I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:22:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Should UNOS Address the Regional Disparities in Kidney Allocation?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should UNOS Address the Regional Disparities in Kidney Allocation?  (Read 1973 times)
Kathymac2

« on: June 10, 2019, 08:27:50 AM »

I live in Southern California. I was told at my last annual transplant evaluation that if I wanted a standard kidney (KDPI between 21 and 85) that I could expect to wait two to three more years for a total wait of 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 years for type A blood, no antibodies. The doctor wanted me to accept an extended criteria kidney (KDPI 85-100). This type of kidney is expected to last 5 years. Since at my age (69) and in good health aside from my kidney problems, I think my life expectancy is more than 5 years, I declined the extended criteria kidney.

My insurance will not pay for me to have a transplant outside of Southern California. I know from my research on the internet that people living in nearby states (and in other areas across the country) do not wait 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 years for a kidney with type A blood, no antibodies.  How is this fair? 

In 2014, UNOS changed the kidney allocation process to try and correct the disparity in wait times for people with type B blood and to better age-match kidneys to their recipients.  While I think this was in general, a positive step, I also think it created the consequence of age discrimination (but that is the subject of a different rant).  I think UNOS needs to address the discrepancies in wait times between different areas of the country and develop a more equitable distribution system.  What do you think?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »