I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:42:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Korean Kidney
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Korean Kidney  (Read 2344 times)
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« on: November 27, 2019, 03:14:49 PM »

Anyone here read Korean?    I got a beautiful two page letter (which looks like a work of art) from my donor's family and the organ services translation, but I want to get a second translation to compare.

Whooo Hooo!!  A Korean kidney.   Now I'm culturally diverse.   I like the idea of hosting an Asian kidney, but the letter I got put the associated tragedy in perspective.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 08:24:36 PM »

Try the Korean embassy they may be willing to translate, if not see there is a Korean culture center in New York (917) 453-8334.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 09:17:40 AM »

I've got some local offers I'll use.   I already have a translation from the organ service; I just want to see how closely another one matches.
Alexysis

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 08:19:37 AM »

If you have a smartphone, just download Google Translate.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 01:03:25 PM »

I tried online Google Translate providing a high-res scan of the letter.

This is a typical snippet of the English translation:

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 09:48:55 AM »

Hello Simon, I wish you good luck with the translation and what I have seen from the online-translation you have provided, it certainly looks like the ultimate puzzle...?
... Perhaps you could try and ask someone who understands the language i.e. Korean Community Center etc. to figure out what the family writes to you and please take into account the very delicate political division which might make it difficult for the family if you would ask the Embassy for some help with the translation ?

I wish you good luck with your new kidney (  :2thumbsup; ) and also good luck with the translation of this letter from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 12:15:28 PM »

I found someone on one of the other forums I use who can arrange the translation.

I have a pretty good idea since donor services sent a translation; I just want a second opinion as there was one material fact that was wrong the writer referenced - which could have also crept in from the translation from my English.

I hope to someday meet this family to thank them in person.

Now I suppose I have to develop a taste for kimchee.
Alexysis

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 02:23:28 PM »

When I saw the tag for your post, I thought; 'Korean kidney? Is that spicy? do they serve it with banchan?'
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 02:39:41 PM »

When I saw the tag for your post, I thought; 'Korean kidney? Is that spicy? do they serve it with banchan?'

When I first saw the heading, I thought he was going abroad to buy a kidney!  :o :o :o

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »