I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:21:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Cabin fever to the Max!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cabin fever to the Max!  (Read 3634 times)
UkrainianTracksuit

« on: February 25, 2019, 12:25:07 PM »

This is like the second or third time this winter where most of the main city and surrounding smaller areas are closed due to a winter storm. I wonder what happened that all these closures need to happen because I distinctly remember my husband picking me up from dialysis in a blizzard and much of everything stayed open! 7 AM sessions in the winter.... oooh, what a feeling!

With the closings, there is really nothing to do at all. There is only so much cleaning, crafting, tv or reading a person can do! Come to think of it, I did most of the major "clean outs" the first time I had nowhere to go and nothing to do. Napping is out of the question because I'll be up all night. The weather is great for sledding but come on, there would be complaints about a grown woman pushing all the kids around on the snow hills.  :urcrazy; I'm getting pretty stir crazy... it's probably going to come to me going out after midnight to all the open fast food places (that remained open, I'm keeping a list) and gas stations. Go Circle K! That strikes me as the lifecycle of a stoner.

On top of this, I have to deal with my husband. He is literally from....Siberia. So, if people make Siberia jokes, he gives them a lecture. People say it's cold? He says -30 C is "nothing." Businesses and stores close? He is in shock! That just doesn't happen where he's from. He's literally been outside since this morning shoveling people out, doing driveways and cleaning cars. He likes it.... :o I fell in love with him because he's a hardy Siberian man but damnit, he's left me inside here alone all day!  :rant; Talking to myself is getting boring. I'm making baked milk as a treat for him; so I've been simmering milk for hours and more to come. I think I've had like 6 coffee pods so far today!

What upsets me most is that I had so much to do today! My husband is going to "try" to squeeze in my errands tomorrow but he is going out of town for work until the weekend. Luckily, where he's going is under an Extreme Cold warning so he can do his whole "Siberian MacGuyver" there too! So, I just curse this snow! Literally, I am shaking my fist at the clouds.

What are your favourite activities to do when stuck inside? Give me some ideas! This is for the safety of the public.

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 12:33:11 PM »

He's literally been outside since this morning shoveling people out, doing driveways and cleaning cars
All that I can suggest is that you walk around with him and keep people occupied inside well he does the snow stuff for them.  Maybe bring some cookies (or demand cookies) and talk to the neighbors?

And sorry for all the snow but can I say how happy I am that all that snow missed the part of the East Coast that I live in?  We have had quite a few near misses on snow storms this year in the Washington DC area.  My coworkers in Boston say the same.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 12:54:57 PM »

It might be good to get out out of here and see people. It also might be good to give away cookies since my husband put me on a cookie diet. Two packages “mysteriously” disappeared... burglars, I tell you!

Hey, sure, be happy that you missed all the snow. No judgment here, just envy! It is actually better for snow to pile up in smaller areas than in major cities. I couldn’t imagine the issues a heavy snowfall would cause.

Been to D.C. in the winter before because I had friends who support the Capitals. It was nice... winter but not really winter.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 01:10:11 PM »

I'm usually the one doing the shoveling.  If there is over 3 inches of snow, we have a "plow guy" who clears the driveway, but I still have to clear the sidewalk and the pathway to the front door.  We had about 8 inches last weekend, and clearing that was not very easy, but it felt good once I had finished.  The snow isn't a problem, rather, it's the ice.  Still, I like the exercise and the chance to get outside in the fresh air.  And I'm from Texas!  LOL!

I love the snow!  It's beautiful...and temporary.  I try to enjoy it while I can.  The rest of the year is filled with way too many gardening chores.  My husband likes to look at all the pretty flowers, but he's not quite so much into the work that makes them so pretty.   :rofl;  Any physical labor done outside seems to fall into my remit.  Not sure how that happened.

Here in Chicagoland, we have to deal with the annual "polar vortex" when the temps get to -50F with the wind chill factor.  Those are my "stay home and clear out closets" days; it usually doesn't snow during those times, though. 

I like snowshoeing.  There are various parks close by where I can do that.  That's the advantage of having a heavy snowfall.  Some people do some cross country skiing in the parks, too, but I prefer snowshoeing.

If I really can't get outside, I strength train.  I have my free weights, bands and mat.  I put on music and go through my workout.

Hope you find something fun to do! 

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 01:18:16 PM »

Been to D.C. in the winter before because I had friends who support the Capitals. It was nice... winter but not really winter.
I find winter sort of nasty around here.  I grew up in Southeast Alaska where its more slush in general in winter since its costal (but does get negateive F* at times) - but it still had good snowfalls that people lived around, and then I graduated college in Fairbanks Alaska where its truely cold -50* happens each winter, -40C/-40F is common. 

Growing up in Alaska I aways though that the lower 48 (states) had nice weather.  But down here we have ice storms where you get 1/4' inch of ice covering everyting, snow fall of an inch or two brings traffic to a standstill.  And then my workplace stopped following the goverment for snow days - so I've missed out on two snow days where the bus system was closed - luckly I can work from home.

I hate to think how inhsptitalble it must have been to the first few boats of english people who landed here.  But then I think of the French and Canada and how much tougher they must have had it...

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 04:32:00 PM »

Well, I got out of the house and tracked him down. Made dinner. Will help Mr. Snowshoveller pack and then bedtime. I survived today but the rest of the week will be brutal. At least things will be open though. Thank goodness!

MooseMom, I wish I had that pleasant attitude toward snow!  :lol; It's just that is here from November to April. It is common to have a final snow in May. You're right in that the ice is worse. Lately, we've had freezing rain spells. I hate the flash freezes where it rains in the afternoon and drops to -20C in the evening. This last storm had ice prior to the heavy snow so cars got in stucks because they couldn't get a grip.

As for gardening, I'm sad to say that this year will be a sorry state. When bulbs had to go into the ground, I was a little too scared, since it was my first transplant year. I know how we're advised to use a good pair of gloves and have at it but I was just a little bit paranoid. So, I delegated that job to my husband. Did it get done? No. He kept putting it off and poof! Snow! So, we'll have to survive with annuals that don't hit the chain garden places until May. Since moving here I've given up all hope of having a lush fabulous garden like the good ol' days.

I cross country ski so there is that to do but I think the trails are a bit of a mess now. Once they get groomed, I'll hitch a ride out... Snowshoeing isn't something that I've tried at all but it is popular here. Could be something to do; how do you dress for it?

Iolaire, so you're from Alaska! I learned something about the weather there then as I always thought the whole state had snowy all the time winters. Do you know anything about Nikolaevsk? That's on my list of "go to places" and I want to get there before it's all died out. My husband can't get a U.S. visa no matter how many times he tries so it would be a solo trip unless I can talk someone into it.

You're right in that it must have been utterly awful for the first settlers to experience these winters. It's unimaginable but they did it. Sometimes when I go out early in the mornings to clean my husband's vehicle, cause I can't sleep, and the sky is clear, with the moon and stars, and it's -20C, I think how "my people" used to see beautiful sights and just trudged on through. 
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 05:11:40 PM »

Re: Nikolaevsk. No I don’t know about it but Sitka in SE Alaska celebrates its Russian culture. Is one of the places in Alaska with the most history because it has a hill from Russian times where a fort sat and it has a/some Russian orthodox churches, but I’d guess they are used by other denominations or non profits.

Plus on the horrid weather down here. For me there is no way to dress for the heat, you can only take off so many clothes or all yet you will still be hot. At least with the cold you can add layers.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:14:18 PM by iolaire » Logged

iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 05:45:27 PM »

Nikolaevsk sounds interesting I hope you can go.   ( https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/05/a-17th-century-russian-community-living-in-21st-century-alaska/275440/ )

This quote was interesting to me because a jewish owner of a local chain of sports bar made big news when I was in Fairbanks because he went to New York City to find a wife

Eligible bachelors must leave the tiny village to look for a bride. "My wife, we met at parties in Oregon," Vasily says. "A lot of us younger men that are single, we like to go to Oregon to look for a bride because [there is] more of a chance to find a woman, a bride in Oregon, and we have family there so it made it a lot easier."
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 06:55:14 AM by iolaire » Logged

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 10:14:27 PM »

Maybe instead of talking about what to do about cabin fever we ought to talk about what NOT to do....For instance, unless you've done it many times before with success, I don't recommend one to cut their own hair and leave it to a pro when the city re-opens.  ::) :oops;   

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Naynay99

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 10:58:40 PM »

I hate cabin fever! I’m trying to figure out how to get out of the cold and somewhere warm without traveling too far away, which isn’t really possible right now. Sigh.

Prime timer-
Regarding giving oneself a haircut, I chopped my hair short with kitchen shears a few weeks ago and people kept complimenting me on it.  Hahaha! 
I don’t think the back is very even but apparently nobody noticed.  Anyway it’s just hair and it always grows back. 

Wishing everyone some reprieve from winter weather. 
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 06:49:19 AM »

You're right, Naynay99. My hair will grow back. A spontaneous urge for a haircut should be no big deal except that the cat is sporting a new 'do this morning too.  :Kit n Stik;

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 08:10:02 AM »

Thanks for sharing that article iolaire! It was rather interesting. I know the government (of Russia) is enticing Old Believers back with free land in Siberia but it's really interesting to read about their enclaves in a place like Alaska. Here is hoping I make it to Nikolaevsk before this famous Nina closes her cafe, though. I don't know the first thing about travelling west, let alone into the United States, so flights look daunting.

On a more hilarious note, if I knew Nikolaevsk men were looking for wives, I would have ventured up there earlier instead of going back to the mother ship to dating hell! 

Umm, PrimeTimer, hahahaha, maybe you have a point.  :lol; It wasn't a winter holiday but it might have been Labour Day? I forgot to get my upper lip waxed. I had wax strips for legs so I said, eh, what's the diff? Cut it into a good shape and ripped it off hard. I imagine what came next is similar to being struck by lightning. The stars and the zaps. I had a bruise above my upper lip and it weeped until it scabbed over. So, I had a flaky mustache scab, that shed little flakes, at school. That's hot eh?  :-*

Oh I hear you, NayNay, in regard to a warm getaway. I hope you are able to find something. It is just too much work to get away here. We would have to fly to a major city for the best options. Our airport does have a few seasonal sunshine routes but el-cheapo places in Cuba, Mexico or DR are just eww. And there's always Florida, where half the country winters anyways!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »