I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:13:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Nocturnal
| | |-+  DaVita Ending Nocturnal at my clinic
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DaVita Ending Nocturnal at my clinic  (Read 6796 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: March 21, 2019, 10:14:16 AM »

My center is closing its Nocturnal shift May 1, 2019.  I need the 8 hours to survive.   The most I can get will be 4.5 hours.  I think they want to run two 4.5 shifts instead of one 8 hour shift.  Greedy Bastards! 

Whatever.  At least I won't have to make the decision to quit.  They are doing it for me.

:beer1;  God is in control.  Even though DaVita thinks they are.

Kathymac2

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 12:41:20 PM »

My center is closing its Nocturnal shift May 1, 2019.  I need the 8 hours to survive.   The most I can get will be 4.5 hours.  I think they want to run two 4.5 shifts instead of one 8 hour shift.  Greedy Bastards! 

Whatever.  At least I won't have to make the decision to quit.  They are doing it for me.

:beer1;  God is in control.  Even though DaVita thinks they are.

This is shocking to me. I can't believe the type of therapy you need can be discontinued without a comparable substitute being offered. ( I can believe it, I just find it unconscionable).

If Davita is not offering what you need, what about Fresenius?  Do you have the ability to choose your provider, or are you constrained by your insurance provider?

I see by your profile that you live in Spokane. There is a Fresenius on Sherman Street in Spokane that offers nocturnal.

You have been at this (dialysis) a lot longer than I have, so I apologize if my suggestions are not helpful.   My thinking is that maybe in your shock over this huge change, you haven't yet considered all options.

Kathy
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 05:48:13 PM »

The one on Sherman only does six hours which is better than 4.5.  My problem would be transportation.  I refuse to spend my last dollar trying to get to and from dialysis.  Plus they are full right now.  I'd wand the others to take an opening before me.  I don't have kids or grandkids to be around for.  It just makes me mad that they offered it for 10 years and we all feel pretty good and now they are taking it away.  But they have money to remodel and put in 2 extra chairs. $$$$$$$ 

I'll find out more tonight.  The manager wanted to tell the news to each of us.  She probably wants to see our faces when she tells us our quality of life is now cut in half.  B***h  !! 

kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 04:33:55 AM »

This is one of those potent moments.  I wish you good luck. 

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 08:52:25 AM »

It is worse than I thought.  They are totally cutting Nocturnal shift.  So, 4 people are out of a job and we can try and get a 4 hour slot.... somewhere.  She can't even assure us we will be at that center.  Which means we will have to switch doctors.  This will start May 5.  Just boom 24 hours of cleaning a week to 12.  I may as well go from 24 hours a week to zero and get this over with. 

I understand they get the same money for a 3 hour run as an 8 hour run.  But, to let us feel good for 10 years and then jerk the rug out form under us.  I feel like I know how the poor Jews felt in WWII.  Oh, we are going to ship you to a better place.  Ya, right! 

We are in the middle of a "remodel"  They are adding 2 chairs and new floor, scale, nurses station everything.  So, now they are cutting Nocturnal shift.  WTH ??? 

I was the only one that got loud and yelled.  Everyone else was "oh, well, I guess there I nothing I can do"

To me this is AGAINST Medical Advice!  My Prescription is for 8 hours.  If I ever get off early I have to sign an AMA form.  Now I'm going to make them sign one. 

:sir ken;

Kathymac2

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 06:46:25 PM »

Wow. Just wow. Any chance you could be trained for home hemo before this change happens?

I'm so sorry you have to navigate this (huge) bump in the road.

Kathy
Christine McG

...And Yet I Smile

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 03:51:23 AM »

We (I) do hemo dialysis at home. Is that an option for you? I find it much more convenient than in-center dialysis.  :shy;

Christine
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 10:12:43 AM »

I did home bemo 30 years ago.  I was only 25 and my home turned into a hospital.  Hated it.  Now I would not have help.  And even though the center gets the same amount for home or in center.  You have to pay a helper.  So, no! 

Matthew 6:27. God says, worry will not add one hour to your life.   

Ive called my congresswoman, Medicare....  I just can't worry about this.  It is Exhausting! 

UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 12:05:34 PM »

Got nothing to say other than Rerun, I am so pissed off in regard to this case. You've "been there, done that" in the dialysis world and this just seems like such a sucker punch. I'm sorry.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 12:38:47 PM »

NxStage is FDA approved "without helper" for non-nocturnal use only.  With helper allows nocturnal.

The CMS standard is not "best dialysis possible" but "adequate dialysis".   The later is used as a term of art to support the di-helical screw (goes in no matter which way you turn it).
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 02:10:47 PM »

I know there is nothing I can do.  And I'm not willing to spend my last dollar to fight this and pay $50 each way to dialysis to go to another city.  Sometimes you just have to let nature take its course. 

I hope Kent Thiry has a change of heart and reopens our Nocturnal shift.  I'm praying for that and letting go and letting God. 

I don't want to do dialysis at home.  If I'd win the lottery and could build a home that had a room to the side with everything.  A mini clinic.  Then I would. 

I'll be fine.  I have a mini sauna.  I put 4 near inferred lights.  It gets me sweating pretty good in an hour.  I just lay there and listen to a podcast.  With 4 hours of dialysis and that I may feel better than with just 4 hours of dialysis.

Time will tell.  I need to just sit back and watch God work.

:guitar:   Love you guys for listening to me all these years. 

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 07:14:48 PM »

Very sorry to hear this, Rerun. Maybe the nocturnal shift should get together and send Thiry a get well card, saying he must be sick to do this to his customers. Evil s**thead!  >:D

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 09:43:32 AM »

I've sat by John for two years.  He is the Jeopardy King!  He has been fighting A-Fib and pneumonia.  He didn't come in last night.  They called and his wife said he decided he is not coming back.  I understand.  I hope it goes fast and peaceful for him.   :pray;   

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 03:59:51 PM »

I'm on a list for a Fresenius clinic that is really close.  There is a DaVita one mile NE of me and (currently going) a Fresenius one mile south of me.  I don't want to give DaVita one more dime.  I may get 5 hours at Fresenius. 

I've called everyone I can think of.  There is nothing they can do.  They don't have to provide Nocturnal even though the outcomes are better. 

I talked to John.  He is at the Hospice House.  He said it is really nice and he has the quilt that his Grandma made him on him.  His family is gathered around and he can eat and drink anything he wants.  He is on day six of no dialysis.  He is at peace with his decision.  He said "so far, dy'in ain't that bad".  I'm at peace now for him.  He didn't know anything about them cutting our Nocturnal shift.  So, at least I'm glad they waited for John to leave.  He stepped off the rug before they jerked it. 

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 06:15:02 PM »

Hope you can choose Fresenius and get on with the business of living. We need you here. Perhaps that isn't said often enough but we all know it' true -we need you!

Sounds like your friend John has made up his mind. Glad his family supports his decision. Sorry you are going thru all this all at once. Just don't want to see you or anybody else for that matter feeling like "their time has come". Every time I read your posts I think "now there's someone who has a lot to say and do". It's your business, it's your life but we kind of like having you around.  :kiss;

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Kathymac2

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 11:56:09 PM »

Hope you can choose Fresenius and get on with the business of living. We need you here. Perhaps that isn't said often enough but we all know it' true -we need you!

Sounds like your friend John has made up his mind. Glad his family supports his decision. Sorry you are going thru all this all at once. Just don't want to see you or anybody else for that matter feeling like "their time has come". Every time I read your posts I think "now there's someone who has a lot to say and do". It's your business, it's your life but we kind of like having you around.  :kiss;

Well said, Prime Timer.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 07:00:35 AM »

Kind of you to say.  And I won't start a poll to vote me off the IHD Island.  That may be tough to take.  LOL 

I think I may go to Fersenius this week and give them my new Medicare card and secondary insurance card.  I called them and they are trying to get my Medical Records from DaVita but said DaVita said their FAX Machine is down,.  How convenient.  WTH   Maybe they are in worse financial problems then I thought.

DaVita owes millions back to Medicare for CHEATING!  Maybe if they would play it straight they would make more money legally.  They need to read the "Tortoise and the Hare". 

I'm feeling more optimistic today.  John and I would watch Jeopardy together.  He was KING.  Last night I got the final Jeopardy question correct!  I took it as a sign.  John would have been so proud of me. 

Topic:  Foreign Travel
Answer:  A train traveling once a year year carries half a million people....  (to where)
Question:  Where is ....   (I'll post the answer at the end of the day)  You can try and answer here.   :yahoo;

Okay:  Where is Mecca    :secret;
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:42:33 PM by Rerun » Logged

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 04:15:05 PM »

:cheer: Give them an H give them an E give them a double L!!  :cheer: That's alright that's okay we're gonna beat them anyway!  :cheer: Kick 'em in the left knee kick 'em in the right knee kick 'em in the wee-nee!  :cheer: Davita?! We don't need no stinkin Davita!

Kathymac2

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 07:08:58 AM »

Topic:  Foreign Travel
Answer:  A train traveling once a year year carries half a million people....  (to where)
Question:  Where is ....   (I'll post the answer at the end of the day)  You can try and answer here.   :yahoo;

Okay:  Where is Mecca    :secret;

Thanks for supplying the answer. This would have been bugging me no end.

Kathy
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 07:00:22 PM »

I've got a spot a mile and a half away.  They said they were full last week.  But one 4.5 hour spot came open and I took it.  It starts April 9.  That is my Dad's birthday and he would have been 100.  So maybe that is a good sign.  It is a Fresinuous  (I need to learn how to spell it)    At least DaVita won't get one more dime from my generated payment.  Medicare plus secondary. 

My friend passed away on Wednesday.  He didn't get to see Gonzaga beat Florida State.   :( 
He went peaceful with his family and friends by his side.  I actually got the Final Jeopardy  question that night.  He would have been proud.  Oh, I guess I already said that. 

I'm a little less stressed, but going from 24 hours a week to 13.5 may kill me.  Up North at the DaVita I could get 6 hours but I don't drive anymore and Uber was 30 dollars each way.  NOT doing that. 

Out of the 15 patients that had to find a new place only 3 are going to a DaVita.  YEA! 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 09:13:37 PM by Rerun » Logged

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2019, 07:57:37 PM »

Sorry about the loss of your friend, Rerun. He probably found comfort in your friendship. Hopefully the hospice kept him comfortable. I just found out that I have a brother in hospice. Hopefully he will find some peace like your friend. Good luck at Fresenius. April 9th you say? Ha...yes, that IS a very good sign! Not just your dad's bday.  ;)

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 09:18:54 PM »

I am the longest hourly patient at six hours in my clinic now.  I was running for seven hours, but cut it down to six hours, when I could not get through the seventh hour without serious side effects.  My nocturnal center went out due to staffing issues.  Not enough nurses wanted to work a night shift.  It was an easy shift, too.  Most of the patients are sleeping or watching night time TV.  Only one put on and take off during the shift.  I thin it is because the nurses salaries were not enough to keep good ones. 
I miss nocturnal ,but like Rerun, do not want to drive 28 miles each way to a clinic that offers it.  I feel nocturnal is on its way out with the push for home dialysis being the thing now.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 12:11:00 PM »

I agree Kitkatz!  They finally figured out that with home dialysis their only cost is the machine and some supplies.  No labor, water, electricity.  Now, that machine only gets used 3 times a week or if using nxState 5 times a week.  At a center that machine is used 3 times a day minimum.  Of course not NxXtage at clinic.  But still.... 

Last night was my LAST at DaVita.  Get this, I was 500 over so went back to look at my slip of paper and the Tech had a different paper....  It was my old one from last week that he had.  Now, I only go to this clinic on Sundays because they are remodeling the DaVita I went to for 11 years.  So, my paper was laying there for a week.  7 days!  Are you kidding me?  He said it was by his keyboard so he thought it was mine.  Well, it was mine.... from a week ago.  So, I'm 500 over today.  roll eyes!  Doesn't anyone clean around the computer keyboard?  For a week?

I start at Fresenius on Tuesday for 4.5 hours.  We will see if that is enough time for me.  I'll really have to pull back on the potassium and phosphorus and fluid.  OMG   

One guy got a spot with Fresenius up on the South Hill and he said if he sees an empty chair he will try to get it for me and we can ride together.  He said he gets 8 hours.  His first time is tonight so he will let me know. 

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 08:04:53 PM »

This Fresenius clinic that I go to now is clean and new machines, heated chairs.  Techs have years of experience.  The chairs are much farther apart than at the old dump (that they are remodeling )!

It is the 4.5 hours that will catch up with me.  But, I'll see how I do.  So far so good.   :pray;

Kathymac2

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2019, 06:48:03 AM »

Glad to hear that things are going well so far.

Kathy
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »