I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:57:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Well this didnt take long
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Well this didnt take long  (Read 2039 times)
SweetyPie

« on: November 02, 2019, 10:32:22 AM »

So I have my first cold. This didnt take long to happen. All you transplant patients, how often do you get sick? My throat hurts a lot today and I have a stuffy/runny nose. I had some tea earlier. Any tips to make me feel better. I dont have much of an appetite. I had an iv infusion for anti rejection yesterday and it was extremely cold and windy outside perhaps I caught something?
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 11:11:35 AM »

I have had the the cold all week as well. Lots of people at my work in DC have it as well.

Make sure you talk to your doctor if you want to use cold medicine. From what I’ve read we should not use your norm cough syrups.  I didn’t talk to my doctor but did research it and bought something I was not familiar with that was recommended.

Edit what I found that seemed ok on the internet is:
Guaifenesin for chest congestion
Dextromethorphan for cough suppressant
I have pills CVS brand that have both.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 02:20:49 PM by iolaire » Logged

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 03:06:28 PM »

I've had only one cold in the 7 years I've been transplanted.  I know we're supposed to be immunosuppressed, but every other month when I have my labs done, my differential WBC has always been within normal range.

I was provided with information post tx about all sorts of things we're supposed to know, including which OTCs are OK and which are not.  Generally speaking, when it comes to treating cold symptoms, it is better to treat each symptom individually as opposed to taking an all singing, all dancing multi-symptom concoction.

I hope you feel better soon!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
SooMK

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 09:15:32 AM »

I also have a cold. I do get sick a lot more than before I was transplanted and things like colds seem to hang on forever. I use Robitussin at night. I must have run this by the clinic because I run everything past them, but YMMV and you better check with your neph. During the day I drink fluids and use cough drops. Limiting how much I talk helps the coughing fits but that I cannot do.

My WBC is always low, never in the normal range. I hope you feel better soon.

SooMK
Diagnosed with Uromodulin Kidney Disease (ADTKD/UMOD) 2009
Transplant from my wonderful friend, April 2014
Volunteering with Rare Kidney Disease Foundation 2022. rarekidney.org
Focused on treatment and cure for ADTKD/UMOD and MUC1 mutations.
SweetyPie

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 08:03:47 PM »

Thank you all,
Unfortunately i developed a cough today and my chest feels wheezy i hope its nothing serious. Ive Been drinking warm liquids that seems to really help me feel better.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »