I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:03:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  I think I'm on Airplane Overload
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I think I'm on Airplane Overload  (Read 2568 times)
Riki
Elite Member

« on: July 16, 2019, 05:59:10 PM »

So, I appear to have survived another trip to the "States," though getting there seemed to be an elaborate game of musical planes.

We were supposed to leave Tuesday night, but when we got to the airport, we discovered that our flight to Montreal was delayed to a point were we wouldn't have made the connection to Philadelphia.  We were initially offered a night in a hotel in Montreal, and to be booked on a flight to Philadelphia in the morning, which we should have taken (hindsight is 20/20).  We instead booked a flight to Toronto the next morning, with a connection to Philadelphia, and we went home.

The next morning, the flight to Toronto was great, however, Customs was so busy, that we were late getting to the gate (though by my clock we still had 5 minutes to spare), and the plane left without us.  We were then booked on another flight back to Montreal, to connect to another flight to Philadelphia.  We finally made it around 4pm on Wednesday, which actually made me 2 hours late for dialysis, but the lovely ladies at the center took me anyway.  If we had made the first connection from Toronto that morning, we would have been there around noon.

At least the flights back to Charlottetown were simple.  No delays, no missed connections.  The only problem was that when I showed up at my home dialysis unit, they weren't expecting me till Friday.... :oops;

Oh well.  I survived.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 06:18:43 PM »

Travel is quite draining. Add some dialysis stress and it’s even more so.  Hopefully you will have good memories that last longer than the flight memories. 

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
enginist

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 05:02:44 PM »

I recently had a chaotic trip on a plane as well, although it didn't involve dialysis.  I left Phoenix on Monday morning and, after being diverted to Rapid City, Minneapolis, and Atlanta, I finally made it home to Chicago on Tuesday afternoon.  Severe weather caused a backup and a chain reaction.  Hundreds of us spent the night at the Minneapolis airport, sleeping in chairs and sprawling on the floor.  It looked like a bunch of homeless people sleeping under a bridge. 
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 03:29:19 PM »

I don't think I could have handled sleeping in an airport.  I was in a wheelchair, so at least if I needed to go to the bathroom, I wouldn't have lost my seat ;)

I have decided, after rolling around Philly in that chair, that it needs a cushion.  Numb butt is bad enough from a dialysis chair, but from a wheelchair, it really sucks.

Next adventure: Denver in August, 2020.  Flights look much more convoluted.  Too bad we don't still have the non-stop from Charlottetown to Detroit.  That might have helped some.  It would also be nice if my disabled status got me the same deals on international and crossborder flights as they do for Canadian flights.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »