I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:58:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Understanding and preventing rejection: Podcast
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Understanding and preventing rejection: Podcast  (Read 1921 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: November 06, 2019, 11:29:50 AM »

Lori Hartwell of the Renal Support Network, herself a 4 time kidney transplantee, has just posted this podcast on RSN's website about "understanding and preventing rejection".  It is a really interesting AND important listen for all kidney transplant patients.  It discusses, among other things, DSA tests, Allosure, non-steroid protocols and, mainly, the importance of taking your meds, especially Prograf/tacrolimus.

https://www.rsnhope.org/kidneytalk/understanding-and-preventing-transplant-rejection/

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 02:37:28 PM »

Thanks for recommending it.

My notes from the call:
Take medications, most important Prograf/tacrolimus/Envarsus or Cyclosporine, however earlier also mentioned that the Prednisone is very important and stopping it can cause rejection.

Steroid free treatments result in more rejections in his experience.  High dose and then taper to low levels is working well.

Allosure - tests for donor derived cell free DNA - donor DNA in the blood, see creatine jump around then do test and negative predictive tests is very strong - negative is accurate, positive means biopsy to look at things more

Antibodies don't matter that much these days

Babies have some sort of antibody blocker

Some anti rejection drugs can be taking during pregnancy (No Cellcept)

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »