, in the same way that yeast "urinates" alcohol, ergot's "urinates" a mild hallucinatory alkaloid. Some absorbs into your body via your fingers, not enough to get you "high" but enough to make the story you are reading feel more real and make reading it more pleasurable.

(Don't ever try eating old books. If digested the alkaloid it puts out will give you serious hallucinations, but it can also kill you. In the thirties an irresponsible scientist developed a drug based on this alkaloid, that drug is Lysergic Acid Diethylamide or more commonly called LSD.)

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 03:53:27 PM »

After I started dialysis I moved to kindle books from the library instead of hard cover books. It takes more wool to keep my kindle book hold requests maintained versus heading to the library and grabbing a book off the new release shelf.

But that being said I’ve stayed with them post transplant. I’ve had a few hard cover books and I find myself not taking them on the public transportation to work because of the weather or because I’m going out later. So now I’m hooked on free library ebooks in my pocket

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 09:29:08 PM »

For my 50th birthday my sister gave me a pile of DVDs containing pulp magazines as PDF files to
Oxymoron alert.
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 02:04:44 PM »

Oxymoron alert.

Pulp is a genre, it doesn't necessarily mean "paper".

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 09:39:19 PM »

Updating software sometime soon, probably the weekend of 2/15-16.2020.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=571067.0
Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 03:27:43 AM »

Updating software sometime soon, probably the weekend of 2/15-16.2020.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=571067.0

Reading through the link you gave, this shows why there is so much work for those people who keep software up to date. Just before Christmas you uploaded an update. Today you've gotta upload another update to fix a problem in the update that you uploaded before Christmas!  >:(

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2020, 10:06:22 PM »

Yeah, a real pain.  I expect this to take close to 15 minutes.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 01:50:20 PM »

Upgrade to 2.0.17 complete.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »