I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:54:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  What does a low Tacro level mean
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What does a low Tacro level mean  (Read 2045 times)
SweetyPie

« on: October 22, 2019, 10:50:14 AM »

Hi all,

So when I first got the transplant I was on both tacro and cellcept but after the rejection episode they took me off cellcept. The only meds I am on is prednisone and tacro (1mg in the morning and 1mh at night) I have been looking at my labs and see my tacro level never comes up above 3 which is low.
Does a low tacro level for a long period of time something I should be worried about? Just a reminder I am doing plasmapheresis once a week at the moment.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 11:22:06 AM »

I assume Tarco = Tacrolimus, my tacrolimus levels are now held at just above 5.  My most recent is Tacrolimus (FK506), Blood at 5.9 normal.  For quite some time they were holding closer to 8 or 9.  I don't know if your measure of 3 is a similar measure as mine or on a different scale.  Right now I'm taking Envarsus (Tacrolimus) extended release pills 2.75 mg once per day.

I think they should be keeping fairly close control of your Tacrolimus levels via the bloodwork so I don't know if you need to worry.  Hopefully the transplant coordinator can explain the levels they want for you.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
SweetyPie

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 11:58:52 AM »

Yes tacrolimus is correct. The range is between 5 -19. Right now my level is 2. They take labs once week right now.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 07:20:24 AM »

Tacro is a delicate balancing act which is why the instructions cautions that MDs not expert in immune suppression should not prescribe it.

Too little and you get rejection.  The labs should spot this in which case you'll probably get a biopsy to determine what kind of rejection.

Too much and Tacro will damage the kidney.   It is a leading cause of the limited lifespan of transplants.

I think the only downside of too low a level is risk of acute rejection, but it is worth asking your MD.

Taking food with Tacro can decrease absorbtion by up to 50%.

I consider it good news when my Tacro is decreased.   Now @ 250 cellcept once/day and 1.0AM / 1.5PM tacro with a goal of 7-8.  I was above that on 1.5/1.5.   The goal decreases a bit when you get further out from the transplant..
SweetyPie

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 09:41:34 AM »

Well then my levels are definitely not good and never have been good they stay on the low side. I didnt worry much about this because I was getting plasmapheresis treatments. I was happy to be off cellcept because it made me feel sick all the time. But i will have to go back on them the doctor said
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »