I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:13:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  How would this work?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How would this work?  (Read 2169 times)
UkrainianTracksuit

« on: July 04, 2019, 02:56:41 PM »

Okay, so as I was Googling for information about a kidney-pancreas conference overseas, I got this result. It perked my interest because I have been constantly turning down job offers, as far as Houston, because I am of the belief that it would be extremely difficult to get a work visa or green card due to complicated health. And then I read this:

https://kidneyfoundation.wordpress.com/2018/09/17/hello-i-am-a-white-woman-39-years-old-i-plan-to-move-to-the-us-i-have-type-1-diabetes-and-kidney-transplantation-from-my-mother-now-the-level-of-creatinine-is-1-1-2-in-russia-i-take-the-advagraf/

So, a couple questions came to my mind, that the very astute Americans here would know the answers.

1. Not a silly question, but actually serious, could she be a mail order bride (or something like that) who married a guy who put her on his insurance, so, no concerns over coverage?
2. Would an employer's insurance kick in/provide coverage for these drugs right away? I mean, that is if she has a job lined up and ready to go. Just brainstorming here.
3. I know with my extremely BASIC understanding of the Affordable Care Act, insurers can't say no to pre-existing conditions, but is it not like a hurdle to enter the US, with that number of conditions? Does it not matter because it is free-market insurance set up and not socialized care? Wouldn't premiums be through the roof?
4. She could just be covering her drug costs independently then....

I'm just wondering how this would work. Help? By the way, don't consider me stupid or talk to me like I am because I have absolutely no understanding of US health care scenarios. Sometimes that happens.
Alexysis

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 03:27:05 PM »

Well, the post is confusing, but let me take a swing at your questions:

1) If a husband put her on or bought her insurance, then her insurance company would have the answers she wants.
2)Yes, but most people work for 2-6 months before employer insurance starts. Getting a job with insurance that starts on the first day is almost impossible to find.
3)yes, premiums would be high under the AHC plans, whether you buy a high-deductible or a low-deductible plan, you will be paying probably a minimum of $800/month for everything with that many health issues depending on the state you are covered in.

What we have in the US are as follows:

1)Employer-sponsored health insurance: Most working people get this, where the employer contributes part or none towards the premiums. Many are high-deductible, which cost you only $200-300/month per person, but have a $6000 total co-pay per year.

2)AHCA policies: Cost about the same for similar coverage, but depending on the state you can get reduced premiums (from MedicAid) based on your income. Varies considerably from plan to plan, and from state to state.

3) Medicare: available for a nominal monthly charge to all over 65, and those with certain chronic health issues (like kidney failure). Covers 80% of costs.

3a)Medigap and Medicare advantage plans: covers what Medicare doesn't, sometimes fully, sometimes with co-pays, can cost nothing per month to as much as $400/ month for the type which covers everything. Many plans, differing in different locations.

4) MedicAid: State run insurance, mostly to covers those who are poor, or have reduced income. Sometimes it will cover your MediCare monthly premium, sometimes it will pay for some of your AHCA policy premium, and if you are low-income, it will pay for just about everything.

5)Veterans and military health insurance: An honorably discharged veteran can use the VA health services, but mostly that is only inside a VA hospital. Health care there is marginal and often haphazard. Military families have something called Tri-Care, which can be used in more places, but mostly centers around military hospitals.

6) Other health coverage groups include things like Catholic health services, and even the Amish run a health benevolent fund for their members.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 03:59:51 PM »

This woman DOES claim to have a green card, so she is allowed to work and live in the US permanently.

This doesn't mean, however, that she could get benefits like Medicare unless she has worked in this country for long enough to accrue credits.  For instance, I am an American citizen, but since I spent almost all of my working life outside of the US, the only way I will be able to access Medicare once I am 65 is because my husband has enough credits.  I, as his spouse, thus qualify for Medicare.

For most people living in the US, what kind of insurance you have access to is mostly determined by your (legal) work status, what kind of policy(ies) your employer offers, your marital status, and in which state you reside.

It is all unnecessarily complicated, so no one will answer you as if you were stupid.  We have these kinds of questions amongst ourselves every damn day.  And it will all probably change soon, anyway.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 04:45:21 PM »

Yes, I see that she notes that she has a green card, but nosy me wonders how she got it, with all those health issues, you know? It seems familial... hence I thought spouse right away. I know, don’t assume...

Does it matter to the US?

I know here that my parents had immigration lawyers and covered medical costs out of pocket (huge chunk of change) to allow us to move. Otherwise, we’d have been denied.

Just wondering because she wants to move from Russia to the USA. In my mind, a million questions. Like did she go back/stay for the mother’s kidney and now return to the US? Under here with the socialized medicine, my husband (who is a permanent resident aka our equivalent of a green card) loses coverage if he is outside the country for 6 months. He’s healthy so it’s not a big deal. He has a home here with his permanent address so he can lie anyway...

And I see what MooseMom says about not having credits for Medicare, but qualifying through a spouse.

I knew that I could qualify for a green card as a second preference skilled worker, but I automatically thought I would be denied because of health. I automatically thought “well, I require a heap of drugs and doctor appointments, they would stamp DENIED right away.”

Don’t worry; I won’t come pollute your country with my sick genes.  :yahoo;

To be honest, navigating the US health care system seems scary.

Thank you Alexysis for providing such a detailed answered too.  :thumbup;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »