I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:54:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Fermentated Beverages? Yay or Nay?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fermentated Beverages? Yay or Nay?  (Read 2344 times)
UkrainianTracksuit

« on: June 11, 2019, 03:55:27 AM »

Now that we've had a couple sunnier warm days, I'm totally in the mood for some kvass. I'm just unsure if it is safe for transplant patients or not.

So, it's a fermented drink made from bread and I know better than to brew my own at home anymore. Mass-produced in a can it is. It's just that I have concerns over things sometimes tjings going wrong in the fermentation process (bad bacteria) and just the composition of the drink. Even in the canned stuff, there is a yeast sediment.

I'll paste some info about the drink in particular and it sounds loopy. Never caused me concern before.

Commercial kvass, especially less expensive varieties, is occasionally made like many other soft drinks, using sugar, carbonated water, malt extract, and flavourings. Better brands, often made by beer rather than soft drink manufacturers, usually use a variation of the traditional process to brew their products. Kvass is commonly served unfiltered, with the yeast still in it, which adds to its unique flavour as well as its high vitamin B content. This one is from an older "traditional" company... so I guess better brewed.

Back in the day white kvass was a staple drink and food, a powerful antioxidant as well as a valuable source of vitamins and minerals. It supports your organism when it doesn’t have enough protein. The rustic origins of the  _______ recipe maintain the homely nourishing taste of kvass with a strong crisp acidity and the presence of sediment. The uniqueness of the drink is in the technology of its production: malted wheat and whole grain rye are used in the preparation process.

For centuries this kvass maintained young people’s health, gave strength to the old, helped the sick get back on their feet and satisfied thirst and hunger.   :urcrazy;

...is rich in vitamin C that enhances one’s immunity and generally improves one’s health
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 04:42:56 AM »

Here in the US once stuff is commercially packaged it usually means it’s pasteurized and generally safe. It probably kills the good organisms as well as the bad. So I’ll drink some kombucha sometimes.   

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 06:16:05 AM »

I'm hoping that because the products have an extended shelf life (6 months for one form, a year for another) that they've been pasteurized. The thing that concerns me now is the yeast sediment.

I could email the company but I doubt they'd have a clue. Could be a case of trial and error then!
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 08:20:40 AM »

Sounds to me to be a bit little the old Home Brew.

Most any starch or sugar can be made into an alcoholic concoction, given a little time and a spot of yeast.

Boiling your water first makes a much safer 'brew' as you can be pretty sure to have killed off any of the 'bad' bacteria.

Add in your starch, sugar will speed the process and increase the a lcohol content but really isn't necessary as your yeast will convert the starch. 

Crumble in any yeast available, even just a fresh yeast roll is enough to get it started.

Half seal the contain to keep any bugs out or you will end up with vinegar but don't seal it completely as it will build pressure and can explode a weak container.

Don't ask me how I know.

Depending on whether you've only used starches or added sugar to your mix the fermentation time can vary from a week to a month.  Too much sugar and the alcohol level can get so high as to sterilize the mixture, ending fermentation and leaving a very sweet concoction.

Tastes will depend on what starch/sugar you've used.  Fruits can be good.  Play with mixtures.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 05:28:49 PM »

I used to drink home made kefir but then had to go off dairy. I now have a kombucha addiction.  Used to make my own sauerkraut.  Fermentation doesn't scare me.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 05:59:32 PM »

Therein lies the difference.

When I was on dialysis, none of these products gave me pause, as we made our own kvass, kefir (and I’ve been doing the kefir thing before it was popular because where I’m from, we’ve been drinking it for centuries, just like kvass), matzoon, other forms of alcohol, sauerkraut and pickling. My husband does the sauerkraut and pickling but I just don’t eat it now.

In Stage 3, I drank kumys to no ill-effect.

I can even brew hooch if I had to... but people die from that once botulism enters the picture.

Food borne illness is a concern for tx patients and I’m worried about yeast sediment even in canned products. Wondering how that works with the fact taking antibiotics 3x/week which in turn cause thrush (yeast). So, wondering what happens if you actually drink the yeast sediment from a fermented drink.

Healthy people talk about the Vitamin B benefits and subsequent loosened stools... but just wondering about those with suppressed immune systems.

I’ll have to see if there is RU-speaking transplant community that might have the answer.
Cupcake

a good year for Chevys

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 06:42:22 PM »

I don't know anything about kvass but the infectious disease dr told me I can no longer take probiotics after transplant-our immunity is too low. I tried kombucha but couldn't acquire a taste for it-tasted like vinegar to me! I admire you adventurous drinkers!

PD for 2 years then living donor transplant October 2018.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »