I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:14:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  One Liners
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: One Liners  (Read 3255 times)
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« on: February 14, 2019, 12:10:15 PM »

Ok, I need some good one-liners for when people ask about the fistula bump.   I got bored having all the extra time post-transplant with all the time used for D freed up so I got a job.    I'm still amazed I was able to run the gauntlet of 7 different interviewers and get hired for a software developer job at age 60.

I already have my one-liner for the mask in public - "I set up a solar array at an Ebola clinic in the Belgian Congo and my doc wants me to wear this for a few weeks just to be on the safe side".  And yes, I know it has not been the Belgian Congo since 1960 - that just adds to the absurdity of the one-liner.

If I am asked what the gun bulge under my shirt is, I answer "colostomy bag" (hint: do not use in dating situations).

But, I am at a loss for a one-liner for the fistula bump.
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 02:03:08 PM »

Long sleeves?

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 11:00:50 PM »

I’ve told this before and it’s predicated by the fact if you raise a fistula arm above your head the blood drains out and it sort of pulses.  So I was in a store waiting in line and some obnoxious woman says “ ooh what’s those bumps on your arm” so instead of telling her my ob.  I told her I was back from an extended stay in the Caribbean and I was bitten by a bug, and I was waiting to see what was going to emerge from my skin.  Then I raised my arm and said it’s about due to emerge.  She stared at my pulsating fistula and left the store at a dead run while screaming the whole way. 

SP Mod Cas
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:09:14 AM by cassandra » Logged
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 11:08:43 AM »

It's your pet worm or snake.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Blake nighsonger

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 08:51:42 PM »

Mine is not to noticeable, (upper arm). But i do have fun with "my Thrill", inside of elbow,
 mainly with nurse after telling why BP cuff has to go on other arm.

Alot of different reactions when i ask if they've ever felt one before.   
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 09:54:09 AM »

I tell people it's my conjoined twin.  Most don't see it though, since it's an upper arm fistula, and my shirts usually cover it

I freaked out a pediatrician once, though.  She knew what it was, but she'd never seen a fistula for herself.  At that time, I had a fistula in my wrist, so it was clearly visable to her.  I stretched out my arm and told her to go ahead and touch it.  When she did, she near jumped out of her skin.  I thought it was hilarious

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
KatieV

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 11:12:28 AM »

Someone told me I look like I got attacked by a shark!  Mainly because of the scar running the length of my upper arm due to my fistula revision.

And yes, if people show interest in it, I invite them to feel my thrill.  I enjoy seeing them jump!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 2007 - Brother diagnosed with ESRD, started dialysis 3 days later
April 2007 - Myself and sister also diagnosed with Senior-Loken Syndrome (Juvenile Nephronophthisis and Retintis Pigmentosa)

Since then, I've tried PD three times unsuccessfully, done In-Center hemo, NxStage short daily, Nocturnal NxStage, and had two transplants.  Currently doing NxStage short daily while waiting for a third transplant.

Married Sept. 2011 to my wonderful husband, James, who jumped into NxStage training only 51 days after our wedding!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 09:16:59 PM »

Hubby with his artificial leg and me with my fistula scar on my upper left arms have made up a story.

We were vacationing on the Great Barrier Reef, snorkeling, looking at all the fish, enjoying ourselves.
We were both attacked by sharks.  One bit his leg and one bit me on my left arm.
Luckily we were close the medical aide and taken to hospitals.
But we do not talk about this vacation.  The memories are bad.

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Alexysis

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 07:32:31 AM »

I have about a half-dozen large elbow compression sleeves I found on Amazon (and several others I tried but were either too tight, too loose, or fell apart) which I wear pretty much all the time. Makes it possible to wear short sleeves, and protects my fairly noticeable aneurysms.

I also have a fairly noticeable birthmark, which I always tell people came from a fiery racing wreck in my youth....
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »