I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:07:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Butter Bread without added Phosphates
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Butter Bread without added Phosphates  (Read 2525 times)
Marilee

Hubby was a PD Person - I was 'support'

« on: April 20, 2019, 08:12:27 AM »

Searching the shelves yesterday for sourdough, I came across a NEW offering from Pepperidge Farm - Farmhouse Butter Bread - made without added phosphates! Yea! It's just nice to have more options.
https://www.pepperidgefarm.com/product/farmhouse-butter-bread/

As my hubby would say, "Don't let what you can't do get in the way of what you can."
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 09:19:33 PM »

Once upon a time I used to LOVE to put a big smear of butter on plain bread and eat it.

I cut fats so long ago I hardly remember just how good it taste.

Just a week or so ago I cleaned all the pickle jars out of the fridge and donated them to the clinic.  Nurses are always wanting pickle juice.

I kept one of the jars of the Bread and Butter Dills after I tasted one and reminded myself just how good they are.   Since then I've emptied the jar using them on peanut butter sandwhichs.   And also since learned that brand has been bought out, then discontinued, And the Vlasic brand are no where near as good.
Marilee

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 09:29:41 PM »

I was going to say, "What a bittersweet tale" and then I realized, no, it's a Sweet-n-Sour tale :D .

I think there are so many recipes for Bread and Butter Pickles, and since they were 'invented' in Illinois (relatively close to you), maybe there's some fabulous, authentic ones at a local farmer's market.

As my hubby would say, "Don't let what you can't do get in the way of what you can."
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 06:16:59 PM »

I haven't tossed that old jar of sweet juice.  I am thinking of draining the Vlasics and soaking them in the sweeter juice.  Also thinking about boiling them a few minutes to soften them.  The Vlasics have too much 'crunch'.  That was fone when I still had teeth.  Now I need that old 'soft' stuff, much easier to chew/gum.
Marilee

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 06:46:52 PM »

Similarly, pickled beets are so sweet-tart and delightful. My mother-in-law had a tradition of putting hard boiled eggs into their brine and putting in the fridge for a few days. The eggs came out pickled, sweet and with a rosy glow. A New Years Day tradition.

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 07:30:15 PM »

I love both beets and eggs.

I don't know why but I never had the thought about dropping eggs into the brine.

Too easy.

Another one of those 'No Brainers' that most of us never ever think of.

Thanks!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »