I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 06:48:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Tacrolimus Shortage?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tacrolimus Shortage?  (Read 2473 times)
SooMK

« on: June 23, 2019, 07:02:31 AM »

Has anyone been impacted by the tacrolimus shortage? Or have experience with any drug shortage? This is something that wasn't on my "don't forget to worry about it" page.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/drugshortages/dsp_ActiveIngredientDetails.cfm?AI=Tacrolimus+Capsules&st=c&tab=tabs-4&panels=0

I plan on asking my pharmacy about it next month.

SooMK
Diagnosed with Uromodulin Kidney Disease (ADTKD/UMOD) 2009
Transplant from my wonderful friend, April 2014
Volunteering with Rare Kidney Disease Foundation 2022. rarekidney.org
Focused on treatment and cure for ADTKD/UMOD and MUC1 mutations.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 02:27:23 PM »

I’m using envarsus which they still call Tacrolimus. Likely it’s a brand name version. I’m still with the third party local pharmacy that handles patients right after transplant so I’m not worried much.  The group that does my refills is the long term care group.

I’d hope any pharmacist with tac patients would plan ahead to insure they have the supplies needed for refills.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 02:29:50 PM by iolaire » Logged

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 03:11:04 PM »

I've not heard of this until I read this thread.  I get my tx meds directly from my transplant center's pharmacy as opposed to someone like Walgreens.  In fact, it is for reasons like this that I refused to have these meds refilled by my local Walgreens instead of by my tx peeps who are in another state.  Don't know if that makes any difference, but I'd like to keep thinking so!  :rofl;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 07:30:00 PM »

I relooked at the page and only Accord Healthcare Inc. (New 05/17/2019) is facing a shortage, plus one other firm for one dosage.  So there are alternatives but I’m sure everyone involved would prefer to stay with there current brand.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
SooMK

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 03:33:24 PM »

I also stayed with the specialty pharmacy that the hospital used. They have been great so hopefully this is a nonproblem. Just hearing about drug shortages is concerning.

SooMK
Diagnosed with Uromodulin Kidney Disease (ADTKD/UMOD) 2009
Transplant from my wonderful friend, April 2014
Volunteering with Rare Kidney Disease Foundation 2022. rarekidney.org
Focused on treatment and cure for ADTKD/UMOD and MUC1 mutations.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »