I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:03:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Skin itching!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Skin itching!  (Read 3331 times)
Athena

« on: September 29, 2019, 07:11:02 AM »

I am now itching all over the body. I have psoriasis breakouts on scalp & some patches on the body. So I am hoping it's a  skin &/or allergic kind of reaction rather than the dreaded kidney disease. My phosphorpus levels have always been in the normal range.

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 12:38:30 PM »

Hello Athena and please ask your doctor about this.
I was told once that itching skin may be due to the kidneys not functioning enough anymore and therefore the skin "sweats out" some of the liquid, the kidneys cannot "get rid of". I am not sure whether or not this is true and please ask your doctor/nephrologist about it.
Good luck-wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 01:30:50 PM »

I find that antihistamine (the stuff people with hay fever take) helps quite a bit with itching.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Athena

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 08:24:05 AM »

I find that I cannot take antihistamines orally as they cause my bowels to stop working.

I've had itching attacks before that have gone away. I'll have to wait it out. But I will call my Neph tomorrow.

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 10:21:38 AM »

I find that I cannot take antihistamines orally as they cause my bowels to stop working.

I've had itching attacks before that have gone away. I'll have to wait it out. But I will call my Neph tomorrow.

How about taking a shower, not too hot to avoid irritating the skin? Good luck !  :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Athena

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 11:10:48 AM »

I've popped an anti-histamine pill called Claryntin. Hopefully this will work to stop the crazy itch!

Athena

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 12:46:55 AM »

I saw my Neph but hadn't gotten around to doing my labs yet. He believes the skin itching is kidney related, ie it's the result of toxic buildup in the blood. He was pressed for time & I have to see him soon again after doing my labs, but it didn't sound like there's much that can be done.

Personally I believe it may be allergy related &/or purely a skin condition, as I do have psoriasis patches on 2 parts of my body. And psoriasis is not kidney related.

After much scratching, I have rash & sores that have built up. I know that I must hydrate my skin. It's such a chore to be constantly hydrating the skin.

cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 01:57:06 PM »

Hi Athena do you know what your phosphate was last time you had your bloods done?

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Athena

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 09:08:35 AM »

Hi Athena do you know what your phosphate was last time you had your bloods done

Love, Cas

It is the normal reference range. I am not on binders yet.

SweetyPie

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 12:39:39 PM »

Try neutrogena lotion. I have the driest and itchiest skin. I found this Godsend of a lotion and it feels great.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 05:44:05 AM »

Quote from: Athena
Quote from: cassandra

Hi Athena do you know what your phosphate was last time you had your bloods done

Love, Cas

It is the normal reference range. I am not on binders yet.

The normal range could be not ‘normal’ for you (body-wise) As it isn’t for me. Ask your Dr if maybe phosphate-binders are worth ago?

Good luck, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Athena

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 01:35:35 AM »

I've swallowed an anti-histamine tablet last night. That seems to have settled the itching. Is it safe for kidney patients to take oral anti-histamines?

Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 01:40:09 AM »

Is it safe for kidney patients to take oral anti-histamines?

In that I was recommended them by two different dialysis nurses, I would assume so.

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Athena

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2019, 09:16:09 AM »

Is it safe for kidney patients to take oral anti-histamines?

In that I was recommended them by two different dialysis nurses, I would assume so.

Anti-histamines are anti-cholinergic drugs which have as a side effect, constipation & urinary retention. Both already problems that I have.  :stressed;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »