I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:38:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  COVID-19
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 15100 times)
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2020, 12:43:23 PM »

Just hanging around a hospital is a risk factor for MRSA.
justagirl2325

« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2020, 08:57:20 AM »

And CMV and VRE.  Hospitals are the worst at virus control.
enginist

« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2020, 05:58:35 PM »

If your hospital offers Telehealth for a consultation, would you use it or prefer an in-person appointment?  Which do you think your practitioner would prefer?  Do you think that hospitals are germ factories, to be avoided at all costs?  What if it's your first appointment with a new doctor?  What if you personally like and respect the members of your care team but haven't seem them since the pandemic began?  Do you think there is any value in a face-to-face encounter?
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2020, 08:41:12 PM »

If your hospital offers Telehealth for a consultation, would you use it or prefer an in-person appointment?  Which do you think your practitioner would prefer?  Do you think that hospitals are germ factories, to be avoided at all costs?  What if it's your first appointment with a new doctor?  What if you personally like and respect the members of your care team but haven't seem them since the pandemic began?  Do you think there is any value in a face-to-face encounter?

I had a telehealth consultation for my first appointment with a hematologist and felt comfortable with that, as did the doctor.  I was very grateful that this alternative was on offer.  But mine was a pretty straightforward case, so for me, it was perfect. 

I plan to ask for a telehealth consult with my tx neph next month for my annual checkup.  I get labs done regularly as I am supposed to, and I've had my tx long enough to recognize issues if I had them.  I have no issues so feel no need to put myself or others at risk with an in-person visit when those appointments mostly are just reviewing my labs and answering the usual questions.  If I felt the need to discuss something in person, then that's what I would do.

Yes, I think there is value in a face-to-face encounter if a patient has concerns or questions they may not quite know how to ask.  For someone with a new transplant or with ongoing issues, definitely there is value in such a visit.  I personally like and respect the members of my care team, but I don't want to put them at risk, just as I don't want to put myself at risk.  I also think about the other patients in the waiting room, the nurses, and the support staff, and that's just too many people involved in the whole in-person appointment adventure.

I do think hospitals are germ factories, but that does not mean I think they should be avoided at ALL costs.  I had to go to one or else I may have lost my kidney from severe dehydration, and I made the decision to take the risk that hospitals pose. 

I

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2020, 03:10:49 AM »

Hello enginist, this is an interesting question and I was wondering about it as well. Perhaps the consultation needs to be conducted according to your particular medical needs at this moment? If, for example, you are in pain and/or have swollen limbs i.e. swollen ankles etc. you most certainly need a medical examination by the doctor in person. Whereas if you just have a medical question and/or medical check-up, which only needs to be verbally explained and/or talked over, it might be much more safe for you to talk about it over the phone and/or see the doctor over the computer-facility?

Best wishes and good luck from Kristina. :grouphug;
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 03:14:23 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
enginist

« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2020, 09:03:13 AM »

Thanks, Kristina and MM.  For their sake as well as mine, I'll keep the visit virtual.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 05:06:54 PM by enginist » Logged
enginist

« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2020, 02:46:29 AM »

I had a teleconference with my new urologist.  The medium was effective but the communication was not.  The call was rushed and the guy didn't listen.  Few things are as bad as doctor who doesn't listen.  This was odd because he was recommended by my previous urologist, an outstanding physician.  Maybe the new one was having an off day.  Or maybe he doesn't have a good phone-side manner.  Either way, I hope it improves.  I don't want to go doc shopping, which involves a lot of luck and is often unproductive.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 01:12:12 PM by enginist » Logged
fifal9

« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2020, 10:07:42 AM »

I'm really sorry to hear that, enginist.
I guess I'm lucky that I've found the opposite to be true. I feel like when I went into the office the Dr was constantly looking at papers and not really listening to me.
Now he seems to listen and look me in the eye more often. I feel like we have almost real conversations and he is less rushed.
Maybe you can get them to do a tele-health appt. instead of a phone call. That way they can see you and have to look you in the eye.
enginist

« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2020, 02:27:05 PM »

Hey Jules--

You're probably right.  A doctor always has something to distract him in the clinic, even if he's on the phone.  I think my guy was trying to read and talk at the same time.  But something like FaceTime would force him to provide his full attention.

Hope you're still at Stage 3.
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2020, 07:58:18 PM »

Covid outbreak has spread to a transplant unit; one of the most active in the country: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/outbreak-at-university-hospital-spreads-to-organ-transplant-and-cardiac-units-1.5818957

Public health authorities are pinpointing staff saying they let their guards down during work breaks (I guess de-masking and getting close) and in other stories I read stating that the workers should have limited social contacts outside of work, but they didn't.

Hopefully the transplant patients currently on the floor (as well as the other sick patients) will be as okay as can be considering the situation.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2020, 10:32:39 PM »

Looks like a victory from the CA vaccine death panel:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/05/health/first-covid-vaccine-shipments-inadequate/index.html

The Covid-19 vaccine in California will now go first to acute care facilities, nursing homes, dialysis centers and first responders before going to groups like home healthcare workers.
Hereware

« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2020, 09:52:25 PM »

Looks like a victory from the CA vaccine death panel:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/05/health/first-covid-vaccine-shipments-inadequate/index.html

The Covid-19 vaccine in California will now go first to acute care facilities, nursing homes, dialysis centers and first responders before going to groups like home healthcare workers.

OMG!
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2020, 11:33:13 PM »

I apologize if this has already been addressed on the site, let me know and please direct me to the correct thread if it has...TIA. 

Question: If someone has recently been hospitalized for surgery, will they be asked to self-quarantine somewhere when they are discharged?

I suppose the answer/requirement will vary state-to-state or city-to-city, depending on where the person was hospitalized but, I am wondering if any of you have ran into this situation or know someone who has.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Xplantdad

Health is not valued till sickness comes. T.Fuller

« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2020, 08:07:31 AM »

My next door neighbor whose mom is on dialysis, just had surgery this past week, during the huge spike of cases here in AZ. He had to get a Covid test that showed negative before surgery-but is not required to quarantine

My daughter who is a transplant has to quarantine for 20 days due to being immunosuppressed (per Mayo and the CDC). Her quarantine is up on Tuesday...

My name is Bruce and I am the caregiver for my daughter Holly who is 31 years old and received her kidney transplant on December 22, 2016 :)
Holly's Facebook Kidney  page: https://www.facebook.com/Hollys.transplantpage/

Holly had a heart transplant at the age of 5 1/2 months in 1990. Heart is still doing GREAT!  :thumbup;
Holly was on hemodialysis for 2.5 years-We did NXStage home hemo from January 2016 to December 22, 2016
Holly's best Christmas ever occurred on December 22, 2016 when a compassionate family in their time of grief gave Holly the ultimate gift...a kidney!
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2020, 09:58:39 AM »

It varies across jurisdiction to be honest. Not in the US, so take this with a grain of salt.

Prior to surgery, my husband had to self-isolate for 14 days (he managed most of that, but not all) and had two COVID tests (both negative). This was required of anyone prior to surgery, local or not.

We traveled outside our region (same province) to a hot zone with a lockdown so that he could have surgery. As a public health requirement, we have to self-isolate for 14 days. However, had he been a local with no travel involved, no self-isolation was required post-surgery.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2020, 10:44:50 PM »

Thank you for your replies, Xplantdad and UT. Hubby has been in the hospital all week for a toe amputation and it got me thinking. So far they haven't said anything to him about self-quarantine but I am a little concerned because of the surge at hospitals and the fact that we are both immunocompromised. I've stayed away but wonder about when he is discharged.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2020, 01:12:42 AM »

I know that the issue has been a firestorm south of the border, but one good question to ask is whether the hospital your Mister Man is in has had an outbreak of covid recently? No space is 100% virus-proof but many have done well with preventing spread in the hospital.

Next time you speak with him (I Imagine that you are calling) advise him to ask directly to his doctor, or one leading his care, one with authority that pops in to see him, what will happen post-discharge in regard to isolation. That way he will be advised for sure (even if the med team don't mention it) and both of you can plan ahead.

Take care, Pea Tea.  :cuddle;
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2020, 12:51:38 AM »

Thank you for your replies, Xplantdad and UT. Hubby has been in the hospital all week for a toe amputation and it got me thinking. So far they haven't said anything to him about self-quarantine but I am a little concerned because of the surge at hospitals and the fact that we are both immunocompromised. I've stayed away but wonder about when he is discharged.

Dear PT,
Please ask the medics about this, but to me it would sound like common-sense for your husband to self-quarantine after his operation, especially during the Covid-Fear right now. He seems especially vulnerable at this moment because of his immunological-self-defence-mechanism being compromised for a while during the healing process after the operation. Please take great care and best wishes from Kristina.  :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »