I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:25:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  First Dialysis, what to bring?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Dialysis, what to bring?  (Read 3490 times)
ElaineJ

« on: November 17, 2019, 01:43:38 PM »

The time has come for me to start dialysis.  I have a seat for Mon Wed and Fridays, starting tomorrow.  I was just reading that the centers (I will be going to DaVita) do not provide blankets or pillows.  In the hospital I got very cold during dialysis so I'm defiinitely thinking I have to bring a blanket. Do i need a pillow?  Also i see they make special sweatshirts with dialysis access arms so I ordered one of those.  What else do i need to bring with me besides iPad, phone, snack, water?   Does that cramp foam work (Theraworx)?  Do you guys bring a rolling duffle or something to hold all this stuff?!  I don't want to walk in with a huge bag if that's not what's commonly done.  Little help please?  :)

Thanks so much!

Elaine
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 02:10:12 PM »

Bring a battery pack to recharge your iPad/phone.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
lulu836

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 03:08:18 PM »

Hi Elaine... :welcomesign;...the last thing you need to worry about is how you appear to them.  Wait until you get a look at them!

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my kidneys the most.
Alexysis

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 04:48:05 PM »

Here's what you will need:

At least 1 blanket. I carry 2; one thin, and 1 thick

2 bed-size pillows; one for your head, and one for under your knees, to help avoid calf cramps (also for comfort). I carry one thick pillow and one thin one, just so I can have a choice (depending on the chair) as to which one to put behind my head.

1 good-sized bag to put the stuff in, something like a football player's equipment bag.

1 set of headphones, or a tablet or laptop.

Wear a crappy t-shirt OVER whatever else you are wearing; often the bleach they use to clean stuff isn't dry when you sit down, and that will ruin good clothing. Also, you need a 'splashguard' for blood. you will soon have an entire 'dialysis clothing' section to your wardrobe.
lulu836

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 09:11:35 PM »

you will soon have an entire 'dialysis clothing' section to your wardrobe.

'Tis true!  :thumbup;

ElaineJ

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 05:57:17 AM »

Thank you so much for the advice. What exactly is a “splashguard” for blood? Where do I buy it?  It sounds scary I must say but I want to be prepared and I sure don’t want to ruin clothing (love the tip about the old t shirt to protect from bleach).  Thanks again.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 06:09:20 AM »

You can ease into bringing all the stuff. I’d recommend doing a few sessions and figuring out what you want to bring.   Not everyone brings a ton of stuff, it just depends on what makes you comfortable and how much setup of stuff you want to do.

I never had to bring pillows and blankets but since I came from work I enjoyed bringing comfortable socks so I could take off my shoes and relax.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
lulu836

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 06:48:48 AM »

What exactly is a “splashguard” for blood?

Our techs just use their heavy duty "paper towels"  folded and taped to your shirt.  At some point some small squirt of normal saline or blood is going to accidentally drip on you.  For  your first treatment just take the bare essentials and the rest of your comfort items can be added the next time.

What type of access for dialysis do you have? 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 09:40:50 AM by lulu836 » Logged

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 08:00:30 AM »

I never had to bring pillows and blankets.
I’m wrong I did bring a travel pillow.

ElaineJ

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 08:45:09 AM »

I have a graft which was put in 2 months ago - in upper left arm.  Still getting used to needles - the one on the inner arm HURTS!  but they just prescribed a lidocaine cream I'm supposed to apply about 1 hour before D and hopefully that will lessen the pain. They tell me my skin will toughen up over time and it won't hurt so much. If that's not true, don't tell me! :)
ElaineJ

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 08:46:21 AM »

I have 2 little My Pillow pillows im going to bring. Plus a blanket because in the hospital I was freezing during D.  Hopefully they keep these centers warmer but better safe than freezing and sorry. 
GA_DAWG

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 08:59:32 PM »

Sorry to say, but if anything, the center is kept colder than the hospital most of the time, so definitely take the blanket. Another thing, is to try to always wear the same weight of clothing, similar shirt, pants and the like, so that your clothes will not affect your weight and therefore how much they try to take off of you. As someone else said, you come to have kind of your dialysis wardrobe, and most of it will have a speck of blood somewhere on it. The lidocaine cream helps a lot but be sure to give it 30 minutes or so to take effect. Once you apply it, wrap your arm in plastic wrap to keep it in place and from getting all over you. MOst centers have TVs but you need earplugs for them, and I like yo have a tablet with music and games loaded on it to pass the time. Apart from that, relax and try to find a tech or nurse you really trust and can go to with any questions or concerns, and of course, we are always here for you.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »